PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this school

Lucas
06-08-2009, 12:24 PM
http://www.academyofkungfu.org/index.html

Ya its just a website. What do you think. I'll be going and checking them out at some point.

I've heard mixed reviews.

basically, im bored at work.....

lkfmdc
06-08-2009, 12:39 PM
23 seconds in, and "MO Duk Pai" made me close my browser :D

taai gihk yahn
06-08-2009, 12:42 PM
to quote those Python lads:

"Run away, run away!"

Lucas
06-08-2009, 02:26 PM
all i can think of when i read that name is.

why do they all want more duck pie?

what does mo duk pai mean?

Mas Judt
06-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I think it might be a Southern dialect for 'martial virtue family' - which is pretty much a sign that this is probably cr@p. It like calling yourself 'Kwoon Pai'. Not really very distinguishing.

I'll look at the web site next.

Yao Sing
06-08-2009, 02:32 PM
From the website: "Mo Duk Pai" means "martial ethic method".

Whatever that's supposed to mean.

So I guess when you're attacked you respond by evaluating the consequences of injuring another human being. :confused:

Mas Judt
06-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Actually, after looking at it, I'm not as negative as coach Ross on this one.

It's not traditional. It's not Modern, it's more 'everyman' - this would be to Coach Ross's approach as LA Boxing is to a real boxing Gym.

Cross fit principles, a fun workout, sort of kung fu... probably great for general fitness. Just not for fighting.

Mas Judt
06-08-2009, 02:41 PM
The founder of the system claims no teachers. But the movements look like badly performed Chang Quan - although not fair to judge as it is students in the clips.

Lucas
06-08-2009, 02:49 PM
thanks for the input. ive been thinking about checking them out for a bit, but based on what a few people have told me ive held off.

basically im looking for a tcma school in my area, that spars regularly, and having very poor luck locating anything that looks worth it.

David Jamieson
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
thanks for the input. ive been thinking about checking them out for a bit, but based on what a few people have told me ive held off.

basically im looking for a tcma school in my area, that spars regularly, and having very poor luck locating anything that looks worth it.

join a boxing club if you want to get punched in the face regularly and learn kungfu on the side.

tattooedmonk
06-08-2009, 04:29 PM
I went into this school last July. they do not teach any Chinese martial arts . It is a combination of all the things the instructor has learned. I have no idea why they chose CMA terms and such. The school was nice though.

wetwonder
06-08-2009, 07:49 PM
Once they mention other arts and styles, even Brazilian, then you know it's not traditional kung fu. A sifu of traditional training and mind would not mix arts at a school, unless they were modernizing.

Lokhopkuen
06-09-2009, 12:57 AM
join a boxing club if you want to get punched in the face regularly and learn kungfu on the side.

Pure Poetry

Lucas
06-09-2009, 09:08 AM
if anything ill be joining a mma gym. not really looking to just box. plus ive been practicing kungfu for a good bit now, I dont want to restrict myself to punching only.

Lucas
06-09-2009, 09:09 AM
I went into this school last July. they do not teach any Chinese martial arts . It is a combination of all the things the instructor has learned. I have no idea why they chose CMA terms and such. The school was nice though.

so hey, you are in portland i take it?

where are you training right now? i was going to join straight blast gym as it was convenient....till they moved locations.

i hear a new mma gym opened up somewhere in the hollywood district.

David Jamieson
06-09-2009, 09:21 AM
if anything ill be joining a mma gym. not really looking to just box. plus ive been practicing kungfu for a good bit now, I dont want to restrict myself to punching only.

mma gyms don't spar all teh time either.

a lot of it is rolling with compliant partners. drills etc etc. NOt much different from a kungfu school, except that they don't call things by chinese names, they don't call their teacher sifu and so on.

if you want the real visceral deal, you'll get more out of a boxing club.

If you want the sub stuff, get to a jj school.

many mma joints are crap and the really good ones don't want you if you're their just for the t-shirt.

you never spar in yoru kungfu school? why not?

Lucas
06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
mma gyms don't spar all teh time either.

a lot of it is rolling with compliant partners. drills etc etc. NOt much different from a kungfu school, except that they don't call things by chinese names, they don't call their teacher sifu and so on.

if you want the real visceral deal, you'll get more out of a boxing club.

If you want the sub stuff, get to a jj school.

many mma joints are crap and the really good ones don't want you if you're their just for the t-shirt.

you never spar in yoru kungfu school? why not?

I left my old school because over the years the sparring just became less and less. there was a gradual shift in the direction the school was going, and I wasnt interested in continuing in that direction. great teacher, great material, just not my cup of tea any longer.

Tried a few schools since then, none have had what im looking for. I really liked the chen taiji, but we all know how often taiji guys actually spar, i dont just want push hands. Not looking for sparring every single day, but I do want to see a regular schedule of sparring.

idk. i have looked into boxing gyms as well to be honest, and have one that does look really promising. its actually my best lead so far. i heard good things about straight blast gym, but like I said they moved to a location thats not possible for me to work with.

there is a judo club i really want to join, again the time and location vs my work schedule makes it not possible at this point in time for me.

Also looking for some good karate, if I can find it.

I really wish I was near some of the schools that posters here have/attend.

David Jamieson
06-09-2009, 10:04 AM
I left my old school because over the years the sparring just became less and less. there was a gradual shift in the direction the school was going, and I wasnt interested in continuing in that direction. great teacher, great material, just not my cup of tea any longer.

Tried a few schools since then, none have had what im looking for. I really liked the chen taiji, but we all know how often taiji guys actually spar, i dont just want push hands. Not looking for sparring every single day, but I do want to see a regular schedule of sparring.

idk. i have looked into boxing gyms as well to be honest, and have one that does look really promising. its actually my best lead so far. i heard good things about straight blast gym, but like I said they moved to a location thats not possible for me to work with.

there is a judo club i really want to join, again the time and location vs my work schedule makes it not possible at this point in time for me.

Also looking for some good karate, if I can find it.

I really wish I was near some of the schools that posters here have/attend.

In all the years I've trained in schools, I saw the most full contact in the boxing club.

wrestling is ok, but the law of diminishing returns kicks in fast unless you go into competition.

kungfu sparring was ok, but there was no where to compete with it at full contact levels.

so boxing will get you hitting and being hit and really working your hand striking a lot.

I guess you could find a good MT club or a KB club to get the kicks in too, or you could try and find a decent KF school for that as well. there is a surge towards application these days what with all the TV heads out their demanding it.

which is good, especially if your teacher nows how to use his style and can teach you same.

generally that takes longer to find in a traditional school of any sort.