PDA

View Full Version : Effectiveness of Praying Mantis Kung Fu...

MantisKungFu
10-24-2001, 09:05 PM
Hello all. I am a beginner looking to get into kung fu, particularly Praying Mantis Kung Fu. There is a local Kung Fu Academy that claims the system they teach "is composed of changes made in Wah Lum Praying Mantis Kung Fu combined with Northern Shaolin Kung Fu".

My question is, would this style, or Praying Mantis Kung Fu in general, be effective to use on the street? Is there such thing as just "Praying Mantis" Kung Fu? Or is it all variations, such as Wah Lum?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just a newbie looking for knowledge. Thanks for your time,

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Robinf
10-24-2001, 09:16 PM
It really depends on the teacher as to how effective the style is. Mantis kung fu, Wah Lum, has a lot of forms, but it also has a good amount of two person sets that should be practiced--these teach practical applications of techniques in the forms. Then, the instructor should also have free sparring--this gives students the opportunity to use what they're learning in their forms in a controlled environment. While nothing can simulate a real circumstance, free sparring is a good tool. Be certain your instructor has the class spar.

I don't know if there is a "Praying Mantis" style still around without the variations. The origingal style came about hundreds of years ago (can't remember the exact date).

The conditioning in Wah Lum Praying Mantis is some of the best. It makes use of low stances to strenghten the legs (and high kicks at some points for flexibility--good overall health is highly important). There are other conditioning methods that vary slightly from teacher to teacher, but all within the Wah Lum curriculum.

Try it out, see if you like the style--even though it's nearby, it still might not suit you.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

danny from miami
10-24-2001, 10:13 PM
changes made to the wahlum system? northern shaolin? be careful. go to wahlum.com for authorized wah lum schools

EARTH DRAGON
10-25-2001, 03:30 AM
as danni said make sure the sifu is from chan pui lineage.
As far as effectivness it is incredably good, it has many actual fighting applications that work well in any situation, but realize that it takes a long time to learn and even longer to perform so after a few years of regular training you should be very confident, but dont join if that is the only reason for kung fu , fighting is the most basic level.

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

18elders
10-25-2001, 02:13 PM
What is the name of the school and the instructor?
If he said he made changes then he is probably not affiliated with wah lum anymore, he may have been kicked out.
AS far as the praying mantis, wah lum is based on tam tui and mantis although Chan is from southern China and has learned alot of southern kung fu. Wah lum has many southern influences and is not strictly mantis. There aren't the numerous 2 person sets as with other mantis systems so i think your knowledge of the applications is going to be very limited.
Ask him what changes he made? If he doesn't advertise the Wah lum name, he has made changes so he won't be sued by Chan for teaching Wah lum.

danny from miami
10-25-2001, 04:18 PM
well ive seen one two man set and i know theres two man weapon sets

18elders
10-25-2001, 06:56 PM
I learn the 2 person set for every form i learn, either empty hand or weapon.
As him to see the 2 man set to these forms.
1. 16 hands
2. little mantis
3. little open gate
4. saylok
5. 18 elbows
6. first - sixth form
7. lok low 1 through 4
8. basic stick
9. right hand stick
10. basic broadsword
11. continuous broadsword
12. low gar spear

What is the name of the school or instructor?

MantisKungFu
10-25-2001, 08:11 PM
It is called the Vermont Kung Fu Academy, the instructor is Sifu Arthur Makaris. The website says he studied under the head of the Wah Lum style (the guy in Orlando Florida) so I don't think he'd be making it up. Thank you for your opinions so far, keep em up!

"It is better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

danny from miami
10-25-2001, 08:54 PM
that guy isnt authorized to teach anymore as u can see on wahlum.com ..plus he said he changed it around and added northern shaolin. id stay away

MantisKungFu
10-25-2001, 10:00 PM
I appreciate your opinion, however, I disagree with it. First off, to get your name on that list and to keep it, you must pay a fee (every 1 or 3 years, something like that). Even if he isn't authorized now to teach the 100% Wah Lum system it doesn't mean that he didn't once study it under Chan Poi (mispelled I'm sure). Also, I don't see what's wrong with taking a system learned and adding something to it. There are plenty of mixed martial arts taught nowadays. Please elaborate as to why I should stay away. Anyone else have a thought on this?

18elders
10-25-2001, 10:27 PM
Well you asked for opinions so i will give you mine. Everyone has an opinion and people will not always agree so i'm sure people won't agree with mine.
Wah lum instructors test every 3 years, that is how they get on the list, he may never have been a certified wah lum instructor and may not even know all the material to instructor level.
If you are interested in training with him i suggest you call the temple and check him out.
How long did he train, is he an instructor etc.
You would be better of learning a traditional system and then cross training in another if you want to learn some different kung fu but to train from someone just mixing stuff may not be in your best interest to learn a real system.
If you aren't interested in learning complete systems then that is okay. Watch him fight, teach and see if he knows and understands his applications.
If you are stricktly interested in praying mantis i would look somewhere else.
Remember you are paying to learn so you might at well get the best for you money.

danny from miami
10-26-2001, 04:22 AM
i agree with 18elders