PDA

View Full Version : Jut Sow northern praying mantis

wtf
03-14-2001, 11:25 PM
Wah Lum Tam Tui Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu is based on the style of Jut Sow Tong Long (wrestling Hands Praying Mantis). What other Kung Fu is based on Jut Sow?

NorthernMantis
03-17-2001, 10:29 PM
Hard to say.The comunists destroyed wah lum temple in china.It was rebuilt a bit but no one there knows kung fu anymore even though there's a couple of monks there.

"Always be ready"

woliveri
03-18-2001, 08:16 PM
We all know that Jut Sow is a part of Wah Lum but has anyone been taught any techniques that demonstrate Jut Sow? Has anything been taught about Jut Sow other than the knowledge that it's a part of Wah Lum?

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

18elders
03-21-2001, 10:36 PM
there is a two person locking hands set in Wah lum but not too many people know it.

wtf
03-22-2001, 09:27 PM
Ok, if there aren't any other styles based on Jut Sow, then what styles include this technique in their Kung Fu? People often include 8step, 7 star, plum flower, etc and Jut Sow (not Wah Lum) on the their list of "the" 12 Northern Praying Mantis Kung Fu. Is Wah Lum the only style to be based on this "Jut Sow"? Do other discplines include the "Jut Sow" technique or some variation of it in there own system? If not should Wah Lum and Jut Sow be used interchangeably? Are they one in the same?

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-22-2001, 10:04 PM
Wah Lum is a mix of Jut Sow Mantis and Tam Tui Kung fu. Lee Kwan Shan's family style was Tam Tui but he blended Jut Sow techniques with it to make Wah Lum. So technically Wah Lum is not synonomous with Jut Sow or actually based on it, but borrows from it to compliment the strong leg techniques of Tam Tui. That's why you don't see Wah Lum listed as a recognized Mantis style like Plum Flower or Seven Star. Since I'm very limited in my knowledge of pure Jut Sow and pure Tam Tui I can't say what percentage of techniques come from either. I do believe it makes a good mix though.

18elders
03-27-2001, 10:34 PM
Jut sow is the mainland Chinese name for 8-step praying mantis(Taiwan).