PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think ...

Yao Sing
05-28-2009, 11:31 PM
I'm hesitant to give this guy a hard time publicly because I believe in honesty in MA and don't like when someone misrepresents their Kung Fu but don't like to bash someone who has students who look up to him.

Here is a link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUyvK28K2bc&feature=related) to what is claimed as 7 Star Mantis. The website is here (http://www.7starmartialarts.com/).

For those unfamiliar with this form it is a Wah Lum form. There is also a clip of a student doing the Wah Lum double broadsword set.

Apparently he teaches Wah Lum under the banner of 7 Star. I see on the website he's a student of Raymond Fogg who is an ex-Wah Lum Sifu. Jeff Hughes is listed in the lineage also and his clips show mostly Wah Lum and not 7 Star.

I know there are ex-Wah Lum guys out there teaching it under a different name but should it fall under a different, legimate, Mantis style? Call it a made up name but don't misrepresent it.

What do the 7 Star people think about this? Is it fair to the students who think this is 7 Star Mantis they are learning? Have the sets been absorbed onto the 7 Star style and tweaked to adhere to this specific way of Mantis?

Should these guys be called out when they publicly display Wah Lum forms passed off as 7 Star?

I hate to crack his bowl of rice but dishonesty in CMA needs to stop.

What does everyone think about this?

Yao Sing
05-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Any 7 Star guys want to comment on this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55JPuIUh534&feature=channel). The handset after the girl with the broadsword.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

yu shan
05-29-2009, 04:55 AM
Yao, did I hear him say WL came from Shaolin Long Fist? But he clearly announces a WL form as being from WL.

18elders
05-29-2009, 05:01 AM
He did mention his main style is 7star and he also teaches wah lum. When the girl did the broadsword form, he said this form is from wah lum so he isn't misrepresenting it. I think as long as he tells his students what form is from what style it's ok.

MightyB
05-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Don't mire yourself in the politics of crazy.

He is legit 7* and WL.

Their branch / line comes from Chiu, and Chung, and yes- it also comes from the "temple".

Yao Sing
05-29-2009, 07:39 AM
My bad, I watched the videos without sound and skipped past all the talking anyhow. :o

I know of quite a few out there teaching Wah Lum under other names as not to stir up trouble with MC and I guess I assumed too much.

This thread can die now unless anyone has anything to say regarding truth in CMA.

It seems the Internet makes it impossible to get away with the things that were easy in the past.

mantid1
05-29-2009, 12:16 PM
There are alot of story tellers in the CMA.

I heard this one about a dude named Wang Lang...or something like that...he captured some kind of insect..............

And then there was the Indian dude who went to China and settled with a group of Monkeys.....or was it monks??cant remember.....I think he meditated in a cave for seven years striaght....one of his desciples cut off his arm out of respect while waiting for him.....or something like that....then the indian dude ripped his eye lids off and threw them to the ground because he was angry for falling asleep..then.......tea shrub...palnt...whatever you call it grew in that very place.......,.

yep, truth in the CMA.........

yu shan
05-29-2009, 02:26 PM
I thought the guy looked pretty darn good performing the Seven Star hand form, but 18 elbows sucks no matter who does it!

spiralstair
05-30-2009, 08:35 AM
Yu,

I always thought you did it O.K......

:);)

yu shan
05-30-2009, 12:52 PM
LOL, you gotta be kidding with me Spiral, I sucked big time with this form IMO.

spiralstair
05-30-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, I am trying to recall a time long, long ago...

Could be I'm mixing you up with someone else....like maybe....

Naah!

It's definitely Yu, thinner with darker hair, nailing it on the spot!

:D:D:D

Peace

yu shan
05-30-2009, 02:34 PM
"thinner with dark hair" HA, that was a long time ago man. Had a 29 in waist until I married the Puerto Rican, her cooking fixed that. ;)

SIFU RON
05-31-2009, 08:57 AM
this school is doing great things for people, regardless of the stlye, they are teaching children good things and setting proper examples of Wude ( respect ).
Very nice to see this.