PDA

View Full Version : Rear leg side-kick

JackNate
07-01-2009, 12:12 AM
I've never really had much sparring success with this kick. I find I'm just as powerful with the easily landed lead leg side kick. If I want to use the rear leg I can use everyones favorite round-kick, or a front-kick. I can use it just fine on a sand-bag but can't hit somebody to save my life. How does it work for you?

Oso
07-01-2009, 03:45 AM
you might try learning to chamber very tightly and as with everything, timing is the key factor....it's slower to throw due to more overall movement of the body required to throw it, so you can't use it on the same beat as the others. it's advantage might, imo, greater power so learn to get all your weight behind it at the point of impact.

TenTigers
07-01-2009, 05:12 AM
I use it more like a training tool to teach chamber, hip rotation, and power generation. When I fight, I throw it off the front leg, either defensively as a "pop-up" sidekick, or offensively with a shuffle, skip, or cross step.

Old Noob
07-01-2009, 05:58 AM
For me, if I'm thinking of throwing a rear-leg side kick, it's probably faster and more powerful (again, for me) to throw a spinning back kick with the rear leg instead. I also feel like its a better counter to some punches than merely doing a rear-leg side kick.

Oso
07-01-2009, 06:20 AM
I use it more like a training tool to teach chamber, hip rotation, and power generation. When I fight, I throw it off the front leg, either defensively as a "pop-up" sidekick, or offensively with a shuffle, skip, or cross step.

i've got mixed feelings about training tools that aren't supposed to actually be used to fight with...not saying i haven't used them but I'm trying to work away from that approach.

I think a rear leg side kick can be used effectively, but just not as often as front or round.

a tight, and I sometimes describe it as 'hidden' but it's not really hidden of course, chamber can disguise the intent long enough to fire it against an approaching opponent and the act of leaning the body back from the extension of the kick can help keep the head out of harms way...but, if you don't land it, you must have good defense against the single leg becuase recovery to a neutral position can also take longer.

JackNate
07-01-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks guys, I'll try chambering tight. I don't usually chamber very deliberatly, and not at all for some kicks. I bet thats a major part of my problem. Its like I'm throwing a big awkward version of a round kick with my foot turned sideways. The combination of turning followed by thrusting is a little more complicated than just one or the other.

Old-Noob mentioned spinning back-kicks, I like them too. I don't use them often, but when my sparring partner is at certain angle and distance(seems like 10 o'clock and almost right-cross) I have a hard time doing anything else, but they will walk right into a hard back-kick. Also the only kick I've ever actually knocked someone down with.

Lucas
07-01-2009, 02:50 PM
i stole from tkd for the rear leg side kick.

sanjuro_ronin
07-02-2009, 06:10 AM
The rear leg side kick should be chambered as a front kick and turn into a side kick at the end of the pivot, its certainly not a "power" kick, but when done at the right time, can be very difficult to block.

David Jamieson
07-02-2009, 06:13 AM
It takes more time to pull one off the rear leg.

spin it and turn it to a tail kick. Takes less time, has more power.

:D

ps: less time +more power = you win!!! yay!

Oso
07-02-2009, 09:00 AM
The rear leg side kick should be chambered as a front kick and turn into a side kick at the end of the pivot, its certainly not a "power" kick, but when done at the right time, can be very difficult to block.

yea, that's what i was saying basically except I didn't say 'as a front kick'.

YouKnowWho
07-03-2009, 08:15 PM
The back leg side kick can be a good combo if you use step in right side kick, when your opponent use his right arm to deflect your kick and force you to spin counter clockwise (top view), you can borrow his force and delieve a real leg side kick (or spin back kick).

Lucas
07-03-2009, 09:38 PM
thats a good one, pretty unexpected too.

No_Know
07-05-2009, 04:19 PM
Block then kick the support leg. Bridge, follow an attack back. As an attack empties go into that vacuum. As the opponent steps back or withdraws pivot to close and you are set whe the attack renews. Hit them during preparation or early in the renewed attack.

No_Know

I notice the distance-- a foot plus the length from your knee to the top of your waist plus half of your shin-length...because it is a side kick it frustrates a rush.

Timing--by the time you snatch the knee to your gut level the sole of your foot is to your target area (direction). Use the pull as a spring. Motion to accentuate/augment motion. It's a sway. The coil of the pull cushions to push--shoot into the range of the target area.

The use comes as a reactionary after a failure attack from the opponent. Opponent veers off or shifts weight it might be the strike after the stretch.

I see the tuck or pull being a knee attack odr shin block to a kick. At this point the opponent who gets a mid level or low kick blocked is on one leg. The block is first stage. The release of the kick is second stage pressing the thigh or knee or calf off-balancing the person perhaps.

No_Know

Oso
07-05-2009, 05:24 PM
The back leg side kick can be a good combo if you use step in right side kick, when your opponent use his right arm to deflect your kick and force you to spin counter clockwise (top view), you can borrow his force and delieve a real leg side kick (or spin back kick).

thats a good one, pretty unexpected too.

i agree, a good one...but not all that unexpected...pretty basic sort of combo. Or, should be once the spin side kick is learned and is used in sparring.

admittedly, my watching of mma events has declined over the last year but I had seen an increase of the use of the spin side/spin back, and not just from Cung Le.

it can be tricky, but not if your training partners are using it regularly. anytime I see someone start to purposefully over-rotate out of a recovery movement (getting your leg kick deflected) I look for the spin kick.

mickey
07-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Greetings,

The rear leg side kick:

1- At the end of a wicked upper body combination. Attack points to be considered would be the knee, pelvic bone, solar plexus.

2- After side stepping or angling away from a direct attack. Attack points are the ribs, liver, neck, jaw, temple.

3- As a counter to a rear leg round house kick. Attack points would be the knee of the supporting leg, groin (stomp in hard), solar plexus, liver.

A wicked stomping rear leg heel kick would be a delicious replacement for the rear leg side kick in some of the above suggestions

Stop thinking sparring and start thinking survival. The possibilities will start coming through.

mickey

YouKnowWho
07-05-2009, 07:17 PM
After you miss your 1st kick, you try to use your rear leg for the 2nd kick, besides the side kick, horse back kick (toe point down heel point up), spin back kick, there is another kick that can be quite useful too, that is to use the "leg lifting" throw as a nuts kick.

Lee Chiang Po
07-05-2009, 11:45 PM
If you have difficulty connecting with a particular kick, drop it from your arsonal. If it doesn't work for you, it is a total waste of time. Train a kick that works well.
A rear leg kick takes too long to reach a target and it does not generate any more power than a front leg kick. The side kick is usually practiced by Karate fighters using a side forward stance. Some gung fu fighters use it, but it is more a deflection or distraction. It can do some damage, but it is not usually considered anything dangerous. I use it only for targets below the waiste, either firectly in front of me or a target that exists directly to my side. If it requires me to spin around I will not kick.
Also, a good kick is thrown after an entry technique that is at the upper part of the body. A distraction if you will, that will either distract the eye of the opponent or make him move into an unstable position. You never want to simply throw a long kick at an opponent that is aware of your intentions.

Lucas
07-06-2009, 09:59 AM
follow up kicks like that off of failed or 'apparently failed' kicks 'can' always be unexpected.

lets face it, when you connect solidly with a tech like that, be it punch, kick, throw or what have you, your follow up is in part successfull because you were able to suprise your opponent with it. thats what makes it work, if it was fully expected and not in the slightest un expected, nothing would land.

its about deception, follow through and commitment a lot of the times. no one can expect everything or fights would be like a shaw bros movie.

YouKnowWho
07-06-2009, 02:42 PM
The 1st kick is like the 1st jab, it usually fails but it can help you to set up the 2nd kick (or jab, hook combo).