PDA

View Full Version : Ringside Bag Stand? Thoughts?

yutyeesam
06-26-2009, 09:54 PM
http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/specials/fathersday/top10&start=0&selectedSKU=0429-00719-0869

It felt good when I messed around with it briefly at the store, but I didn't go full tilt on it.

Any thoughts on this? Do you have one, or have you trained with one? Is it a worthwhile investment? It is priced really well, if it is.

Any cons to look out for (besides potentially accidentally slamming your foot into a weight plate because you got lazy with your roundhouse :p)?

Thanks in advance!

Oso
06-27-2009, 04:52 AM
i would say it could not be very good for a strong kicking workout...too narrow a base...plus the feet/legs of the stand are totally in the way, even for just a boxing workout.

I have a Century stand

http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Training_Bags/Heavy_Bag_Platforms/Cornerman.aspx

yea, it's a lot more expensive but, ime, it's by far the best because you have a totally clear space in a 90 degree arc around the bag. but, even with the long legs on this thing, it jumps around if I really put as much power as I can into a kick.

I'd leaned weights on the legs and it helped but they would bounce off.

yutyeesam
06-27-2009, 06:16 AM
Hey Oso,
Thanks for the input on that. So if forced to choose between the product I linked to or a standard century wavemaster, what would you choose?

Thanks!

Oso
06-27-2009, 12:57 PM
i'd go with the stand...wavemasters aren't that great either, the regular sized ones fall over if you have a good round

Oso
06-27-2009, 01:10 PM
hard to beat a hanging bag...do you have absolutely no options for just hanging one from something?

punchdrunk
06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
I have a similar bag stand that I received as a gift, I don't recomend them. One major problem is the stands "legs" or supports are in the way to practice footwork, in other words you have to stand in front of it instead of working around the bag. The second problem is that even with lots of weight the structure is unstable and tilts or bounces with any serious hit. Third problem is that since it's unstable having a partner hold the bag would be helpful but even that is difficult because they have to fit between the bag and the stand.
Seriously its better than nothing but definately not worth the price, and I put the wave masters in the same category.

yutyeesam
06-27-2009, 11:19 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks again for the input on this. For $30 more, you can have the one with a speedbag attachment, so we went ahead and go it:

http://www.martialartshop.co.uk/images/06/heavy_bagstand.jpg

Unfortunately, we have no place to hang the bag in our studio.

How much weight do you guys put on each of the places where you can stick the weight plates onto?

I agree, totally not the perfect solution, and will be an annoyance to advanced folks who want to go all out. But, it may prove to be a halfway decent tool for beginners and intermediates is my guess. And for our cardio circuit classes for parents...(I know, I know! leave me alone lol)

Now if I could only find solutions for an uppercut target!

punchdrunk
06-28-2009, 06:06 AM
I put three 25 lb plates on each of the supports, the sales person told my woman (she bought it as a present) that only 2 on each would do it. There is one more problem I've been having as well, the bag isn't really hanging high enough for me. I know I could just shorten the chain but if you look in the picture that you supplied of yours there is not much chain hanging to begin with. I am 6 foot two, that's tall but there are lots of people much taller than me and if your buying it for a school or club you'll want something more adjustable or universally useful and to put it simply something better built for that much money.