PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on training with chest pads...

KC Elbows
06-09-2009, 09:18 AM
Been working with two others on drills regularly, when my leg heals up, I was hoping to work more drills that focus on live aspects of kicking(kicking in more live circumstances, I mean). Anyway, we've got some flack jackets, so we were going to test out how well those protect us to allow practicing kicking approaches with more intent.

Anyway, curious of people's experiences with chest pads or similar stuff, what they thought of them(and why).

sanjuro_ronin
06-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I've trained with the FIST gear, the Tony Blauer Gear and that "panic attack" gear that looks like the predator mask.
Those things are fiine for some adrenaline based scenario training and even some full contact work ( Tony's stuff is superb for that) when someone wants to "play" the victim and the other person is working on "releasing" the demon.
In terms of drills, they come in hands too, the MT belly pads and thigh pads are a must for any MT trainer.
But, they do slow the wear down a bit and that does create a false sense of timing and they also can create an un-natural flow of combinations due to the "incorrect" reactions of the "defender".

David Jamieson
06-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Go with waivers instead and up your insurance.

voila!

:)

xcakid
06-09-2009, 02:27 PM
We do pretty hard contact so we wear full gear. The only time I did not, I fracture a rib. A few months before that I got a bloody nose.

So rather than stopping training to heal, I just wear the gear. :( I'm getting old. Don't heal to fast.