PDA

View Full Version : Boycott against chris brown playing bruce leroy

doug maverick
06-08-2009, 02:17 PM
Ok so for the first time ever th rza has ****ed me off, i am one of his and wu tnags biggest fan, they are literally the reason i started listening to hip hop as a kid. but if what KFC has reported is true, he just got put on the top of my **** list read on:

Hip-hop maestro and executive producer RZA has been quoted as stating that he wants R&B singer Chris Brown to portray "Leroy Brown," aka "Bruce Leroy," in the upcoming remake of THE LAST DRAGON. He is also hoping to cast fellow R&B star Rihanna.

RZA has already spoken to Brown and the singer has expressed his interest. "I holla’d at Chris and he seemed very interested,” said RZA while speaking to XXL. “I never—I didn’t holla at Rihanna. But I holla’d at Chris one day. You know we came across each other in the studio, and I saw him at one of those award shows, and I said, ‘I really got you at the top of the list to bring this character back’ and he said—that he actually loved the character. He said he loved Bruce Lee and he’s a fan of THE LAST DRAGON. I was like, wow, that’s cool cause there’s four of us that votes on it, but my vote is on him.”

The conversation took place before Brown was arrested and charged with felony assault against alleged victim and girlfriend Rihanna. Yet RZA told XXL that the controversy had not changed his mind.

"I’m still with it. Yea, I think it adds even more of a dynamic so he could do good on the screen. I’m one of those kinds of directors though. I’m one of those kind of people that loves to get dynamic."

In the original LAST DRAGON, Taimak portrayed a New York martial artist on a mission to discover the final mastery of martial arts known as the glow. Through a journey of music, comedy and martial arts action, he battles evil martial arts master Sho'nuff and rescues a beautiful singer from a corrupt music promoter.

In a recent interview with Kung Fu Cinema, Taimak stated that he will be making an appearance in the remake. Samuel L. Jackson has already agreed to portray Sho'nuff.

The film is being produced by Kerry Gordy, son of Motown founder and original film producer Berry Gordy.

i gotta say this grinds my gears, from anyone else i probably would let it slide but rza i hold to a different standard when it comes to kick flicks, their are hundreds of african american actor/martial artist who would fit the bill perfectly: here's one right here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZnVwbOdIVo) come on rza do an open casting first look around before you settle on the pop star...thats what killed hong kong man....come on.

banditshaw
06-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Nick Cannon!!

@PLUGO
06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
or there is always this guy... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEtIoGQxqQs)

Lucas
06-09-2009, 09:56 AM
Ok so for the first time ever th rza has ****ed me off, i am one of his and wu tnags biggest fan, they are literally the reason i started listening to hip hop as a kid. but if what KFC has reported is true, he just got put on the top of my **** list read on:

i gotta say this grinds my gears, from anyone else i probably would let it slide but rza i hold to a different standard when it comes to kick flicks, their are hundreds of african american actor/martial artist who would fit the bill perfectly: here's one right here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZnVwbOdIVo) come on rza do an open casting first look around before you settle on the pop star...thats what killed hong kong man....come on.

ya that guy has the moves.

Xiao3 Meng4
06-09-2009, 10:14 AM
This guy has...

uh....

Drive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRJgeWeHpHo&NR=1

I vote for Manny Brown for sure. Anyone have RZA's email? We could send him the link to this thread.

mickey
06-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Gosh,

There was never any real discussion about who would make a good Bruce Leroy for the movie on this forum.

Given the details provided by doug maverick I could only think of one person who could carry the role with pinache: Ernie Reyes Jr. Yes, being raised by an African American family.

I would pay to see this flick.

mickey

Lucas
06-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Gosh,

There was never any real discussion about who would make a good Bruce Leroy for the movie on this forum.

Given the details provided by doug maverick I could only think of one person who could carry the role with pinache: Ernie Reyes Jr. Yes, being raised by an African American family.

I would pay to see this flick.

mickey

that would be slick

doug maverick
06-10-2009, 11:12 AM
then wouldnt it be a quasi sequel and not a remake considering e was in the first film. actually it would be a different ilm entirely and you'll lose the whole flavor of a black kid who acts chinese.

mickey
06-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi doug maverick,

I remember it being said that the African American family would have a Chinese food restaurant. It could be worked out that they went that way to keep the main charcter's link with his cultural identity. This can include other adjustments like learning the language and customs, etc. That offers some very interesting social dynamics that is laced with love and caring. And it can be hilarious. This is, by the way, what a lot of adopting parents face when they adopt cross culturally.

Since it is the Gordy's product they should be thinking of the very best way to present it and maintain it for future $$$$.

The idea of a remake of the original movie really sucks because of the death of the actor who played Sho' Nuff. I think a revision would be accepted really well and could garner some eager backing ($$$).

Since Ernie Reyes was in the original, it would be a beautiful gesture to have him back in the lead role.

mickey

doug maverick
06-10-2009, 11:50 AM
i love the idea, but for a different movie altogether....also i think ernie did something similar when he did surf ninjas(hahaha bit you forgot about that) but in that one he wasnt aware of his culture. but still it wouldnt be the last dragon it would be something else....like i said before find a young african american martial artist/actor and lets make it happen, their are tons of them. but something just dawned on me......i think rza just said chris browns name to initiate buzz, i honestly dont think he would cast the guy, i dont see the up side. this movie is gonna be pg13 and i dont see the mommies in the fly over states taking their kids to go see a woman beater who is acting as a trained martial artist with all this honor and blah blah blah....but i think rza got the buzz he wanted.

mickey
06-10-2009, 12:08 PM
Well uhh,

Well uhhhh,

Isn't Ernie Reyes Jr an African American?

I mean I really really thought so. I just mentioned him because he had that Asian look. Just take him to Sylvia's and watch him chow down some soul food. And you will see what I mean. Or, even better, walk up to him and say something about his momma. Or you can have a fine sister walk past him. He will grab his jewels and give 'em a tug.

He is a brotha for sure. You need to see your eye doctor.

mickey

doug maverick
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
ernie is phillipino last time i checked and doesnt look the least bit african american black or otherwise.

mickey
06-10-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi doug maverick,

I will type just about anything to get Ernie Reyes Jr in the lead role. :)

mickey

mickey
06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Hello Good Brother,

Attached is a discussion about the remake of "The Last Dragon." Towards the end of the thread, I suggested who would best play the lead role. For your consideration:

http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=940602&posted=1#post940602

Thank you for your time.

mickey

doug maverick
06-11-2009, 11:13 AM
Y. i mean i havent seen him do anything that would have me like wow. ernie reyes is the ****. i mean im not saying he's not capable but why all the jock riding?

mickey
06-11-2009, 11:31 AM
Hi,

I'm not jock riding. I simply think it would be a great idea. Nothing more. I hope the movie will be a successful one regardless of whom they choose.

You really had me laughing when you took my post about Ernie Reyes Jr being African American with all seriousness.

Thank you for the discussion, doug maverick.

mickey

doug maverick
06-11-2009, 11:51 AM
i thought you were smoking crack rock for a second till i realized you were joking.

Lucas
06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
I just want to see some sho'nuff get his ass kicked to the last dragon theme song.

is s l jackson still slated for sho'nuff?

doug maverick
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
as far as i know he is....