07-02-2009, 08:52 AM
what do you think?

no differerence.

yes difference.

:D

SPJ
07-02-2009, 08:57 AM
1. Tai Ji stressed chan si jin or yielding in power and position first

so the tactics, strategy, principles and theories all evolve around the signature power.

2. Mantis focuses on arm intercepting first and with quick change of steps, left right up and down, etc.

3. Xing Yi, the body and arms/hands function like a spear and move like a spear.

4. Ba Gua, circles around hands, arms, body and steps, or yuan cheng jin and spiral jin,

--

on and on.

so I say yes way different among styles.

;)

SPJ
07-02-2009, 09:01 AM
so not everything ends with looking like kick boxing,

there are some strikes, some throws, etc.

;)

MightyB
07-02-2009, 12:34 PM
so not everything ends with looking like kick boxing,

there are some strikes, some throws, etc.

;)

kind've but not really...
The main differences lMO lie in the preference of a particular combat range taking the old Shuai Na Ti Da methodology and those can even be broken down into preference.

For instance- some styles concentrate on striking - some on throwing - some on wrestling. Striking can be further broken down into hitting and kicking - those can be broken down to angle etc.

Over time we develop extreme instances of overspecialization to the point where certain techniques only work against a practitioner of the same "style". I use Chin Na as a prime example. A lot of Chin Na only works in Chin Na seminars.

MightyB
07-02-2009, 12:48 PM
sorta like now... for me, I'm not so great with the striking anymore. My particular blend of kungfudo relies more on the grappling range / mostly throws and groundwork cuz I don't like getting hit to much anymore... so, if I spar hard with one of my mantis brothers - I fight and treat them as a Judo white belt to give me an advantage. If I go against a good Judo guy - I treat them as a novice wrestler. Doesn't mean I always win - but I feel my odds are better.

not sure this makes any sense... but it's how I role. ;)