PDA

View Full Version : Harakiri (1962)

Lucas
06-02-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm sure many of you have seen this film. If you havent however, and are a fan of Samurai movies, or Bushido, this is a GREAT film.

I'm suprised I never knew about this film in the first place. Got to love the random netflix selections.

I also find the moral behind the film to such a frighteningly close correlation to modern world polotics. its almost funny.

GeneChing
06-02-2009, 09:58 AM
Harakiri is a true chanbara classic, a powerful tale of bushido.

Lucas
06-02-2009, 10:16 AM
Gene, have you read the book: Sun and Steel (http://www.amazon.com/Sun-Steel-Japans-Modern-Writers/dp/0870114255) ?

Its a quick read, and IMO, well worth it.

GeneChing
06-02-2009, 10:20 AM
I read a fair amount of Mishima actually. I'm not sure he translates that well to English and I don't speak any more Japanese than needed to get in and out of a dojo.

I even have a hardbound edition of Mishima's Hagakure: The Samurai Ethic and Modern Japan, which is an illuminating read.

Did you ever see Shrader's Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters? It's worth a look. Philip Glass did a fantastic soundtrack with the Kronos Quartet, who I was also very into at the time. I still have that CD.

Lucas
06-02-2009, 10:41 AM
I have not seen that, but thanks a ton for the referral. I'll definately be checking that one out.

I'll also have to see if I can track down his version of Hagakure. Im sure he has some very interesting views.