PDA

View Full Version : Evans/Rampage TUF 10

GreenCloudCLF
05-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Rampage gave up a shot for the belt to fight Evans. I have a feeling that the winner of this fight will be getting a title shot too. If Evans wins, and Machida still has the belt, I have no desire to see it. Unofficially Machida only got punched 4 times in their fight. But, we'll see. This is the article. (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=ArHGn0O6LKWssA08tl9fhig9Eo14?slug=ki-tuften052809&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)

Rampage’ and Evans coach ‘TUF 10’
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
3 hours, 21 minutes ago

When Rashad Evans climbed into the cage at UFC 96 in March following Quinton “Rampage” Jackson’s victory over Keith Jardine and began jawing nose-to-nose with Jackson, many saw it as a stunt devised by the public relations and marketing wizards at the Ultimate Fighting Championship to drum up interest in a future pay-per-view fight.

But on Thursday, during a conference call to announce the coaches for the 10th season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Jackson proved conclusively that angry confrontation with Evans was no stunt.

Jackson declined a shot at the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s light heavyweight title, currently held by Lyoto Machida, in order to coach against Evans on Season 10 and have the opportunity to fight him in December.

The show, which will premiere Sept. 16 on Spike TV, will be known as “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights.” From the way he sounded on Thursday, Jackson would have been willing to teach grandmothers how to knit if it would have gotten him a chance to fight Evans.

Jackson will be appearing on the show for the second time. He coached opposite Forrest Griffin last year on Season 7 and conceded he didn’t like the job. UFC president Dana White offered Jackson either the title shot against Machida or the opportunity to coach on Season 10 and meet Evans.

Jackson didn’t hesitate.

“Everybody knows I didn’t like coaching because I’m a sore loser when it comes to stuff like that,” Jackson said. “I was kind of upset about it and at first, I said I’d never coach again. But I have a good relationship with my first team and this time, I want to go out there and win.

“When I found out who I would be coaching against, I couldn’t turn it down. You know, Rashad left a bad taste in my mouth. He got up in my face (following the UFC 96 fight) with his bad-ass breath. I’m from Memphis. We don’t like that (stuff).”

Vengeance will be his primary motivation, but it won’t be the only one. Jackson also displayed a practical side and, while noting that he wants to become “the best champion who ever lived,” said coaching will give him a long time off between fights and will allow him time to learn the game.

The Ultimate Fighter 10 finale will be Dec. 5. Jackson will fight Evans later in December.

That would give Jackson more than nine months between fights.

“To be honest, I’ve been wanting to sharpen up on some of my skills,” Jackson said. “I’ve wanted to get my wrestling back up to par, and my ground game. This gives me time to continue to heal up. I fought really hard for two fights.

“I trained really hard for the Wanderlei (Silva) fight (at UFC 92 in December) and then I went right into training for Jardine. This will give me time to be with my kids and sharpen up my skills. I’m doing this (because) this is my job, my life. I want to put my best foot forward and I want to be the best champion who ever lived.”

Season 10 will mark Evans’ second appearance on the show, but his first as a coach. Evans, who lost his championship when he was knocked out by Machida on Saturday in the main event of UFC 98, won the heavyweight title on Season 2.

The show will help make the men even bigger stars than they’ve already become. White said there is a direct corrolation between a fighter’s appearance on TUF and his popularity, in terms of selling tickets, pay-per-views and merchandise.

“There’s no doubt about it,” White said of the show’s ability to increase a fighter’s marketability. “Let me put it to you this way. In 2006, Rashad Evans was a security guard in Detroit, Michigan. If that doesn’t give you enough ⦠He headlined a pay-per-view last Saturday that did very well.”

White declined to say how many fighters would take part, saying he’d make that and many other announcements at media day next week in Las Vegas.

He said Machida didn’t want to coach, because he wants to stay busy. Machida had said on his website that he would defend his belt at UFC 103 in September, but White said Thursday that is not true.

White said he is working on an opponent for Machida, but declined to identify him. He said he could make an announcement as soon as Thursday afternoon, but said the possibility exists that the process could drag on. He wouldn’t put a time frame on it, either.

Yung Apprentice
05-29-2009, 01:27 PM
I know there is a lot of ppl on here who no longer like TUF, but I'm still a fan and find it interesting. It's kinda like watching triple A baseball, watching the up and comings, picking out who is going to make it to the majors.

Rampage has a strong chance of winning against Evans. Evans has been an underdog his whole career in the UFC, and he has a legitimate shot of beating Rampage, but I think in the end Rampage will destroy him.

I wonder if the winner of Wanderlei between Franklin.

Violent Designs
05-29-2009, 04:36 PM
TUF: Black on Black Crime

Yung Apprentice
05-30-2009, 07:00 AM
lol.

I forgot to finish my sentence, I wonder if the winner between Franklin and Silva will be take on Machida.

Violent Designs
05-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Machida's next opponent is Shogun.

GreenCloudCLF
05-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Machida's next opponent is Shogun.

Shogun has done nothing to deserve this fight. I hope Machida destroys him so the washed up bag can finally retire and let the better crop of fighters play for awhile.

Violent Designs
05-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Shogun has done nothing to deserve this fight. I hope Machida destroys him so the washed up bag can finally retire and let the better crop of fighters play for awhile.

Why do you hate Shogun so much.

Dude goes through two surgeries and sidelines for a year, loses one fight, and you call him washed up?

Show some respect to one of the most exciting fighters in the world.

GreenCloudCLF
05-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Why do you hate Shogun so much.

Dude goes through two surgeries and sidelines for a year, loses one fight, and you call him washed up?

Show some respect to one of the most exciting fighters in the world.

I don't hate him. I don't think he has the skill and ability he once did. He can turn it around (see Frank Mir), but until I see the heart that was seen in his PRIDE fights, he should be relegated to fighting old people (see Coleman and Iceman)

Violent Designs
05-30-2009, 09:11 AM
Fair enough, that's a reasonable attitude.

Shogun is among my top 5 favorite so gotta support him through thick and thin. :D

GreenCloudCLF
05-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Fair enough, that's a reasonable attitude.

Shogun is among my top 5 favorite so gotta support him through thick and thin. :D

That's how I feel about Couture. Can't wait for his Nogiera fight...

Violent Designs
05-30-2009, 10:22 AM
That's how I feel about Couture. Can't wait for his Nogiera fight...

Man Nogueira is my man, you're on!!!

Yung Apprentice
05-30-2009, 07:04 PM
Shogun ko'ed Lidell, Lidell will be dangerous even at 70 years old when he gets there.

GreenCloudCLF
05-30-2009, 08:49 PM
Shogun ko'ed Lidell, Lidell will be dangerous even at 70 years old when he gets there.

Dangerous compared to the average man. Not dangerous compared to other professional fighters.

GreenCloudCLF
06-02-2009, 03:19 AM
This article (http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-kimbo060109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns) is proof that Dana White is willing to use sensationalism over fighting to gain fans. There is nothing good that can come of this. Leave Kimbo in the abyss of EliteXC's fall, please. TUF already was becoming a bunch of morons degrading the sport, but this takes the cake. I give 8 months before we see Kimbo v. Lesnar...

Y! Sports exclusive: Kimbo gets TUF
By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports
7 hours, 16 minutes ago

LAS VEGAS – Kimbo Slice, the controversial heavyweight who in 2008 headlined the most-viewed mixed martial arts card in history, will be one of 16 contestants on the forthcoming season of “The Ultimate Fighter,” the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s reality TV series.

Dana White, the UFC’s outspoken president, has repeatedly mocked Slice for his lack of fighting ability. Slice, whose real name is Kevin Ferguson, became a cult figure by competing in street fights that were posted on YouTube. Slice’s “bouts” drew tens of millions of views and led him to turn professional.

He fought for the now defunct Elite XC, garnering massive media attention but getting mocked by White and others affiliated with the UFC for a lack of ability.

White has called him a “joke,” a “bum” and “not a real fighter,” among other less than kind descriptions. He said that Slice would “get murdered if he fought in the UFC” and suggested that his lightweight champion, 155-pound B.J. Penn, would “annihilate” the 230-pound Slice.

The UFC president has repeatedly insisted he would not allow Slice to compete in the UFC unless he won his way onto the show by competing on “The Ultimate Fighter,” which beings taping Wednesday and is scheduled to air in September.

Slice has called White’s bluff and will appear on Season 10 of the highly rated Spike TV series, White has confirmed. Fighters live in the same house and train together, and then fight during the show in a bid to earn a UFC contract.

His appearance, along with that of former UFC light heavyweight champions Quinton “Rampage” Jackson and Rashad Evans as coaches, should guarantee massive ratings.

“It should be interesting, given some of the things I’ve said about him,” White said.

Slice, who has a 3-1 professional record, appeared in the main event of the first MMA card shown on network television in the U.S. when he fought James Thompson on May 31, 2008, on CBS.

Slice won by third-round stoppage in a bout that attracted a record 6.5 million viewers and remains the most-viewed MMA bout in history.

But Slice hasn’t fought since Oct. 4, when he was knocked out by a jab from late replacement Seth Petruzelli, a light heavyweight, just 14 seconds into another fight broadcast on CBS. The plug was pulled on Elite XC, which reportedly lost millions of dollars, in the aftermath of the fight.

White promised “some major surprises” as he announced on a Thursday conference call that Jackson and Evans, each of whom is a former light heavyweight champion, would serve as coaches on Season 10.

He declined to say anything further but urged reporters on the call not to miss media day, which is Tuesday at the UFC Training Center in Las Vegas.

White worked hard to keep Slice’s appearance on the show a secret, hoping to have unveiled him Tuesday. Season 10, which is being called “The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights,” was originally slated to feature a cast of eight heavyweights and eight middleweights, but the UFC quietly informed the middleweights who tried out that it was going with an all-heavyweight show.

And unlike in recent seasons, where the competitors had to win a fight to earn their way into the house, there will be no such arrangement this time. All 16 fighters – Spike and the UFC are keeping names of the others a closely guarded secret – will automatically move into the house.

Though White goes to great lengths to insist that nothing on the show is scripted, it’s virtually guaranteed that Slice won’t fight early in the competition. Having him around and alive in the competition is going to keep ratings elevated.

If Slice is able to advance to the live Dec. 5 finale, with a chance to earn a UFC contract with a win, ratings would likely be the largest in Spike history.

Iron_Eagle_76
06-02-2009, 06:32 AM
Dana White is a liar of the worst kind. He constantly put down Kimbo, calling him a joke and what not then turns around and puts him on The Ultimate Fighter. Publicity stunt is all this is and it does two things: 1. Makes the UFC and The Ultimate Fighter seem like an episode of Jon and Kate pluse eight and 2. Proves once and for all what a piece of sh*t White really is.

Violent Designs
06-02-2009, 07:00 AM
c'mon it's not like Kimbo is satan or something.

doesn't seem like that bad of a guy give him some credit for actually fighting seriously.

unlike 99% of this forum.

1bad65
06-02-2009, 07:56 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

As for White, he did say the only way this clown would fight in the UFC would be on TUF. So he did stick to his word. If this even happens, of course.

sanjuro_ronin
06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Wow, a promoter catering to sensationalisim and hype to get ratings !!
What is this world coming to ?!?!

MasterKiller
06-02-2009, 08:53 AM
Kimbo won't be the worst guy to ever be on TUF.

Also, the rumor is that Sean Gannon is also in this season, which should make for some interesting tension, if it's true.

1bad65
06-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Wow, a promoter catering to sensationalisim and hype to get ratings !!
What is this world coming to ?!?!

White did bring back Tito too. Business is business.

If Kimbo is indeed on TUF, I wonder if he has improved at all? Is Bas still running around talking about how hard-working and skilled Kimbo is?

golgo
06-02-2009, 08:38 PM
I think this is a great move. I for one will be watching.

GreenCloudCLF
06-03-2009, 03:22 AM
White did bring back Tito too. Business is business.

If Kimbo is indeed on TUF, I wonder if he has improved at all? Is Bas still running around talking about how hard-working and skilled Kimbo is?

As much as I don't like Tito, at least he was a trained fighter. Not some big doof swinging his massive arms hoping to get lucky.

brothernumber9
06-03-2009, 09:18 AM
Dana White's former remarks on Kimbo aside, this is actually a brilliant move.
He gets to pull Kimbo on board, and in doing so attract all the hype and audience that Kimbo has built up. Is anyone talking about Fedor's next fight on Affliction? nope, all the talk is Kimbo, TUF, and UFC 100.

In addition, rumblings have been made about UFC wanting or needing to attract more of the African American and Latino prospective untapped fans out there. Bringing in Kimbo is a fair move in that direction.

Lastly, Dana doesn't look like a hypocrite and sell out, because he is in essence putting Kimbo through the works, giving him a test. As a result, if Kimbo gets powned, Dana can simply say "look, I told you so before", and if Kimbo does well or even wins, he can point out that Kimbo has trained over the past few years and then on the show and evidently legitimized his self and wasn't just given a pass for being Kimbo Slice.

golgo
06-03-2009, 01:17 PM
Lastly, Dana doesn't look like a hypocrite and sell out, because he is in essence putting Kimbo through the works, giving him a test. As a result, if Kimbo gets powned, Dana can simply say "look, I told you so before", and if Kimbo does well or even wins, he can point out that Kimbo has trained over the past few years and then on the show and evidently legitimized his self and wasn't just given a pass for being Kimbo Slice.

Yup. And Dana may even admit he was wrong Kimbo makes it in (although I doubt it).

I don't know who the other contestant will be, but do you think Kimbo will still intimidate the less experiened fighters?

1bad65
06-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Yup. And Dana may even admit he was wrong Kimbo makes it in (although I doubt it).

I don't know who the other contestant will be, but do you think Kimbo will still intimidate the less experiened fighters?

I doubt it too. Notice the last few seasons the fighters had to win a fight to make it on the show. They aren't doing that this season.

I'b bet the other guys are chomping at the bit to fight him.

Yung Apprentice
06-03-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't know why everyone is so hard on Kimbo, the guy never said he was awesome. He said it himself, he is still learning the trade, and with only four fights under his belt can you really blame him? How many MMA fighters on here can say in their first four fight they looked good against PROFESSIONAL fighters, not amateur fighters.

I don't know how he gives an organization a bad rep. The guy used to beat up guys on youtube a couple years back, but he wasn't really tested (except Ganon) because of his size. So what does he do, he goes into arguable the toughest combat sport there is to test himself and improve. And he's composed himself in a professional manner, even though the whole time ppl like Dana called him a freak and a sideshow. I don't recall Kimbo ever returning the favor.

Oso
09-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Just watched a sneak peak clip on the TUF mainpage.

I really want to see Kimbo go in there, train his ass off, stay out of the drama and prove he is willing to work...wether he win or lose at any given point.

I thought it was BS of Rampage to start off the way he did by telling Kimbo he didn't need to do anything during the 1st workout. They didn't show past that in the sneak peak but I'm hoping Kimbo gets out their and works.

and, frak, those football players are hyuge!!!! even Rashad and Rampage could be seen to kinda swallow and go 'oh, sh!t'.

GreenCloud...not to steal your thunder for starting this topic but I might create a TUF 10 topic and merge this with it...i think there is going to be a lot of discussion about this season and might as well merge things early. *edit* well, looky there...you had one started already :)

goju
09-14-2009, 01:20 AM
id like to see kimbo win the whole thing:D

SoCo KungFu
09-16-2009, 08:06 PM
Dang you say that cut on dude's head? :eek:

Oso
09-16-2009, 08:16 PM
yea, no ****.

pretty unimpressive fight, wrestler couldn't finish, big guy was out of it from the beginning

the 4 fights on 'Fight Night' were pretty good...especially the first one.

Iron_Eagle_76
09-17-2009, 05:03 AM
If last night's fight in any indication of the skill level of this season's fighters, I think Kimbo may stand a chance. On that note, anyone notice that Kimbo was always the leader doing drills on Rampage's team, out front getting it done. Hell, when the big guy was ready to hurl, Kimbo was holding him up trying to help and inspire him. This may be simply good camera work, but I myself am rooting for Kimbo. He is fun to watch, seems humble, and wants to be there. He could have easily gone to another promotion and made money, but he wants to prove he belongs with the best. Regardless, I will be tuning in for the first time in a long time to watch this season, so I guess Dana White did his job. Also, hearing Rampage bust on everyone is worth the watch as well. "Look at the boy, he got titties".

Yung Apprentice
09-17-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey titties! That was hilarious! Yeah, I hope Kimbo wins or at least goes out to someone experienced in the later fights like Wes Simms for the finals or something. Something where he can still hold his head up.

karateguy
09-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Hey, what did you guys think about last night's ultimate fighter..

It totally grossed a lot of people out..

I am interested in hearing your thoughts?

jethro
09-17-2009, 01:45 PM
The show isn't nearly as good as it should be, now that Rashad and Rampage's fight has been postponed. I don't know how much of this is real and how much is staged. I imagine Dana White has asked them to get into arguments as much as possible for our entertainment value. It felt like a waste of time watching last night. I'll just wait for the DVD so I can see the fights.

Oso
09-17-2009, 04:57 PM
I think that the ref should have stopped the fight to allow the ring doc to check that cut out...at one point, blood was pouring out of his head. but, during the 2nd round, he actually stopped bleeding for a bit.

i missed the strike that did the damage though.

i can't decide where this is going to head...I did see Kimbo take sort of a leading role...was **** funny to see that huge football player gassing like that.

gwa sow
09-17-2009, 08:18 PM
at the end they had a close up of that cut when it was being stiched shut. nasty looking cut:eek:

karateguy
09-19-2009, 10:57 AM
yeah, it was gross...

I wonder if they photoshopped it at all

Oso
09-23-2009, 08:14 PM
wow...what a sad fight...but, kinda exemplifies everything i know i've said about 'size matters' ...and conditioning matters more.

Evans team may be in for a rough ride since they are giving up size more often...they might win it but it won't be easy.

and, Roy vs. Kimbo... i dunno, Roy isn't training very hard...or at least they aren't showing him training very hard and Kimbo is getting on it every practice.

i do hope Roy gets that ear drained before the fight...gonna sound like steppin' on a pregnant ****roach if he don't.

Iron_Eagle_76
09-24-2009, 04:49 AM
I really hope Nelson gets KTFO by Kimbo. Not only has he let himself go as far as conditioning, but he is a complete tool as well. Never dreamed I would be rooting for Kimbo this season as much as I am, but I guess a good script will do that:D

Oso
09-24-2009, 05:52 AM
i don't know about a script...it's all being coached from behind the scenes for sure. And, everything surrounding Kimbo has been thought out long and hard...the question is really about what they have decided to show us which is more after the fact than a script...more in the post-production and editing.

Oso
09-24-2009, 01:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dj5xMeXybs

Iron_Eagle_76
09-25-2009, 04:35 AM
Yeah, I know Nelson has an awesome ground game. If you can hang with Frank Mir and Jeff Monson on the ground, you have skills. I just would like to see the upset, or at least a good showing by Kimbo. My prediction for this fight is that Nelson will beat Kimbo, but Kimbo will put on a good fight and if someone gets injured in the finals, Dana will bring Kimbo back. At least if I were writing the script, that's what I would do.:D

Oso
09-25-2009, 05:32 AM
someone who thinks Nelson will win brought that clip to my attention as proof of his ground game...my retort was that it was a 6 year old clip of a much lighter, fitter Nelson and I'm not so sure we are going to see that level from him.

Yung Apprentice
09-25-2009, 05:49 AM
It seems as if Kimbo has been working hard on his ground defense and sprawls, maybe he can keep it standing.

Yung Apprentice
09-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Yeah there were lots of rumors floating around this season. There was one that Gannon guy who beat Kimbo in his only street fight loss was supposed to be on. Then I heard Wes Simms KOs KImbo in a fight, although they wound up on the same team.

I also heard a rumor that Wes KO's Kimbo at the house, and Kimbo supposedly falls into the pool and begins to drown and wes sits back and watches while other ppl scurry out to save Kimbo. Or that Kimbo loses the first fight of the season, yet he didn't fight the first fight.

Whatever, rumors and supposed spoilers have been wrong so far.

goju
09-25-2009, 12:51 PM
looks like kimbos about to ko big country in the preview clip
hopefully he does

Yung Apprentice
09-26-2009, 08:02 AM
I think ppl are starting to respect Kimbo. I think he has shown a side that ppl weren't familiar with. It seems like he is a humble guy, and I know a few ppl who have met him and said he really is like that.

I hope he proves the naysayers wrong. I don't like how in the house everyone is talking about getting a piece of Kimbo. What the heck did Kimbo ever do to anyone to **** them off that much, and to get that many haters. Dude never said he was the best or run his mouth.

goju
09-26-2009, 10:49 AM
yeah but notice they talked **** about kimbo when he wasnt there?
:D

golgo
09-30-2009, 09:28 AM
I thought at one time some one said that Seth P the guy who beat kimbo on elite xc was going to be on this season ultimate fighter as well. Either it was BS or i made a mistake. Would be cool if some one was not able to fight and they brought him on and it ended up being kimbo vs. Seth in a rematch in the final. Wishful thinking maybe.

I think what you may have heard was that he was on TUF already. I think he was on season 2 and didn't win.

Oso
09-30-2009, 08:14 PM
i don't even know what to say...that was not Kimbo out there

it definitely looks like team rampage spent too much time focusing on defense and not enough on offense...got kimbo too concerned with defending the takedown that he didn't have an offensive game dialed in. that one leg kick by kimbo in the first round was good and he should have thrown more of them.

i am sad.

but, there was some foreshadowing...so, we'll see in the end.

goju
09-30-2009, 08:58 PM
country used the most bs underhanded way of winning a fight ive ever seen!!!!:D

girly taps to the TOP OF THE HEAD which is supposed to be illegal!!!!!
i mean come the **** on really??!!! they stopped it for that kimbo even got right up!!!!

this whole things fishy to me and how they made next episode to look like kimbo will be back in its liek something out of a rocky movie!

all we need now is for kimbo to start drinking heavily in the house and looking unkempt and have some elderly old man come up to him and say in a raspy voice" i didnt hear the bell the fights not over" lol!!! then have kimbo have an epiphany and come back and knock everybody out:D

i smell one giant set up on tuf

Katsu Jin Ken
09-30-2009, 10:04 PM
kimbo though the fight got caught up in listening to rampage's defensive stuff when all he really needed to know was how to get off his back. Thats all i would have had him working on, sprawl, shrimp, get up throw bombs REPEAT

Dragonzbane76
10-01-2009, 04:15 AM
yeah nelson got him in that crusifix 2 times and was only thinking about holding him there till the ref. stopped it. I believe Nelson didn't want any part of the stand up, and decided his best bet was for the ground. Kimbo still has a lot of ground game to cover, bet he works on his side mount escapes. :)

Frost
10-01-2009, 04:23 AM

i mean come the **** on really??!!! they stopped it for that kimbo even got right up!!!!

this whole things fishy to me and how they made next episode to look like kimbo will be back in its liek something out of a rocky movie!

all we need now is for kimbo to start drinking heavily in the house and looking unkempt and have some elderly old man come up to him and say in a raspy voice" i didnt hear the bell the fights not over" lol!!! then have kimbo have an epiphany and come back and knock everybody out:D

i smell one giant set up on tuf

The ref stops a fight when the fighter can no longer intelligently defend himself, having both arms trapped and getting hit repeatedly in the head sort of mean he can’t defend himself lol :D

Right or wrong those are the rules and chubby used them to good effect

Frost
10-01-2009, 04:30 AM
yeah nelson got him in that crusifix 2 times and was only thinking about holding him there till the ref. stopped it. I believe Nelson didn't want any part of the stand up, and decided his best bet was for the ground. Kimbo still has a lot of ground game to cover, bet he works on his side mount escapes. :)

How many years has he been training MMA now? (Wasn’t his first fight in 2007?)

You would have thought his ground game would have come on a bit I mean its not like Nelson was ever going to trade with slice, he did what anyone with a bit of sense would do, take his down and beat him were he is a fish out of water

Iron_Eagle_76
10-01-2009, 05:35 AM
They are already playing up the fact that Kimbo will be back and will replace someone who gets hurt. As for the Nelson fight, yeah, Roy won, but since I hate lay and pray fighters I can't really give him a lot of credit. The thing is the UFC wants fighters who are going to entertain and put on a show that fans (many of which do not study martial arts and don't know sh*t about it) will enjoy. It is their income. So I understand why White *****es at guys like Nelson who lay their fat a*ss on top of someone and wait for the ref to stop the fight, because no one wants to see that. Hell, I love to see a good ground war with GNP or great technical submissions, but hate when a fighter does what Nelson did. (Kind of like Matt Hughes does now) Anyway, good for Kimbo for stepping up and we will see him fight again before this season is over.

Frost
10-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Roy might have several fights in under a month, so why on earth risk anything, if lay and pray wins the fight and is legal, who not use it?

He didn’t need great G and P or technical subs... He was fighting a total fish out of water, why risk getting reversed or an injury... he is looking to get to the final and win, not impress in the first round

If Dana hates it so much change the rules and make the sport ultimate kick boxing with no ground work. Or limit mat time to a few seconds, he can't help make the rules then ***** and moan when someone wins using them.

No doubt we will see Kimbo back, he is worth way too much to the UFC, but if after several years of training and 5 pro fights that’s how good his wrestling and BJJ is then they had better really hand pick his opponents (or as elite did offer them incentives not to go to the ground:D )

MasterKiller
10-01-2009, 06:56 AM

Hitting the top of the head is not illegal. Hitting the back of the head is illegal.

Iron_Eagle_76
10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
Roy might have several fights in under a month, so why on earth risk anything, if lay and pray wins the fight and is legal, who not use it?

He didn’t need great G and P or technical subs... He was fighting a total fish out of water, why risk getting reversed or an injury... he is looking to get to the final and win, not impress in the first round

If Dana hates it so much change the rules and make the sport ultimate kick boxing with no ground work. Or limit mat time to a few seconds, he can't help make the rules then ***** and moan when someone wins using them.

No doubt we will see Kimbo back, he is worth way too much to the UFC, but if after several years of training and 5 pro fights that’s how good his wrestling and BJJ is then they had better really hand pick his opponents (or as elite did offer them incentives not to go to the ground:D )

I don't blame Nelson for how he fought what so ever, just saying it makes for a boring fight and people don't want to see that. Argue until your blue in the face and it still does not mean Nelson is an exciting fighter. As for Kimbo, yes, he was a fish out of water who was facing a BJJ black belt who has submitted Frank Mir and went the distance with Jeff Monson, how many people do you think could actually hang on the ground with Roy Nelson, especially in that house. I think Kimbo is going to suprise some people in the future.

MasterKiller
10-01-2009, 10:01 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0hcuh6sRPY&feature=player_embedded

Dragonzbane76
10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
lol.....

Rednecked choke.... classic

Yung Apprentice
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM

Because it does prove to be a boring fight. If fight fans think you are a boring fighter, and your not a fan favorite, then you will either not be re-signed when your contract is up, or you will be put on the waiting list for a shot at the title. Why would you not want to impress your would be boss? Dana has a history of getting rid of boring fighters, or putting them on the shelf! He also is known for giving fan favorites contracts even if they don't win TUF.

dcrj- The UFC need Kimbo more than you think. Although disagree with critics, there are many who think the heavyweight is the weakest division in the UFC. Adding a big name like Kimbo could prove to be good business.

Frost
10-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Because it does prove to be a boring fight. If fight fans think you are a boring fighter, and your not a fan favorite, then you will either not be re-signed when your contract is up, or you will be put on the waiting list for a shot at the title. Why would you not want to impress your would be boss? Dana has a history of getting rid of boring fighters, or putting them on the shelf! He also is known for giving fan favorites contracts even if they don't win TUF.

dcrj- The UFC need Kimbo more than you think. Although disagree with critics, there are many who think the heavyweight is the weakest division in the UFC. Adding a big name like Kimbo could prove to be good business.

It was his first fight in front of no fans with no win bonus and he needed to win without getting hurt, he did that. I bet come the final if he makes it you will see a different fighter.

Kimbo is the biggest ratings pull in the business, why do you think Dana wanted him in the house so much.... and why are they desperate to have him hang around? This episode was the most watched in TUF history I believe, that right there says it all.

Do you really think that they would really bother with a fighter who can only trade stand up and who got knocked out by a light heavyweight nobody and went three rounds with a British fighter with a suspect chin and no ground game if it wasn’t for his fan base?

Frost
10-02-2009, 12:31 AM
I don't blame Nelson for how he fought what so ever, just saying it makes for a boring fight and people don't want to see that. Argue until your blue in the face and it still does not mean Nelson is an exciting fighter. As for Kimbo, yes, he was a fish out of water who was facing a BJJ black belt who has submitted Frank Mir and went the distance with Jeff Monson, how many people do you think could actually hang on the ground with Roy Nelson, especially in that house. I think Kimbo is going to suprise some people in the future.

I don't think he will surprise many people, his ground game in all his fights has showed no sign of improvment at all, and his take down defence is not that great. But i suspect when he makes it to the UFC they will feed him stand up fighters, although seeing how he got knocked out by a light heavyweight in his last fight they had better pick his opponents very carefully :D

goju
10-02-2009, 01:26 AM
im still questioning the legitamacy of that pettruzelli knock out:D

Frost
10-02-2009, 01:49 AM
im still questioning the legitamacy of that pettruzelli knock out:D

Seeing as how it destroyed the entire company i think it was pretty legitimate:D

Now the thompson stoppage....:p

goju
10-02-2009, 11:41 AM
i dont think that lead to it. truth is i think something was fishy behind the downfall and that fight but i dont think we will ever know the truth
but its out there..... http://img2.allposters.com/images/adc/10230651A.jpg

Yung Apprentice
10-04-2009, 06:37 PM
It was his first fight in front of no fans with no win bonus and he needed to win without getting hurt, he did that. I bet come the final if he makes it you will see a different fighter.

Kimbo is the biggest ratings pull in the business, why do you think Dana wanted him in the house so much.... and why are they desperate to have him hang around? This episode was the most watched in TUF history I believe, that right there says it all.

Do you really think that they would really bother with a fighter who can only trade stand up and who got knocked out by a light heavyweight nobody and went three rounds with a British fighter with a suspect chin and no ground game if it wasn’t for his fan base?

His first fight in front of no fans? Live, yes, but even you just finished saying it was the most watched episode in TUF history. And as I said before, you WANT to impress your prospective boss. Laying on top of someone, is not winning him any fans, either. I have yet to hear anyone say, "Wow did you see Big Country lie on top of Kimbo and love tap his head for the whole fight? Gee, I really want to pay to see this guy fight again!"

Would you turn in a job application in flip flops and jean cutoff shorts? Why is in any different in a professional sport?

Kimbo can count the amount of MMA fights he has had on one hand. He's shown a willingness to learn, even saying he wants to train with American Top Team when he gets back to Florida. He has stated many times since TUF he wants focus on BJJ, wrestling, and Muay Thai. He is a likeable, humble guy, with KO power, and a willingness to fight.

To the casual fan, this was their first look at Big Country. And Dana said it right, the guy is jumping around like he won a championship, when all he did was lay on top of a guy. He acted real ****y, and he also acted that way during his training.

Can you honestly say that was an impressive victory? Seriously, without lying to yourself, or trying to sound right, can you say that was an impressive victory?

Katsu Jin Ken
10-04-2009, 08:40 PM
i like Big country but only cause he's fat like me :D

Frost
10-05-2009, 12:48 AM
His first fight in front of no fans? Live, yes, but even you just finished saying it was the most watched episode in TUF history. And as I said before, you WANT to impress your prospective boss. Laying on top of someone, is not winning him any fans, either. I have yet to hear anyone say, "Wow did you see Big Country lie on top of Kimbo and love tap his head for the whole fight? Gee, I really want to pay to see this guy fight again!"

Would you turn in a job application in flip flops and jean cutoff shorts? Why is in any different in a professional sport?

Kimbo can count the amount of MMA fights he has had on one hand. He's shown a willingness to learn, even saying he wants to train with American Top Team when he gets back to Florida. He has stated many times since TUF he wants focus on BJJ, wrestling, and Muay Thai. He is a likeable, humble guy, with KO power, and a willingness to fight.

To the casual fan, this was their first look at Big Country. And Dana said it right, the guy is jumping around like he won a championship, when all he did was lay on top of a guy. He acted real ****y, and he also acted that way during his training.

Can you honestly say that was an impressive victory? Seriously, without lying to yourself, or trying to sound right, can you say that was an impressive victory?

Kimbo is 35, has been training MMA for about 3 years and has had 5 fights, has trained full time with Bas and the American top team. He has an annoying habit of referring to himself in the third person but other than that I have nothing against him, I just don’t think he is anything special and is on the show due to his you tube popularity rather than any skill he actually has. Yes he has KO power but he has not fought anyone of note.

Was Roy’s victory impressive? Well he got the take downs and secured dominate position and won fairly easily.

Was the way he ended it impressive? hell no but he won without any injuries and is through to the next round. Did he impress Dana? no, but lets be honest Roy is not what Dana wants in the UFC, he is not really marketable, the only way he gets into the UFC and gets any real fights is if he wins the season, then Dana will have to offer him some real fights.

The casual fan only really cares about the final fight if we are honest, can anyone remember forests first few fights in the house… or Rashads... or what about Andre Winners in the last series… people only really remember the finals and I think that is what fat boy is aiming at.

What Roy did was beat the biggest name in the house and the person everyone including Dana was talking about, so he is happy big deal, so he was p*ssed off that a no name got more coverage than a former world champion, big deal, the fact is he won and pretty easily.

Yung Apprentice
10-05-2009, 05:43 AM
I agree with your post. I don't know why, but I have always liked Kimbo. I think since he was KO'ed by Seth, he has come off his high horse. To me, he seems humble, since that loss.

I believe his MMA training may be closer to two years, especially taking into account, his hiatus from MMA, I don't know if he was actively training, but you may be right. Regardless two or three years, it's not enough to to handle an experienced champion who is an accomplished black belt in BJJ. I think his ground game will take a while to come around, since, he is basically cramming MMA.

Many ppl on this forum believe, you should train in one aspect, and have a base before cross training. Kimbo hasn't really had a base, except supposedly learning informally, boxing in prison. He is in a completely different predicament than Lesnar, as Lesnar was an accomplished wrestler prior to starting MMA.

At 35, most people wouldn't be able to learn all that in one shot and be competitive in the process, only time will tell if he will be able to.

Frost
10-05-2009, 06:53 AM
I agree and as I said I have nothing against him apart from the annoying habit of talking in the third person (it reminds me so much of the Rock lol :o) )

I just can’t see him being relevant or competitive. As you say he has no real base, he doesn’t mind standing and banging but his stand up is nothing special, its good but not up there with the better MMA strikers, and those he can hurt on his feet will be better wrestlers and ground fighters, and as you say time is against him in becoming a well rounded fighter…

What he does have is a following and a real appeal to the casual fan so we will see him again in the UFC, and they will market him well and look after him and make a load of money off him (and if he is smart for him as well.)

Yung Apprentice
10-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Do you smell what the Rock is cooking???? (I'm sorry, I couldn't help!:D)

Frost
10-06-2009, 02:19 AM
It was a sad day when the master of the one liners left the ring, and even sadder when he stopped making action movies and headed over to the dark side at Disney :(

Yung Apprentice
10-07-2009, 01:35 PM
The way things are going, who knows, maybe we will see him in MMA!

Yung Apprentice
10-10-2009, 08:22 AM
Anyone watch the last episode? I'm a Rampage man, and I never was too fond of Rashard, but Rashard is a d@mn good coach, I was impressed to see him work with his guys. I think he gets being a good coach from Greg Jackson. But he is very good at working with the guys.

I was kinda blown away that Rampage just left his fighter alone in the ring, and didn't bother consoling him. The guy just lost his chance of winning the UFC contract, and now has to take the longer route of making it into the UFC. These guys are trying to be professional fighters, and aren't making much until they can get that big contract. His dreams just got further away from him.

And Rampage was feeling sorry for himself as a coach, and was agitated that the young fighter got caught in an anaconda choke. Rashard showed a lot of class by going over there and speaking with the young guy, even though he isn't his coach.

Oso
10-10-2009, 09:56 AM
yea, i agree completely. I never thought much of Rampage the first time he coached.

he is funny to listen to though.

Frost
12-21-2009, 02:33 AM
So I finally got to watch the Kimbo Houston fight, got what a snooze fest that was. I got dizzy in the first view rounds watching them dance around the ring. Then laughed my ass off when Goldie was saying we were seeing the evolution of a MMA fighter, and Kimbo had really been working on his ground game and it showed.! Houston (who in notorious for having zero skills on the ground) escaped mount twice via the back door, kimbo went for a rear naked choke, and Goldie bless him got really excited until Rogan pointed out he wasn’t even on his back lol

Three years of ground training with Bas then ATT and this is the level he has got to? Somehow I doubt he will be challenging for the title anytime soon

goju
12-21-2009, 04:31 AM
that was far from a boring fight^ and kimbo improved greatly in it

Frost
12-21-2009, 04:52 AM
that was far from a boring fight^ and kimbo improved greatly in it

Far from a boring fight, about 8 minutes of circling one way with a leg kick thrown every 2 minutes?

And he improved greatly… well his level was so low it wasn’t that hard to improve some but greatly…come on against a guy he outweighed and who had no ground skills he had difficulty holding mount and recognising the difference between back mount and laying on someone’s side

goju
12-21-2009, 05:13 AM
yes the only boring part was houston circling away and girly kicking him in the leg

exactly kimbo was just a backyard brawler and hes coming along way

oh come on its not like alenxander has no ground game at all:rolleyes: even with some oen whos not thatg ood its still hard to hold them down when they are resisting:D

Frost
12-21-2009, 05:24 AM
yes the only boring part was houston circling away and girly kicking him in the leg

exactly kimbo was just a backyard brawler and hes coming along way

oh come on its not like alenxander has no ground game at all:rolleyes: even with some oen whos not thatg ood its still hard to hold them down when they are resisting:D

And that lasted for a round and a half, half the match

its rare you see someone just simply stand up and come out of the back door when mounted, its only happens with those not very good at grappling (no idea about using pressure, gripping with the legs etc)

He was a back yard brawler before elite got hold of him, he has been a pro MMA fighter for over two years, training full time and yet his ground skills are still terrible

Alexander has never won by submission, has lost twice to subs and is one of the worst ground guys at that weight catagory why do you think Dana made the match up?

goju
12-21-2009, 05:41 AM
hey you cant make the guy fight look at the letis fight with silva he pretty much ran away a great deal of the time too:D

yes and again its a fight things can go wrong when your jucied up on adrenaline and the punches are for real look what hapepend with hoyce and matt hughes he made it look like gracie didnt know how to grapple at all

yes thats two years grappling takes alooooong time to learn and master:D and it all depends on how good his coach is as well

Frost
12-21-2009, 05:50 AM
hey you cant make the guy fight look at the letis fight with silva he pretty much ran away a great deal of the time too:D

yes and again its a fight things can go wrong when your jucied up on adrenaline and the punches are for real look what hapepend with hoyce and matt hughes he made it look like gracie didnt know how to grapple at all

yes thats two years grappling takes alooooong time to learn and master:D and it all depends on how good his coach is as well

well one of his coaches was your hero Bas, and the other Ricardo Liborio, probably the best BJJ coach in the world so he did have some good people helping him :)

Royce was fighting a world class grappler and looked bad, alexander has never looked good and still managed to stand up straight out of mount twice

goju
12-21-2009, 06:00 AM
well one of his coaches was your hero Bas, and the other Ricardo Liborio, probably the best BJJ coach in the world so he did have some good people helping him :)

Royce was fighting a world class grappler and looked bad, alexander has never looked good and still managed to stand up straight out of mount twice

i know him and bas had a falling out and there was back and forth smack talk between the two including including kimbo saying he wasnt being taught well:D

exactly a world class grappler looked like he didnt know a darn thing on the ground so imagine how a newb would do :D

and kimbo had aloooooot on his shoulders for that fight

1 it was his first official ufc fight and supposedly everyone that gets in there the first time has butterflies

and 2. he had to prove he wasnt some hack and he could fight after those bad losses

Cimaroon
12-21-2009, 06:07 AM
3 years seems about right....taht would put him at what, blue belt level? And even then of course he isnt going to the ground, he is a st8 banger. I apprectiate what he has gone through. Big up kimbo

Frost
12-21-2009, 06:58 AM
i know him and bas had a falling out and there was back and forth smack talk between the two including including kimbo saying he wasnt being taught well:D

exactly a world class grappler looked like he didnt know a darn thing on the ground so imagine how a newb would do :D

and kimbo had aloooooot on his shoulders for that fight

1 it was his first official ufc fight and supposedly everyone that gets in there the first time has butterflies

and 2. he had to prove he wasnt some hack and he could fight after those bad losses

i know you have a hard on for the hughes royce fight but comparing how someone looks fighting a world class grappler (who also has blackbelt levels of submission skills) and how someone looks fighting a fish out of water is just silly.

kimbo fought someone with bad to terrible ground skills and who he outweighed and he still did not look that good on the ground

Frost
12-21-2009, 07:03 AM
3 years seems about right....taht would put him at what, blue belt level? And even then of course he isnt going to the ground, he is a st8 banger. I apprectiate what he has gone through. Big up kimbo

3 years of full time training should make him a blue or purple, which means he should know the positions, how to move through them and hold them, how and when to apply submission etc, what i saw in the fight was at best white belt level

goju
12-21-2009, 09:39 AM
i know you have a hard on for the hughes royce fight but comparing how someone looks fighting a world class grappler (who also has blackbelt levels of submission skills) and how someone looks fighting a fish out of water is just silly.

kimbo fought someone with bad to terrible ground skills and who he outweighed and he still did not look that good on the ground

no because nerves and adrenaline both play into it if a so world class grappler can get flustered and let everything go out the window than why is it not suprising a newb grappler would?

oh bollocks you act like kimbo was fihting uriah faber for christssakes lol:D neither oen of them were small men

Frost
12-22-2009, 02:58 AM
no because nerves and adrenaline both play into it if a so world class grappler can get flustered and let everything go out the window than why is it not suprising a newb grappler would?

oh bollocks you act like kimbo was fihting uriah faber for christssakes lol:D neither oen of them were small men

It was a catch weight fight and slice was the bigger man

Oh and come off it can't you see the difference between being made to look bad by a champion wrestler and world class submission guy and looking bad whilst fighting someone who is at best a blue belt?

The fact is kimbo has been training full time for three years and in that time has developed a ground game that can be best called mediocre, why do you think they matched him against a striker known for have a bad ground game and who had lost his last three fights in the UFC?