PDA

View Full Version : A general question for the forum

m1k3
06-01-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't want anyone to take too much time away from the stone throwing on in the other threads but I have a question I'd like to put to the forum as a whole.

Does anyone here practice Wing Chun, or whatever martial art it is that they practice simply because it is fun? :confused:

I mean there are so many arguments about who has the real wing chun, who has the real Zen, what is and isn't fighting, whose linage is best, or at least most historically accurate and so on.

I truly enjoy the arguments and mouth battles and I don't want to stop anyone from putting down another forum member but does anyone here enjoy training?

I'll be honest. I am a Larper, I have no intention of getting into fights or competing in BJJ or MMA matches. I train because I have fun doing it. When I was doing my BJJ training I liked the rolling, it was fun. When I train SLT I do it because I enjoy it, it too is a type of fun.

I just don't get much of a feeling that people here enjoy what they are doing.

I could be wrong so please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Mike.

:D

scottking
06-01-2009, 10:20 AM
I would like to think that everyone on this forum trains in wing chun because their was an element of fun in it, or else whats the piont, I dont see the piont in doing anything if it isnt fun, or at least has some fun attached to it but wing chun isnt just fun, its interesting too, because it is a traditional style, with its different forms, empty hands weapons and jong, all these elements give you a lot to think about and keeps it interesting and yes fun. If I didnt want to do a traditional style i would have took up Thai boxing, and yes thats fun too.

scottking
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Before anyone jumps down my throat yes i know Thai boxing is a traditional style

t_niehoff
06-01-2009, 10:29 AM
I practice WCK because it is fun. Same for BJJ.

Why do people play sports? Why do they do combative sports? For enjoyment. For fun. Do they get other things -- fitness, friends, etc. -- from those activities? Sure. But they do them mainly because they are fun.

I like fighting. I like hitting and being hit (and trying to avoid being hit). I like grappling. I like the challenge, the struggle, the game.

m1k3
06-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the answers, which I agree with whole heartedly. I just wasn't getting much, "I do this because I enjoy it", out of the forum recently. Everything was so serious.

I enjoyed rolling in BJJ, and may enjoy it again in the future and I enjoy putting the gloves on and smacking and being smacked around. Unfortunately at 55 I just don't enjoy it as often as I used to. :rolleyes:

Luckily I can style work out and If I can't spar and roll as much as I would like I can still obsess about bench pressing.:p

Yoshiyahu
06-01-2009, 10:50 AM
I do Wing Chun so I can fight. Fight hard, Hit hard and deflect and intercept another persons attacks. I train Wing Chun so if someone evers try to punk me or attack me. I have the power to hurt them. Thats why I train Wing Chun!

I practice WCK because it is fun. Same for BJJ.

Why do people play sports? Why do they do combative sports? For enjoyment. For fun. Do they get other things -- fitness, friends, etc. -- from those activities? Sure. But they do them mainly because they are fun.

I like fighting. I like hitting and being hit (and trying to avoid being hit). I like grappling. I like the challenge, the struggle, the game.

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I don't want anyone to take too much time away from the stone throwing on in the other threads but I have a question I'd like to put to the forum as a whole.

Does anyone here practice Wing Chun, or whatever martial art it is that they practice simply because it is fun? :confused:

I mean there are so many arguments about who has the real wing chun, who has the real Zen, what is and isn't fighting, whose linage is best, or at least most historically accurate and so on.

I truly enjoy the arguments and mouth battles and I don't want to stop anyone from putting down another forum member but does anyone here enjoy training?

I'll be honest. I am a Larper, I have no intention of getting into fights or competing in BJJ or MMA matches. I train because I have fun doing it. When I was doing my BJJ training I liked the rolling, it was fun. When I train SLT I do it because I enjoy it, it too is a type of fun.

I just don't get much of a feeling that people here enjoy what they are doing.

I could be wrong so please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Mike.

:D

As of right now, having retired from competition AND from beating people up for money, all the MA I do is for fun and exercise, though I still do it with a "mean streak", LOL !
WC is no exception.
It is no more or no less effective than any of the other systems I am expereinced with.
It is aslo fun to beat up on the wooden dummy :D

Sihing73
06-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Hello,

I enjoy Wing Chun and got into it because I thought it would be an effective means of Self Defense\Fighting. I must say it worked out okay for me.

Now, if I can find a BJJ or other grappling school with some attractive female students I may enjoy rolling on the ground as well................:D:p Unfortunately the thought of rolling around with hot sweating males is not as appealing....but hey maybe that's just me. ;)

sanjuro_ronin
06-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Hello,

I enjoy Wing Chun and got into it because I thought it would be an effective means of Self Defense\Fighting. I must say it worked out okay for me.

Now, if I can find a BJJ or other grappling school with some attractive female students I may enjoy rolling on the ground as well................:D:p Unfortunately the thought of rolling around with hot sweating males is not as appealing....but hey maybe that's just me. ;)

P r u d e
:p

m1k3
06-01-2009, 11:40 AM
I do Wing Chun so I can fight. Fight hard, Hit hard and deflect and intercept another persons attacks. I train Wing Chun so if someone evers try to punk me or attack me. I have the power to hurt them. Thats why I train Wing Chun!

OK, but do you enjoy it? Do you go to class and have fun. It might be hard work, and sore muscles and bruises but is it fun?

As for the fight hard stuff, can you use your wing chun to intercept a bullet? :eek:

Sihing73
06-01-2009, 11:58 AM
As for the fight hard stuff, can you use your wing chun to intercept a bullet? :eek:

I can...........although I may not be the same after intercepting the bullet :D

m1k3
06-01-2009, 12:03 PM
I can...........although I may not be the same after intercepting the bullet :D

Yeah, that's kind of where I was going with this. Intercepting the bullet is easy, its what comes after that get difficult.

Thats why I was going back to looking at training as a way to have fun. A masochistic way to have fun, but still a way to have fun.

:)

HumbleWCGuy
06-01-2009, 12:11 PM
No... I just like to talk smack about others... Just kidding....I only practice it because it works well for me and has never failed. Not being beaten up is considered fun in my book.

t_niehoff
06-01-2009, 12:54 PM
No... I just like to talk smack about others... Just kidding....I only practice it because it works well for me and has never failed. Not being beaten up is considered fun in my book.

When people say things like "WCK has never failed for me" I know they are full of crap. I don't care who you are or what MA you train, but if it has never failed for you, then you just aren't doing it (fighting with it). Or, you are doing it with complete and utter scrubs.

Fighting skill, which includes skill in WCK or skill in boxing or skill in BJJ or whatever, comes from getting your ass whooped. That's how you learn. By getting your ass whooped. The better you are, the more ass whooping you took. It's that simple. And if you haven't taken the whoopings, then you can't be any good.

m1k3
06-01-2009, 01:25 PM
T, you mean like oh say the first 5 months of training BJJ where it seems the most important skill you can develop is your skills in tapping. :)

lkfmdc
06-01-2009, 02:38 PM
a lot of people in this work play raquet ball

they get a good workout and have fun doing it

more power to them!

if a raquet ball player told me that by doing raquet ball they are actually learning to fight, and could just as easily pick up a sword and use it, blah blah blah then I'd tell them they are crazy

unfortunately in TCMA, a lot of people who are really just doing some culturally cool physical education clases think they are fighters. That is the problem

anerlich
06-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Now, if I can find a BJJ or other grappling school with some attractive female students I may enjoy rolling on the ground as well

Four hotties at my BJJ class last night.

That said, a BJJ class is probably not your greatest place ot meet women, though I know one engaged couple that met there.

A couple of girls at my WC class are now a couple too ... both pretty easy on the eye as well ... what you got to say about that, Dave?

There's ample evidence you can take this stuff way too seriously, that's for sure. I for one am not training to beat people up or to prevail in deathmatches which are ridiculously unlikely to ever happen. According ot "Strong on Defense", martial skill is one of the least important requirements in surviving violent crime.

Sihing73
06-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Four hotties at my BJJ class last night.

A couple of girls at my WC class are now a couple too ... both pretty easy on the eye as well ... what you got to say about that, Dave?

I am booking a flight to Australia, hot bodies and that accent.......a real turn on.

I am also open to being an ambassador of good will to the two in your WC class. Perhaps my chi will turn them from the dark side..............:p

Too bad I am raising my own girls right now and have no social life :(

Of course they are worth it. :)

anerlich
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
I am also open to being an ambassador of good will to the two in your WC class. Perhaps my chi will turn them from the dark side..............

Many have tried and failed already, though no doubt many more will try as the potential rewards, albeit illusory, appear wondrous ... while I want my friends to find happiness together in whatever form ... it is hard to avoid subvocalizing the phrase "criminal waste" from time to time.

No male gays I've identified conclusively, though there's a few guys I wouldn't turn my back on in the change room ;)

Of course they are worth it.

I'm sure.

Sihing73
06-01-2009, 07:20 PM
Many have tried and failed already, though no doubt many more will try as the potential rewards, albeit illusory, appear wondrous ... while I want my friends to find happiness together in whatever form ... it is hard to avoid subvocalizing the phrase "criminal waste" from time to time.

No male gays I've identified conclusively, though there's a few guys I wouldn't turn my back on in the change room ;)

The fun could be in the trying. Of course a true Yank like myself could be just what the doctor ordered. Plus my WC skills may invoke either sympathy or awe depending on their expecations. Either one will work for me........sympathetic ladies are always a plus.

However, I digress and appoligize for straying off the subject.

I enjoy Wing Chun and the more so with a woman who enjoys it as well. My first wife and I were partners in both Wing Chun and life. We had a good balance which unfortunately came to an end too soon.

-木叶-
06-01-2009, 08:17 PM
I practice Wing Chun because its fun, interesting, keeps me fit, builds me a nice bod, and most importantly, cultural preservation :)

Lee Chiang Po
06-02-2009, 10:28 PM
I sort of just fell into WC as a very young person. Family activity. I don't know much about Chinese culture and don't really even speak the language. Borne in the USA. I can hardly remember, but I would say I probably didn't like to practice when I was younger, but as I gained some skills I sort of liked the feeling of being able to force my will upon others. I would have most of the kids in my school on my protection list, and I collected up all their lunch money. I don't think I really trained a lot past about 35 years of age. The thing about WC skills is that once you have developed them to a certain point they seem to be perminent. The same with JJJ. Once you develop a number of really good moves you are good to go. But then I did get some OJT along the way too. I retired from my primary work as a printer back in 1992, and at that time I also retired from other lines of work. At my advanced age I can still break a spine with a single palm punch, kick a pelvic in half, or even crush a skull with a palm strike. I can not deflect a bullet however, and have absorbed a few of them. I have also been beaten beyond recognition a few times, and on a couple of occasions I would swear that I had been left for dead. Never by a single individual however.