PDA

View Full Version : Does your age & experience with the MMA/BJJ craze bring change?

Yao Sing
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Since the pendulum swings to opposing extremes then after the youth MMA craze dies down will aging CMA guys lead us all into a Taiji/Qigong life extension craze?

Usually the next big thing is the opposite of the last big thing so that would be the health benefits CMA provides for improving the quality of life after all those years of violent body abuse from MMA fighting.

Plus I wanted to spoof the thread titles a bit but we could be serious here if anyone's interested.

Thoughts?

Yum Cha
06-10-2009, 03:33 PM
I was reading about a new Style, Shaolin bound testicle?

<sorry>

SPJ
06-10-2009, 04:54 PM
as we age or get old

we may stilll punch and kick

we may still tumble and roll.

we may be slow and not as hard/strong in punching and kicks.

--

we may still have fun.

however, certain moves we may not be able to do well anymore.

also, injury takes longer time to recover.

--

everything in moderation as we get old

eat, drink and sex, too.

--

sleep well, rest well, eat properly and moderate exercise

--

lead to a longer life.

:)

SPJ
06-10-2009, 04:57 PM
tai chi used to be 108 yang or chen forms.

it reduced to 68

it reduced to 46

it reduced to 24

it reduced to 13

it can also be reduced to 4 postures only.

just an example

we may still have some fun as we age.

:)

uki
06-10-2009, 05:21 PM
in my experience it seems that the MMA thing is nothing more than another way of the system eradicating ancient knowledge and master-disciple relationship... it has effectively taken the spiritual out of the art and replaced it with a rather bland and drab mind-set. it is like the wal-mart of the martial arts. :)

Scott R. Brown
06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Keep in mind that the master/disciple relationship and spiritual aspects were not found within all Asian martial arts and in none of the western martial arts including the original MMA, pankrateon.

AdrianK
06-10-2009, 08:07 PM
in my experience it seems that the MMA thing is nothing more than another way of the system eradicating ancient knowledge and master-disciple relationship... it has effectively taken the spiritual out of the art and replaced it with a rather bland and drab mind-set. it is like the wal-mart of the martial arts. :)

In all arts we may benefit and grow from the influence of many teachers. The same goes for Martial Arts. The master-disciple relationship is extremely counter-productive as no single man knows all that a student needs. Nor does only a few. But several. One must seek knowledge everywhere. The MMA "Craze" is very much a result of marketing and the publics desire to see bloodshed, but the spirit of MMA is a more beneficial one, in that no man should be ones "Master".

The spirit of martial arts is that of human expression. I think the MMA "Craze" lacks discipline and many people have made Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo, BJJ, Wrestling into a singular "Style" of sorts, but the concept of MMA has always been a correct one in many ways - That you use what works, that you seek out knowledge from many sources, and that you test your knowledge.

This also extends into health, fitness and education, as many martial artists disregard western medicine, weight training, or even basic education as being useful.

MMA lacks some things. But the Martial arts world outside of MMA lacks many things as well.

David Jamieson
06-11-2009, 05:17 PM
there's a craze?

who's crazed?

oh yeah, teenagers. lol

aren't they crazed by everything that has violence in it?

or hot chicks or fast machines?

or cell phones?

:D

Yao Sing
06-11-2009, 07:33 PM
aren't they crazed by everything that has violence in it?

or hot chicks or fast machines?

Why are you limiting this to teenagers?

I must be a lot younger than I think. :eek:

dimethylsea
06-11-2009, 07:40 PM
You enjoy what you enjoy, you pursue what you pursue.

I happen to enjoy internal martial arts and fma-silat. I encourage people I meet to find something they enjoy and pursue it.

If you are training gongfu because you want to "be the baddest" then in my opinion you will not get your desire. There is no "baddest". Wanderlei Silva is a very dangerous man... but he will grow old and feeble too. We all will.

The key is doing what you enjoy. I enjoy gongfu, especially classical gao bagua. As people get older they grow less enthused in tolerating wastes of their leisure time, because they understand they are mortal. They want their pleasures to be things they truly enjoy and find satisfying.

The key is, I think, doing what you truly enjoy.