PDA

View Full Version : Taking a "Break"

AdrianK
06-02-2009, 02:18 AM
In every form of legitimate education, there is always specific, defined periods where students are encouraged to take a break from the learning. This is beneficial for students for a number of reasons... but what do you think of the same concept being applied to martial arts?

I think the Martial Arts community in general can learn a lot from the way universities and colleges are set up and run. Unfortunately most instructors I've met never made it to college :mad:

sanjuro_ronin
06-02-2009, 05:21 AM
Students are encouraged to take a break from "formal" or "organized" learning, but not learning per say.
Just like when you go on a sabbatical, its just learning in another form.
In MA, those that have been blessed with great teachers, are told to go out and learn from other systems, to experiment, to "take a break" from our "core" system and spread our wings and bee exposed to the whole other world of possibilities.
Most come back with a new found love for their core system, with a few new "tricks" and a whole lot of respect for MA in general.

TenTigers
06-02-2009, 08:15 AM
funny thing-whenever I take a two -three, (sometimes longer depending upon circumstance) break, I make breakthroughs. Sometimes I just work on structure, or footwork or simply thinking about it and visualizing, but I make changes and progress.
I still don't get it, but my teacher tells me that once you reach a certain point, it is not nearly so much physical as it is mental.

Lucas
06-02-2009, 01:22 PM
ive found the same to be with me ten tigers. Generally after periods when I have been injured, then return to full training.

i also noticed (back when I was heavily into pencil and ink art) that when I would take breaks from the constant practice, i would make great leaps on skill. My skill in drawing has always recieved the greatest bounds and advances after periods of rest.

i dont know why. it got to a point where I would take deliberate breaks after i felt a 'plateau' to help me get past it.

The breaks I would take were long enough that when I would return i was rusty. but quickly i would get warmed up, reach my old level of development, then pass it.

thats how i have always made my progression with art.

sihing
06-02-2009, 02:28 PM
This is all wrong thinking. Too improve fighting you must fight, fight and fight some more. It's all physical, this mental stuff, taking breaks, visualization, is for fantasy fighters...:p:confused:

James

AdrianK
06-02-2009, 03:57 PM
^
Perhaps you could explain how scientifically you are correct, as we have had several people so far with similar experiences in the matter that contradict your assertion.

HumbleWCGuy
06-02-2009, 04:45 PM
In every form of legitimate education, there is always specific, defined periods where students are encouraged to take a break from the learning. This is beneficial for students for a number of reasons... but what do you think of the same concept being applied to martial arts?

I think the Martial Arts community in general can learn a lot from the way universities and colleges are set up and run. Unfortunately most instructors I've met never made it to college :mad:

I agree. However, rather than the pronounced breaks that you see with school, I prefer that my students take anywhere from 2 weeks to a month at most rather than 3-4 months as fitness is so important to what we do that I just don't want them to fall behind.

Ardhi
06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
I think 2-3 day ( or a week off) breaks in training are beneficial to the body and mind. Both get to absorb the information and return refreshed. For obvious reasons I think older practioners find it easier to implement.

sihing
06-02-2009, 06:13 PM
^
Perhaps you could explain how scientifically you are correct, as we have had several people so far with similar experiences in the matter that contradict your assertion.

Actually I was trying to be sarcastic, in the spirit of someone that posts here often.

Personally I've experienced most everything that everyone has posted. I've taken time off serious training a few times only to come back with fresh energy and skills at the same level. I've also met people that have experienced this phenomenon as well, my 1st Sifu and Sifu Lam to name a few. What I find is that sometimes we get fixated on something we are training on. The process of thinking takes away from the natural flow and movement when training, this can stiffle the learning curve. When coming back from a break, the mistakes are forgotten and the thinking is lessened, thereby allowing a faster progression to happen. At least this is what I've found in my personal training.

James

AdrianK
06-02-2009, 07:16 PM
Actually I was trying to be sarcastic, in the spirit of someone that posts here often.

Ah! Makes sense now. My bad :D

couch
06-03-2009, 04:44 AM
When I take a break from physical training, that's when I research like crazy. And that's when my time really pays off.

Lucas
06-03-2009, 10:28 AM
When I take a break from physical training, that's when I research like crazy. And that's when my time really pays off.

thats a pretty good point. i do the same thing.

sihing
06-03-2009, 01:18 PM
Training and learning is never just physical. It's impossible to be training physically 24/7, one must take a break to allow the body to recuperate. But when you are doing that, you can learn to intellectually, emotionally understand better what you are trying to achieve.

I've learned a ton intellectually about what WC/VT is and isn't by reading articles from various sources, talking with other informed individuals and instructors, watching DVD's and utube vids. The learning can be in the form of what to do, and what not to do, positive and negative stimulus, both help as long as you can recognize what is what. I've also learned a ton from teaching. Repeating and demonstrating to students the nuiances of your art bring about in yourself and more thorough understanding of what you are doing.

The thing is one must know why they are training in the Martial Arts, and what they want out of the training. Some want strictly fighting ability. Some want to learn an art form, some want it for self protection and others just to stay in shape. To each their own reasons, none is less or more important, as long as they are honest in the approach and with themselves. I for one am not interested as much in the fighting aspect. Yes, I want to know how VT allows me to defend myself, but personally I already have enough knowledge and skills for that IMO. I'd rather learn more about the art, and learn the art form while obtaining the skills it teaches, just for that purpose alone. Most of what VT teaches we will never need to use, since 99.9% of us are not fighters per say. So why then subject ourselves to the detail and preciseness the art requires of us in training? Maybe because we LIKE the process, and enjoy the training.:confused::)

James