PDA

View Full Version : wah lum praying mantis

cloudhands
03-28-2001, 12:58 AM
hello, i have a question. it is my understanding that pui chan recieved much of his training from chan wan ching. my question is , is there anyone else teaching wah lum in the united states that also learned from chan wan ching. i dont study wah lum but if i do someday decide to look into it i would like to get as close to the source as possible. no offense to pui chan is intended as his skill in the arts is quite exceptional. i am merely trying to get as much information as possible.
thankyou in advance for taking the time to answer.

cloudhands
03-28-2001, 12:59 AM
sorry about that. i didnt notice it was a poll until to late and i didnt want to write it all over again. :)

bitesfirst
03-28-2001, 02:27 AM
Sifu Nelson Chan in Quincy MA. He is master Chan's brother and an excellent Sifu.

woliveri
03-28-2001, 02:36 AM
Nelson Chan learned from Chan Wan Ching??? Are you sure? I thought Nelson learned from Master Chan. I could be totally wrong though. Please correct me.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

cloudhands
03-28-2001, 06:14 AM
i just visited the web site for his school in quincy mass and i am very impressed. it turns out chan wan ching was his sifu in wah lum. although it says he also studyed with his brothers as well. in adition he also teaches tai chi, choy lee fut, and hung gar. i live a good distance away but i think it might be worth driving down there to go take a look.
thanks for the info bitesfirst
it is apreciated :)

bitesfirst
03-28-2001, 06:41 AM
Glad I could help. I'm actually trying to get to him more often. I realy enjoy learning from him.

Hua Lin Laoshi
03-28-2001, 10:12 PM
Master Chan Pui is the Grandmaster of the style but his brother Nelson was the scrapper. It's my understanding that he took on all the Wah Lum challenges in the old days. I'm sure they both trained together under Chan Wan Ching.

I heard tell of older Wah Lum Sifu's not associated with the Temple but they are not high profile and probably don't teach or run schools. I was at the Wah Lum school in China in '98 as well as the new headquarters and it didn't seem to be flourishing there like it is here. Most of the high level Sifu's are very old and are passing their knowledge directly to Master Chan.