PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis "Practice Dummies"

whitmcc
04-29-2001, 02:09 AM
Hey, folks! After reading the article in the latest IKF about the "Hangman" Praying Mantis training dummy, I was wondering if any of you have constructed similar devices to train with. I'm always on the lookout for new training methods and apparatus, so does anyone have any interesting suggestions?

8stepsifu
04-29-2001, 02:31 AM
there is a 7 star book with directions on how to build one. I don't know the name of the book though.

don't worry be happy

Inquisitor
04-29-2001, 04:27 AM
Personally, I feel that the dummy shown in the IKF article is not a good training tool. But that is just IMHO. Others undoubtedly feel differently.

An interesting sidenote somewhat related to the topic:

The last grandmaster of Tai Chi Praying Mantis, Grandmaster Chiu Chuk Kai, implemented the use of the Wing Chun Mook Jong (Wooden Dummy) into the Tai Chi Praying Mantis curriculum. I believe it had something to do with his exposure to the the wooden dummy during his time at the Jing Wu association that led him to see its effectiveness as a training tool and subsequently add it into Tai Chi Praying Mantis... Does anyone more knowledgeable in the system have anything to correct/add?

wisdom mind
05-02-2001, 08:02 PM
mantis108 here is a tai chi mantis practitioner who sells the grandmasters book for 50 bux, its in chinese and he has a few left.

email him at sifu1@internorth.com

mantis108
05-02-2001, 08:32 PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the support Centerline Vortex. I do have a few of the books left. Should anyone is intereseted in the book or any question about Tai Chi (Taiji) Manits, please feel free to email me at sifu1@internorth.com.

Here an excerpt from an upcoming article that I am writting for the legacy of Sigung.

When Grandmaster Chiu was training as a young disciple in a temple in Shantung province, China, he trained with a rudimentary wooden dummy that was not as elaborate as the wall mounted one. He practiced mostly loose movements know as Sau Fa with it. They were in majority Tai Tzu Men (Grand Ancestral) Long Fist techniques, which were not choreographed as a form. He would later on complete his Taiji Praying Mantis (TJPM) training in Shantung as well. Years later, he relocated to Macao, where he joined a brotherhood with 12 other people in a special ceremony. One of his 12 sworn brethren was Sifu Chu Chun Man, who was a Wing Chun practitioner. Sifu Chu owned a Kwoon (Training Hall), which had a wall-mounted wooden dummy. Grandmaster Chiu realized this legendary tool could help develop the close-range combat techniques to round out the long-range oriented northern styles. He then combined the Tai Tzu Men and Taiji Praying Mantis Techniques to created the prototypical version of the wooden dummy form making use of the dummy at his sworn brother’s Kwoon. He would take the prototypical version to Vietnam where he would teach thousands of students. After the Vietnam civil war, the late Grandmaster Chiu resided in Hong Kong and developed the definitive version, which is in now immortalized in the Taiji Praying Mantis Wooden Dummy book.

Hope this help

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa