PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Your Static Ideas

seung ga faat
03-31-2001, 03:30 AM
Challenge # 1
Take the movement that we call Lau Sau Bou Cheui/
Gung sek- Bou Cheui/Wah Sek ( a simple two punch combination shifting from bow stance to horse stance). Now, examine the footwork and bodywork in accordance to all the principles of you style (deal with the ones you understand). Then try applying these ideas with a partner. Don't forget the use of angles and circles or your transitions. Also do the same with your hand, arm and even fingerwork. Use what you consider offense as defense and what you consider defense as offense then try using them as elements of neither.
Lau sau means; gather hand and cheui means; burst so, even these ideas are not static. :cool: :cool: ;)

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

harkfu
03-31-2001, 04:26 AM
See what I go through in class. This post is my Sifu's and in class you don't get to think for a couple of days when he puts this kinda stuff out there. This is the kinda thing that will upset you at first but, now I know what to expect and that not expect what you expect. Now the funny thing about it is what I just wrote makes sense to me now I understand the concept of adaption and change better than I did before but, Sifu wants this from the beginning as a basic.
Good luck guys!!!

make me humble so, that I may learn
Harkfu

seung ga faat
04-02-2001, 06:02 PM
Please, excuse my earlier post. I am very sorry for my challenge. I thought this was the NPM forum for the exchange of information and ideas. I see now that I was WRONG. I was under the impression, we are supposed to engage in the exchange of real info and also this is an amazing way to network with or peers both beginner and advanced.
I had a long conversation with a Long fist master of 50 years +. His words to me were that I was the product of old fashion teacher. He said I still teach as if I'm teaching an art with limitless potential and that I am dinosuar.
My response was thank you and then we both laughed.
When you remove a bondery from idea you free your self if, only minutely but, you free yourself all the same. Give it a try. The silly challenges and death matches, the my style is real and yours isn't,the so you can't steal and all of this stolen,will still be right where you left it when you come back but, perhaps just perhaps YOU WON'T NEED IT!!!

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

mikeW
04-03-2001, 12:10 AM
Hey Sifu,I really like the idea of combinations.So often teachers and students alike train singular techniques which brings them to an end or finishing movement not just physically but mentally.I like the lau sao bo cheui because of the way in which the waist needs to move in order to generate jing, you can actually feel the drive to penetrate the targat in the transition from gung sek to wah sek.But what most people miss is the shuffle step while performing the movements;you see this shuffle step keeps you in motion both phsyically and mentally.But I think what I like even better is to interchange what's considered to be offense into defense and vice/verse even further broadening ones horizon.
I hope my reply is at least close to what the point is you were trying to get across??? I would also suggest the same stances finishing in wah sek using pek cheui. "great motivation".

Sifu Mike Whetstone (Chatsing)
:p

seung ga faat
04-03-2001, 01:03 AM
Challenge #2
Take a few of your round/circular skills; hyuen cheui,dai hyuen cheui, fan che cheui,sui fan che cheui,and pek cheui( yes, pek cheui has a circular element).Examine the entire movements beginning through end. Then use those skills for protection only against a partner. Have your partner use direct slow attacks in the beginning then, pick-up the speed. Be careful not to see just the ending of each skill. Try to use the entire movement.
I have found this idea usefull in teaching the application of no block theory. :)

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

seung ga faat
04-12-2001, 07:17 PM
It seems I have a lot of interest but no responses to this thread. I wonder why ? In earlier post I have made my positions clear on how I view this art and I am now showing the how as well as the why.
Now, Let's examine to use of the entry skills; Sprouting,Leaning and Fanning. Once you have a firm understanding of these skills try each of them as exit skills. What you are trying to accomplish is using them as exit attacks or exit fakes or ...
See what you come up with the possiblities are extremely challenging and don't forget using a partner.

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

seung ga faat
04-19-2001, 10:15 PM
Answer my earlier challenges on this forum or E mail me at seunggafaat@iwon.com. if you have questions. This forum is a wonderful tool for the advancement of martial knowledge and exchange of info.

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

JJMantis
04-19-2001, 11:44 PM
Sifu -

Don't be so quick to be discouraged by lack of replies.
1) this forum is a lot less hoppin than the kung fu forum
2) as you noted, there is a lot of "I challenge you, your style sucks" postings here. IMHO, not that many serious kung fu people come here and participate, especially in comparison to these other posts
3) myself, I need time to go off and play with these things. Also, we don't use chinese names for indivudual moves, since we don't speak chinese! I'm sure if I tried using more of that terminology, I'd say it wrong. So my third point is that I don't recognize many of the things you mentioned.

seung ga faat
04-20-2001, 02:50 AM
I learned this style from someone who didn't speak much english. So I learned my forms in chinese and translated them into english with my Sifu's help when it was possible. I'm more than willing to answer any questions so, feel free and ask away.

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

8stepsifu
04-20-2001, 04:27 AM
Use the sickle hands, mantis hook grab/sun punch combo as a training element for sparring.

Use the combo backfist/horse stance lift up for san shou events.

If you are losing the throw samba, you can go with their resistance and apply the throw low.

For a leg catch to the outside, use ma bo ti on them.

backfist, hook mantis kick or jab rev sun punch, mantis kick are a good combo.

also backfist, hook to chopping hands.

if you get hooked in the head or for any wide hooks either do samba or if it's in too deep apply la bie.

wow, what great info, oh whats that? Foreign terminology? Oh well, I guess thats all part of the challenge.

don't worry be happy

seung ga faat
05-20-2001, 02:33 AM
I guess you all need more time well, here's a pop quiz does: Does praying mantis have a fighting stance? And please explain your answer. Your responses will help me understand your level of understanding.

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas

WongFeHung
05-28-2001, 11:47 PM
(sneaking onto the npm boards-sshhhh! Be vewy quiet) Is there or is there not a such thing as a fighting stance? This is a Sifu's riddle, because we tell our students theat there is no fighting stance because you are either fighting, or not fighting. If you are outside of critical distance, meaning the opponent has to enter to reach you, then there is no point to even put your guard up.(not fighting) but if he enters, or better still if you enter, then you are hitting(fighting)so where is this all powerful fighting stance? And why do we practice reaction drills from bai-jong? I tell them it is the most economical way to hold your hands up so as to intercept and be loaded for strikes, but to stand there and pose is silly.Our hand position is actually more like chain punches frozen in time,yet not frozen because they are always moving. Strikes thrown from a standstill show initial movement and can be percieved-telegraphing. Posing also offeres your opponent a blind side, but when in constant motion, there is no blind side, nowhere to enter. This is still too much of a defensive attitude in my book anyway. I feel that if you are fighting, then you should be attacking, jamming, rushing, and hitting, hitting, hitting. Otherwise you are playing catch-up, you are fighting his fight, and letting your opponent dictate the fight. This isn't even okay for point fighting. Just my two cents.-Hey, BTW It was great to see you at Wong's Tournament. As I won't be at the bash, I'll probably see you at the Capital Classics, or at The Wong Fei-Hung Tournament in Joisey!

8stepsifu
05-29-2001, 03:00 AM
Yes there is a fighting stance. Just like there is a position for running of a "batting stance" in baseball.

If your asking if mantis has one, the answer is yes.

Take the world lightly, and your spirit will not be burdened. Consider everything minor, and your mind will not be confused. Regard death and life as equal, and your heart will not be afraid.
Pick up the July Issue of blackbelt
http://www.8step.com/news/news31.html

EARTH DRAGON
05-29-2001, 08:04 PM
SIFU SEUNG YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM DO NOT GO UNOTICED FOR PEOPLE DO TAKE HEAD TO YOUR WORDS, THE QUESTION IS WILL THEY PRACTICE........ PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHECK OUT OUR FROUM AS WELL , WE ARE JUST GETTING STARTED AND HAVE MUCH ROOM FOR A RESPECTFUL VOICE AND INTERESTING WORDS SUCH AS YOURS.......HUMBLELY SIFU MICHAEL

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

EARTH DRAGON
05-29-2001, 08:06 PM
SIFU SEUNG YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM DO NOT GO UNNOTICED FOR PEOPLE DO TAKE HEED TO YOUR WORDS, THE QUESTION IS WILL THEY PRACTICE........ PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CHECK OUT OUR FORUM AS WELL , WE ARE JUST GETTING STARTED AND HAVE MUCH ROOM FOR A RESPECTFUL VOICE AND INTERESTING WORDS SUCH AS YOURS.......HUMBLELY SIFU MICHAEL

http://www.kungfuUSA.net

WongFeHung
05-30-2001, 12:05 AM
I would liken it more to a receiving stance for a serve in tennis or handball, rather than baseball. In baseball,(posing, and definately giving the blind side) you know exactly where the pitch is going (the strike zone) and you are loaded specifically for that. In tennis,(more mobile, no blind side) you don't know whether or not it will require a fore hand, backhand, overhand, whether or not you will have to run one way or the other, etc. You have to be much more mobile, and able to react spontaneously to the serve. Most likely soccer, water polo,basketball,would be closer to what I am trying to convey, as the action is constant and unpredictable. In fencing,or using the gim, there is one sword, so you face with sword foward to intercept, parry, and attack. In using two swords, the whole game changes. So if there is a fighting stance, what is it, and why is it?

seung ga faat
06-01-2001, 03:26 AM
Earth Dragon, I checked the site and I registered so I will be posting soon. Thanks for the info it is an impressive site.
Ten Tigers, we have been on the same page for too long. Welcome to the Dino-dome where all old-time Kung Fu men do battle to stay alive.It was a pleasure meeting your Wife to be and Daughter. Thanks for the violet.
8 Step Sifu, a direct answer to a direct question. But I know from your earlier post that this answer is only bait for more responses.Your applied theory here is admirable. But we both know you have no need for rigid or fixed positions in the application of good kung fu. Tong Long Bou Sihm/Praying Mantis Embraces Immortality is not a pose but a Transition :)

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas :) :) :)

[This message was edited by Seung Ga Faat on 06-01-01 at 06:45 PM.]

seung ga faat
06-01-2001, 04:21 AM
Someone came into the store and interupt my my original posting.
Tong Long BOU sihm is many thing including a transition is a better way of explaining my position.

Thanx, Sifu Othal Thomas