PDA

View Full Version : Anybody tried the 300 workout?

MightyB
06-08-2009, 02:23 PM
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=menshealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=5e1790ecab7e1110vgnvcm20000012281eac____

Has anybody tried it?

a) Pullups - 25 reps
b) Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps
c) Pushups - 50 reps
d) 24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps
e) Floor wipers - 50 reps
f) Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps
g) Pullups - 25 reps

I don't have a straight bar so I can't do the Deadlifts or the floor wipers - I have a couple of substitutes for those that I think will be equally grueling.

Mr Punch
06-08-2009, 10:57 PM
Nice point Andy. If it helps, I think that's just the gym portion: I seem to remember reading that they did that n times a day and there was an outdoor portion which included an n k run with heavy pack, running up and down hills forwards and backwards (bonus points if anyone can remind me which boxer used that as a staple...? :confused: ) and stuff.

As for this one, I took one look at it... I can't do 25 dead pull-ups! :o Getting better at them tho, and I was actually thinking of going for this workout when I could and when on a break from my current one.

Don't have a kettlebell either, but figure a single end weighted DB should do the job.

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2009, 05:25 AM
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=menshealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=5e1790ecab7e1110vgnvcm20000012281eac____

Has anybody tried it?

a) Pullups - 25 reps
b) Deadlifts with 135lbs - 50 reps
c) Pushups - 50 reps
d) 24-inch Box jumps - 50 reps
e) Floor wipers - 50 reps
f) Single-arm Clean-and-Press with 36lbs Kettlebell - 50 reps
g) Pullups - 25 reps

I don't have a straight bar so I can't do the Deadlifts or the floor wipers - I have a couple of substitutes for those that I think will be equally grueling.

Yeah, I did it for about 4 weeks, it was a nice change of pace.
I substituted hanging leg raises for the Floor wipers.

MightyB
06-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Ended up more of a 175 workout - 300 reps with no rest of anything is tough. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I reach 300.

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2009, 05:48 AM
Ended up more of a 175 workout - 300 reps with no rest of anything is tough. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I reach 300.

Dude, you have to "rest" a certain points as you progress to the 300, by rest I mean take about 3-5 deep breathes,
You may not be able to do 25 pull ups, but you can do 10, rest, 8, rest, 4 , rest etc, etc.
The point is getting to that 300, as you progress you will just get their faster, that's all.

Kevin73
06-09-2009, 07:50 AM
The "300 workout" was NOT the workout that was used to train the actors in the movie. The strength/conditioning coach worked with the individuals and had programs designed to fit each of them.

The workout listed was a kind of "test" that they could do at the end of their training. The workouts that they had was also designed to build mental toughness to help them portray that in the movie. It was NOT designed as a workout that was to be done X amount of days. It was to be done nonstop and see how fast you could do it.

I remember seeing another magazine that had 3 levels of workouts to help you build up to the final "300 workout".

MightyB
06-11-2009, 08:30 AM
Level 1: The Barbarian Horde Workout

Do this circuit two times, resting 1 minute between exercises. Move to the next level (Greek Hoplite level) when you can complete the Barbarian Horde circuit with relative ease. Do this program three days per week until you are ready to move to the next level. For best results, also do aerobic exercises, such as walking, jogging or cycling three to five days per week.
• Pull-ups, 5 repetitions
• Rest 1 minute
• Deadlifts with 135 pounds, 10 repetitions
• Rest 1 minute
• Push-ups, 10 repetitions
• Rest 1 minute
• Box jumps (24-inch), 10 repetitions
• Rest 1 minute
• Floor wipers, 10 repetitions
• Rest 1 minute
• Single-arm kettlebell (35 pounds) clean and press,
• 10 repetitions each arm
• Rest 1 minute
• Pull-ups, 5 repetitions
• Rest 1 minute
• Repeat circuit (repeat exercises one to seven)

Level 2: The Greek Hoplite Workout

Do the Greek Hoplite circuit two times, resting 30 seconds between exercises. Move to the next level (Elysian Fields level) when you can complete the Greek Hoplite circuit with relative ease. Do this program three days per week until you are ready to move to the next level. For best results, also do aerobic exercises, such as walking, jogging, or cycling three to five days per week.
• Pull-ups, 10 repetitions
• Rest 30 seconds
• Deadlifts with 135 pounds, 20 repetitions
• Rest 30 seconds
• Push-ups, 20 repetitions
• Rest 30 seconds
• Box jumps (24-inch), 20 repetitions
• Rest 30 seconds
• Floor wipers, 20 repetitions
• Rest 30 seconds
• Single-arm kettlebell (35 pounds) clean and press, 20 repetitions (each arm)
• Rest 30 seconds
• Pull-ups, 10 repetitions
• Rest 30 seconds

Level 3: The Elysian Fields Workout

Do the following circuit two times, resting 15 seconds between exercises. Take the 300 Workout Challenge when you can complete the Elysian Fields circuit on two separate days. Do the Elysian Fields Workout program three days per week until you are ready for the ultimate test. For best results, also do aerobic exercises, such as walking, jogging, or cycling three to five days per week.
• Pull-ups, 15 repetitions
• Rest 15 seconds
• Deadlifts with 135 pounds, 30 repetitions
• Rest 15 seconds
• Push-ups, 30 repetitions
• Rest 15 seconds
• Box jumps (24-inch), 30 repetitions
• Rest 15 seconds
• Floor wipers, 30 repetitions
• Rest 15 seconds
• Single-arm kettlebell (35 pounds) clean and press, 30 repetitions (each arm)
• Rest 15 seconds
• Pull-ups, 30 repetitions
• Rest 15 seconds

The 300 Workout Challenge

If you made it this far, you may soon be ready to stand beside King Leonidas at Thermopylae- if you can pass this final test. Do the following circuit one time as fast as you can and attempt to take no rest between exercises. Do all the required repetitions for each exercise before moving to the next- even if you have to rest to complete the exercise (such as during the pull-ups).The workout includes 300 repetitions to commemorate the 300 Spartans. The best performance on the circuit by an actor from the movie was 18 minutes.
• Pull-ups, 25 repetitions
• Deadlifts with 135 pounds, 50 repetitions
• Push-ups, 50 repetitions
• Box jumps (24-inch), 50 repetitions
• Floor wipers (135 pounds), 50 repetitions
• Single-arm kettlebell (35 pound) clean-and-press, 50 repetitions (with each arm)
• Pull-ups, 25 repetitions

Kevin73
06-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks, I found it to and was just getting ready to post it. Saves me time. Thanks again.

MightyB
06-12-2009, 09:41 AM
So far the pull ups and the kettlebells are the killers... especially the kettlebells. I didn't realize I was cheating all these years by not setting the bell on the ground between reps on the clean and press. Changes the whole game when I started to do it. I've been doing the wipers without a 135lbs straight bar - just been using the kettlebell for stabilization. I know it's not the same but the core has been sore on the off-days. Also, I've had to use single leg squats as a substitute for the dead lift. I can weight them up to 70 lbs of combined dumbell weight to increase the intensity. I'd like to buy an olympic bar and a couple of 45 lbs plates - I just don't have the room to store them.

The simplist solution would be just to do the workout at the gym...