PDA

View Full Version : Diet-Do we really need as much food as we think we do?

BoulderDawg
05-27-2009, 10:05 AM
60 minutes ran an interesting segment the other night. It was about another miracle drug that is suppose to make us live longer. From what I saw it appears to make the body think you're super thin even if you're not........doesn't sound good to me.

Anyway the thing I found interesting about the segment was the idea that not only eating less but eating less than we may think we need is the best way to stay healthy. I think the basic idea is that if the body feels it's not getting enough food it goes into a defensive posture releasing certain chemicals and other things to adjust to not getting the normal amount of food necessary.

I can believe that. While starvation diets is certainly not the way to go, a little less than what we think we need sounds like a good plan. If the fashion models would give up the cigarettes and drugs they would probably outlive us all! :D

Suntzu
05-27-2009, 10:34 AM
if people at REAL food they wouldn't be able to eat so much.... REAL food with real fiber is filling and nutrient dense...

but eat crap food that is nutrient poor and calorie dense... you are just asking to be the stay puff marshmellow man.... you have no choice but to eat obese amounts of french fries and diet soda too fulfil your nutrient needs....

BoulderDawg
05-27-2009, 11:05 AM
That's not the point that I'm making. I'm taking as a given that people who are concerned about health eat healthy for the most part.

The point of the 60 minute segnment was that maybe a 2,000 calorie a day diet is even too much for a person just doing normal activity/exercise. Our bodies don't even need that much food unless we're running a marathon every day.

IronFist
05-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Athletes and bodybuilders need a lot of food.

A diet of slightly less-than-optimal calories has been linked to longer life in lab tests, however. The downside is you go through life being skinny.

Among other things, the more you eat, the more free radicals you create in your body, and those aren't good.

I'm falling asleep right now so I'm probably not making sense at the moment. I'll try to post more later if no one else has.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-28-2009, 03:04 PM
Athletes and bodybuilders need a lot of food.

A diet of slightly less-than-optimal calories has been linked to longer life in lab tests, however. The downside is you go through life being skinny.

this.

being strong is awesome. it also requires a lot of food. but its cool because eating is also awesome. as is beer and death metal. also my daughters first dance solo. adora is most awesome.

taai gihk yahn
05-28-2009, 04:34 PM
when people used to ask my sigung what they should eat in order to be healthy, he would reply "not too much" (BTW, ever see any obese 90 y/o Taoist masters?);

animal studies have shown correlation between decreasing caloric intake with increased life span (rats, monkeys, something like that); most peeps could probably get by on a lot less - it's more about habituation, boredom, stress and eating as a way of dealing with that;

in general, drink more water; eat less sugar; move around often; sleep deeply and without worry; breathe deeply in clean early morning air; hug your loved ones as much as possible; appreciate your life as well as complain about it;

BoulderDawg
05-29-2009, 09:15 AM
As far as physical activity goes one just has to wonder if your doing physical activity enough to burn 8,000-10,000 calories then maybe you do more damage than good.

GunnedDownAtrocity
05-29-2009, 10:32 AM
in general, drink more water; eat less sugar; move around often; sleep deeply and without worry; breathe deeply in clean early morning air; hug your loved ones as much as possible; appreciate your life as well as complain about it;

fair enough, but there are people who do all these things while eating heaping portions of clean food. of course im talking about the bodybuilders and lifters who have their health at least as a secondary concern in their sport. those who sacrafice their health to attain their goals are a different breed. at my last meet, this april, i met a 60 year old dude who benched 430. he's certainly not a dime a dozen, but he's not in a leuge of his own either. there are a fair amount of really strong guys in their 60s and 70s on record. and of course there's the old farmers with vice grip hands who live on eggs and bacon and outwork guys a third their age just about seven days a week. i'm not saying there's no truth to what you guys are saying, but i bet its just a small part of a much bigger picture.

Vash
05-29-2009, 06:13 PM
GDA speaks truth.

To determine best caloric intake, factor in the following:

Current Activity Level [Exercise and NEPA]
Climate of Birth Place, or Area Where You Gestated the Longest
Type of Food Most Consumed Pre-Puberty
Stress Levels

There are many more, but that's what I remember off the top of my head.

For me, I do about 3500Kc a day. Will be getting closer to 4k, but will be cutting out carbs, eating only natural protein and fats [red meat, fish, bird, fish oil, protein powder, non-soy], and vegetables by the truckload [4 cups a day of spinach or something leafy, then four cups of other stuff.

Completely remove high-fructose corn syrup, regular corn syrup, artificial carbs [delicious, delicious pop-tarts, fake rice, white bread, fake honey, etc], trans-fats [and fried and fast food in general from your diet and I bet everything I own you will be healthier, fitter, and happier. Without doubt, without fail.

mawali
05-29-2009, 07:28 PM
quoted by vash:
will be cutting out carbs, eating only natural protein and fats [red meat, fish, bird, fish oil, protein powder, non-soy], and vegetables by the truckload [4 cups a day of spinach or something leafy, then four cups of other stuff.

a. Cutting out carbs is not a good idea. Better to lower carbs over time!
b. It is excess red meat that is the problem plus anti-biotic addition to said meats like chicken. Free range in small amounts is preferable.
c. Soil poverty is another problem where minerals and chemical compounds create a less nutrition based product. e.g. for carrots in a perfect soil, you may get 90% carotenoids but with present soil grade, you get only 65%. The colour remain the same, more or less (eyeball test) but the nutritional benefit has been compromised.

Lee Chiang Po
05-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Eat only what you would be able to eat without technology. Like you would eat if you had to forage for food in the wild. If you eat this way you will be healthy.

Taryn P.
05-30-2009, 12:37 AM
When I'm trying to drop a couple pounds, it is absolutely appalling what a miniscule amount of food I have to restrict myself to before seeing the scale move (exercise is always high, so that's not really a factor either way). You look at the "portion" size and think, You've got to be kidding me. Surely a human cannot survive for an entire day on this amount. I'll pass out, or be too weak to lift a pencil. But that never happens; I just feel hungry. And sometimes grumpy.

Look at restaurant portions. I don't eat out much, but when I do, I always take home doggie bags and get 2 meals' worth out of a restaurant meal- sometimes as many as FOUR meals. And there are inactive people eating that much at a sitting! For fast food, just a grilled chicken sandwich alone (no mayo, no fries, no giant soda) more than fills me up. Yet most people go for the meal deal.

TenTigers
05-30-2009, 07:13 AM
move. Too many people look only at calorie consumption without looking at increasing their activity. If you want to raise your metabolic rate, eat frequent small meals, lean protien, low glycemic index carbs, the right kind of fats, plenty of water,and MOVE.
Too many people say that your body slows down as you pass thirty.
That is because you don't run, jump, and play anymore. We like to say, "Life gets in the way." It is a concious act. You need to make the time to play. Schools make the time for recess and phys ed class.
On top of that, if your body is producing less HGH, then you require more exercise as you age, so your need for these things should INCREASE rather than DECREASE. I know several old men in the gyms and in the parks that are in optimum health, because their lifestyle is full of activity, both physical and mental. The brain is a muscle which also requires constant exercise, and if it is deprived stimulation, it will atrophy and die.

SIFU RON
05-31-2009, 08:34 AM
well put Ten Tigers.

IronFist
05-31-2009, 12:23 PM
this.

being strong is awesome. it also requires a lot of food. but its cool because eating is also awesome. as is beer and death metal. also my daughters first dance solo. adora is most awesome.

i cannot thing of a single thing to disagree with in this post.