PDA

View Full Version : Mantis schools in NYC?

ChrisL
03-18-2001, 12:47 AM
Does anyone know a good mantis school in the New York city area. I have no experiance at all so it has to be a good teaching school. Please post info about any schools or e-mail the info to me at cgl36@yahoo.com

Young Mantis
03-18-2001, 07:23 AM
Chris,

I train with Sifu Tony Chuy at the Praying Mantis Martial Arts Institute. You can find information on our school at www.northernmantis.com. (http://www.northernmantis.com.)

Sifu is a disciple of the Northern Seven Star Praying Mantis branch under Master Brendan Lai and also of the Tai Chi Praying Mantis branch under Master Chiu, Chuk Kai.

Good luck finding a school that suits you.

YM

8StepStudent
03-18-2001, 08:35 PM
There's an 8 Step school in New York at Jewish Community Cntr, Delaware & Summer Sts., Buffalo, NY 14222. There number is (716)-648-0131.

baji-fist
03-19-2001, 05:00 AM
You can check out Master Su Yu Chang in New York. Master Su specializes in five styles of Preying Mantis (Seven Star, Eight Step, Six Harmony, Secret Door, Mei Flower). Along with Mantis, Master Su also teaches Bajiquan (Pa Chi Chuan), Taijiquan, Yin Style Bagua and Xingyiquan. Here is his websites address: http://www2.micro-net.com/~ycsu/
Also check out the mantis clip, it is Master Su when he was in his 40's doing Lan Jie.

You must eat bitter before you can taste sweet.

ChrisL
03-20-2001, 01:34 AM
Thanks for all your post i'm going to look into all the schools listed and choose the one that is right for me.

RAYNYSC
03-20-2001, 07:14 AM
Hey Chris,
Heres another cool website you may want to add to your list of schools from N.Y.that teach The Northern Seven Star Pray Mantis System Via Brooklyn New York under Sifu Carl A. Albright of the Chiu Chi Man Lineage....

Check out the site if you get the chance I'm sure that you'll find some really good info on the 7 Star Mantis System as well as the Hung Gar system of Shaolin there. But the really cool thing about it is?.... You get to train in N.Y. with a Sifu that not only knows & understands the system that he teaches,but can use the Systems way of fighting when it comes down to it!....

Check Out www.7starmantis.com (http://www.7starmantis.com)

Good look on your search for a Sifu in N.Y. as there are some really good schools in N.Y.

RAYNYSC

[This message was edited by RAYNYSC on 03-20-01 at 09:22 PM.]

18elders
03-21-2001, 10:59 PM
good luck, don't know of any real good schools that teach mantis properly.

BeiTangLang
03-21-2001, 11:36 PM
18elders,...Who are you to say??

"It's all the same; Only the names have changed........."

18elders
03-24-2001, 12:22 AM
he asked and i replied, i don't know of any, what's the problem?
As for who am i to say?
I'm someone who DOES know the difference between what is taught properly and what isn't.

8StepStudent
03-24-2001, 03:48 AM
Another person who knows everything. Never seen that before. Just remember as Lao Tzu says "Those who speak do not know, but those who know do not speak."

Laughing Buddha
03-24-2001, 11:17 PM
For those who might not know of it, there are other Northern Mantis instructors in New York City. They include Master Tony Chuy, Master Su Yu Chang and Sifu Raul Ortiz. Master Chuy certainly understands and can apply the techniques of the Mantis system under combat conditions. His lineage traces directly back to the famous Master Law Gwong Yuk and everything he teaches is genuine with no adulteration. From what I know, Master Su is known for years of teaching and has branches in the US, Europe, Asia and South America while Sifu Ortiz is known for his tournament fighting abilities.

What is "proper"? Is a traditional school that imparts knowledge traditionally considered "proper"? If so, this is what is done at Master Tony Chuy's school. If doing things traditionally is not your cup of tea and you consider other methods "proper", then perhaps one of the other schools is more suitable to you.
©

-------------------------------------</P>

A "Laughing Buddha" or "Dai Tao Fut" is usually found cavorting in front of and leading the lion(s) in a Southern Lion Dance troupe.</P>

* I speak for myself and not for my Si Fu nor kwoon, so any errors I make are mine alone.>

baji-fist
03-25-2001, 04:50 AM
The above mentioned mantis sifus all learned from the old school. I have met sifu Su, and he learned under many mantis masters in Taiwan, all of which are renown for their skills. Who is to say that these masters don't know how to teach mantis?

phantom
03-25-2001, 10:50 PM
I remember reading an ad for a school a few times in New York's Village Voice newspaper that was locoated in Flushing. Unfortunately, I do not remember the name of the sifu who teaches there. I do not remember the exact name of the school, either, although I am almost positive that it has the words Wu Tang in its name. They teach some kind of mantis, I think it is seven star, along with the three internal arts, pigua, and Baji. I hope this helps. Peace.

baji-fist
03-26-2001, 02:43 AM
Sifu Marlon Ma (Ma Long Ma) is the sifu of New York Wu-Tan.

Vertiggo
03-27-2001, 02:38 AM
If you really are serious about learning Northern Mantis, especially the combat aspect, then you might want to email this person - barneygoogles@webtv.net. Don't let the screen name dismay you. This dude trains with thee most incredible kung fu master I have ever witnessed (and I have visited nearly every school I can find in NYC, especially Chinatown, have attended many tournaments and I have yet to see anyone fight like this man). This guy "knows" how to use the mantis system.

seven star mantis sparring sessions in manhattan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
this goes out to all who would like to learn how to apply your systems against other styles of martial arts. if you are interested let me know we are not trying to prove who is better but rather trying to learn from each other in the spirit of unity and friendship.what we do is get together and sparr and see how our systems cope with each others styles in a friendly way. all are welcome grapplers thais karate boxers gung fu whatever. if you are in the new york city area and would like to check it out then let me know my email is barneygoogles@webtv.net