PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Shek Kin aka Mr. Han

doug maverick
06-04-2009, 12:15 PM
so apparently another kung fu movie icon(say what u want DC was an Icon) has passed away: from kung fu cinema.com:

Hong Kong has lost one of its greatest and longest living film treasures. Veteran martial arts actor Shek Kin (aka Shih Kien, Sek Kin), best known internationally for his role in ENTER THE DRAGON as "Mr. Han," died this morning at the venerable age of 96.

Gregory So, Hong Kong's Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development expressed regret at the loss.

"Mr. Shek's brilliant career in the performing arts industry started in the 1940s. Since then he devoted lifelong commitment to the industry. He played a villain role in the Wong Fei-hung film series and had become one of the most recognizable faces of Hong Kong cinema," said So.

"With his death, Hong Kong has lost an outstanding performing arts talent. On behalf of the Commerce and Economic Development Bureau, I offer our deepest condolences to Mr. Shek's family."

Shek was one of the territory's most recognizable actors thanks to a prolific career that spanned over 50 years. Born in 1913, Shek was among the first generation of martial arts stars including Walter Cho, Kwan Tak-hing and Yu So-chow, who flourished during the initial genre boom of the 1950s and '60s. Trained in several northern kung fu disciplines rather than Chinese opera like so many of his peers, Shek began appearing in Cantonese-language martial arts films in the late 1940s. Up until he was cast as the lead villain in ENTER THE DRAGON, Shek was best known as the lead villain in the long-running WONG FEI HUNG film series where he frequently crossed fists and wits with series star Kwan Tak-hing.

In the 1970s and '80s, Shek continued to appear in a variety of films, most notably in ENTER THE DRAGON but also in a comedic supporting role opposite Jackie Chan in THE YOUNG MASTER. He also frequently appeared in local television series. Shek Kin retired from the entertainment industry in the mid-1990s. His final film role was in Bosco Lam's comedy HONG KONG ADAM'S FAMILY (1994).

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 12:22 PM
RIP Mr. Han Man.

Wong Ying Home
06-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Here is Master Shek Kin demonstrating in 1984. Another loss in the martial arts community.

Mike Martello, David Carradine and now Master Shek Kin - loss indeed but we can be grateful for their huge contributions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg3EOMO0Pco

GeneChing
06-04-2009, 12:43 PM
David Carradine (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54141) and Shek Kin in one day! This is a tragic moment for the wulin.

Veteran actor mourned (http://www.news.gov.hk/en/category/healthandcommunity/090604/html/090604en05003.htm)
Acting Secretary for Commerce & Economic Development Gregory So has expressed deep regret over the loss of veteran actor Sek Kin who died this morning.

"Mr Sek's brilliant career in the performing arts industry started in the 1940s. Since then he devoted lifelong commitment to the industry. He played a villain role in the Wong Fei-hung film series and had become one of the most recognisable faces of Hong Kong cinema," Mr So said today.

Sek later joined the television sector and starred in a number of popular series. He won the Professional Achievement Award at the Hong Kong Film Awards in 2003.

"With his death Hong Kong has lost an outstanding performing arts talent. On behalf of the Commerce & Economic Development Bureau, I offer our deepest condolences to Mr Sek's family."

I never met Shek Kin. I saw him demonstrate a form at a tournament in S.F. decades ago, but that was it. I can't even remember when that was exactly. He's most remembered for his role in Enter the Dragon, but he was also the villain for the original Wong Fei Hung series with Kwan Tak Hing (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/ezine/article.php?article=478).

Pork Chop
06-04-2009, 12:46 PM
RIP Mister Han

SaekSan
06-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Truly a sad time for CMA, so many tragedies recently.

Rest in peace...

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 12:59 PM
96 years old isn't exactly a tragedy.

He had a long and storied life. This is a life to be celebrated! Not mourned as a tragic loss. He lived his life and made all the contributions he could make to all of us as martial practitioners and artists.

lkfmdc
06-04-2009, 01:21 PM
no disresepect but I am shocked to learn he was still alive! :eek:

he was BTW a very true martial artist, with lineage in Lama Pai by the way :D

now his passing IS a loss, wow, sad.....

sanjuro_ronin
06-04-2009, 01:24 PM
Heck of a run !!
RIP Mr.Han Man, even if you were right out of a comic book !
:D

David Jamieson
06-04-2009, 01:42 PM

Seriously Dave, you're like a klic sandwich at a kosher picnic in these obits today. :p

lkfmdc
06-04-2009, 01:44 PM
Seriously Dave, you're like a klic sandwich at a kosher picnic in these obits today. :p

I am 100% sure I have no idea WTF you just wrote? :confused:

TenTigers
06-04-2009, 02:17 PM
Sek Kin will me missed. I have seen him play both heroes and villains, and you can bet that it was Bruce Lee's idea to cast him in the role of Han. I am sure he was honored to share the same set with him. He was one of the most famous actors in HK cinema.
R.I.P.

what is klic?

Hendrik
06-04-2009, 02:22 PM
May the Amitaba Buddha leads him to the land of bliss. Amitaba

WinterPalm
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
RIP Mr. Han-Man.
Guy was freaking awesome in Enter the Dragon.

Jimbo
06-04-2009, 02:48 PM
96 years old isn't exactly a tragedy.

He had a long and storied life. This is a life to be celebrated! Not mourned as a tragic loss. He lived his life and made all the contributions he could make to all of us as martial practitioners and artists.

Well said.
The strange thing is, early yesterday, out of the blue, I wondered a bit about Shek Kin and if he was alive, how he was doing. And I have no idea why.

SPJ
06-04-2009, 04:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChoAuFqg1TA

RIP

:(

GreenCloudCLF
06-04-2009, 05:19 PM
I am saddened by the loss. I will no longer have a chance to compete in Han's tournament...

mickey
06-04-2009, 06:55 PM
This is more than sad news. This really hurts.

mickey

CLFNole
06-04-2009, 07:16 PM
Shek was a true martial artist in every sense of the word. I am fortunate enough to have learned some of his kung fu that he passed on to my sifu. My wife's family was quite close with him especially her dad.

RIP - Kin Baat

firepalm
06-05-2009, 12:29 AM
Now this is a True loss, but he did have a very long & interesting life!

A true Chinese Martial Artist that was also quite progressive thinking for his time. One of my old time favorites!

A real loss to the CMA Community! :(

Zhang Yong Chun
06-05-2009, 02:26 AM
My goodness.

This has been a horrible week, hasn't it.

Rest in Peace, Shek Kin. Rest in Peace.

Eric Olson
06-05-2009, 06:32 AM
Rest in Peace

SPJ
06-05-2009, 07:06 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94-33Sj4dNs

RD'S Alias - 1A
06-05-2009, 08:44 AM
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who number 3 will be?

David Jamieson
06-05-2009, 08:48 AM
Anyone want to hazard a guess as to who number 3 will be?

Well Dave Ross has ticked off a few daemons lately. :D

Baqualin
06-05-2009, 08:56 AM
**** who's next...I'll be glad when this week's over!!!
RIP Shek Kin!! You lived a good life
Hope I can make it to 96

Yao Sing
06-05-2009, 09:28 AM
That was #3.

Mike Martello
David Carradine
Shek Kin

BM2
06-05-2009, 09:34 AM
I read an article in the 80s, where he said Bruce wanted to grapple in "Enter The Dragon" and he was excited to do it and they worked on a few moves before finding out he was to have a claw.

Dale Dugas
06-05-2009, 10:42 AM
It seems I have been saying many prayers and lighting incense this week.

It has been done again for Shifu Shek Kin.

RIP

ngokfei
06-05-2009, 01:06 PM
a True repesentative of the matial arts in all of its facets.

He was a intimate friend to the Eagle Claw Community.

My Sigung and him came up together in the Chin Woo.

It is said that we have 2 weapon sets of his preserved by my sifu

Saber and Crutch plus the Saber and Short 2 Sectional sticks (similar to a nunchaku)

I've got a real nice photo of Sek Kin, Lau Fat Man' Widow, Zhang Jung Ting and my Sigung having some Dim Sum. shame the photographer got them as most were using toothpicks:confused:

NorthernShaolin
06-05-2009, 03:15 PM
He was my Sisuk as Shek Kin's first teacher was the great BSL Lo Han GM Sun Yu Fung. In his youth, Shek Kin was a member of the Jing Mo (Chin Wu) Association and learned from SYF in Kwangchu, China and became one of SYF's 12 disciples. He was the last surviving direct disciple of SYF.

But he continued to learn a little from other styles like Seven Star Praying Mantis, Eagle Claw and Choy Li Fut to name a few. He was truly a great representative of all TCMA and will be missed.

Yao Sing
06-05-2009, 04:18 PM
I understand he also trained with Lee Kwan Shan, Master Chan Poi's teacher. I remember Sifu saying something about that, they were very close. I never had the chance to meet him myself though.

Hardwork108
06-06-2009, 10:38 PM
May your soul find eternal happiness. R.I.P.Shek Kin.

Blacktiger
06-07-2009, 03:16 AM
Respect - he was was so cool - sad news:(

diego
06-07-2009, 05:26 AM

he prolly lived so long just so he could feel like he was the actual winner of enter the dragon...lol

SIFU RON
06-07-2009, 10:27 AM
A true pioneer of Martial Arts, a great man, I salute him and his family.

SPJ
06-07-2009, 10:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZbTVOW-Vck

"young boy shouldn't be so violent"

He will be remembered by many.

David Jamieson
06-07-2009, 06:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZbTVOW-Vck

"young boy shouldn't be so violent"

He will be remembered by many.

That clip was funny!

GeneChing
06-08-2009, 10:32 AM
More than a Villain is a great title. I'd love to see that.

Kung fu star `Bad Guy Kin' - loses his final battle at 96 (http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?pp_cat=11&art_id=83066&sid=24111185&con_type=3)
Patsy Moy
Friday, June 05, 2009

The baddie who battled the legendary Wong Fei Hung in countless movies and later took on Bruce Lee has died of kidney failure.

Shek Kin, whose real name was Shek Wing- cheung, died at Queen Elizabeth Hospital at about 4pm on Wednesday. He was 96.

The Hong Kong-born actor became famous as Wong Fei Hung's nemesis "Bad Guy Kin" in a series of movies from the 1940s to the 1980s.

Born in 1913, Shek began practicing martial arts in childhood. During the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong he joined a drama club and turned to show business.

In his first movie made just after the war, Flower in a Sea of Blood, he played the role of a Japanese spy - which propelled him into bad guy roles.

However, his fame started to grow in 1949 when he played "Bad Guy Kin" to actor Kwan Tak-hing's Wong Fei Hung.

The two were to star in more than 70 films.

Kwan, who was later awarded the MBE for his role in the movie industry, died in 1996, at the age of 90.

After the Wong Fei Hung series ended, Shek continued his bad-guy action in a string of movies.

He later claimed he was recognized on the streets of Los Angeles after playing an arch villain in Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon (1973).

In all, Shek appeared in more than 300 films in a career spanning almost half a century.

With the decline in the Hong Kong movie industry following Lee's death in 1973, Shek switched to television in 1975.

He joined TVB where he played various roles including that of a tycoon, a grandfather and even a kung fu hero.

One of his more classical roles was that of blind martial arts master Golden Hair Lion King in the 1978 TV series The Tale of Heaven-Reliant and Dragon-Slayer, which was based on an ancient kung fu novel.

In the late 1980s he was invited to star in a TV commercial for a natural herbal relief for coughs and sore throats.

Shek retired in 1993.

He was presented with the Professional Achievement Award at a Hong Kong Film Awards ceremony 10 years later.

Between December 2006 and February 2007, the Hong Kong Film Archive showcased Shek's films and TV series in its special retrospective titled More than a Villain: Shek Kin.

Acting Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Gregory So Kam-leung expressed deep regret at the actor's death.

"With his death, Hong Kong has lost an outstanding performing arts talent," said So, while expressing his bureau's deepest condolences to Shek's family.