PDA

View Full Version : Thrown weapons

JackNate
07-02-2009, 11:23 PM
Now I'm not planning on carrying around any darts or throwing knives, but wondering about self defense involving thrown objects. You here from time to time about throwing sand, hot coffee, 1980's shurikens, bottles, etc in order to surprise an opponent and gain an advantage. What I wonder is if anyone actually practices throwing objects(preferably common and legal) in a martial context. I know it happens as "quick thinking" but if you trained it with your other skills maybe it could be really useful.

jdhowland
07-03-2009, 08:16 AM
Our style has steel bolts and coins. The "biu" bolts are about eleven inches long and awkward to pack around. The coins were supposedly sharpened or filed to have serrated edges. That's a good way to lose a lawsuit.

I like to practice with quarter dollars or dollar coins. To train, simply place an open paper bag as a target and practice throwing the coins through the first layer of paper. The back of the bag stops the coin. If you get good at it, you end up with a messed up bag of coins and don't have to pick up any from the floor.

I can't imagine this has any good self defense application. It's too deliberate an action. You have to reach for a coin, aim and throw with power. Same with using the sharpened coins between the fingers--premeditated all the way.

A real self defense scenario might involve throwing loose change, keys or whatever is in a handy pocket at the time. With my luck it would be pocket lint.

Be well.
jd

Lucas
07-03-2009, 11:05 AM
personally i practice knife throwing. just for fun really. in a confrontation i would rather hold on to my knife than risk throwing it and screwing up and giving someone my kife.

in this day and age its quicker to just go get a concealed weapons permit and pack a small 9mm if you want a projectile, rather than taking the years involved in mastering a throwing art.

one thing i do to practice my throws though is I hange a feather down pillow from the ceiling, and try to pass my knife completely through the pillow. I also have a section of plywood I throw at. you can set your pillow in front of the ply wood and give it as bit of a swing so you can try against a moving target. another good practice is to set up the swinging target and have your knife (or what ever object you use) where you would normally carry it on your person and draw, throw.

i have a friend who carries a blade in a wrist holster, and he can in one motion pop it into his hand wind throw and stick his target. its pretty amazing.

i guess it just depends on how much dedication and time you plan on spending on a skill like that to even make it a street applicable skill.

but it sure is fun to stick a blade in something from a distance.

i always wanted to learn that mountain man axe throwing stuff. that looks so cool

JackNate
07-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Throwing knives and other sharp things is definatly fun. I'm thinking more along the lines of being able to hit someone with very random objects. I suppose most attacks occur with the asailant already too close for you to throw a rock or coffee mug at him. Maybe this skill would be handier if you are the attacker blindsiding some poor stranger.

Bar brawls seem to involve thrown bottles and things, not that I partake in them personally.

Lucas
07-03-2009, 01:21 PM
I see what your saying.

In todays modern world, maybe it would be a good idea to get an old cell phone and practice with that. lol.

kinda joking but, hell we all have them pretty much. Mines usually in my pocket.

sand/dirt and such is and always has been a great distractor if you can get it in someones eyes. at the very least they are going to have watering eyes. usually that will force people to tighten up their guard to protect their face, or to try and clear their eyes, leaving their legs and groin un protected allowing for sweeps, easy take down, knee crushing, groing strikes etc.

its definately a good thing to think about in regards to personal self defense in every day life. there are always objects around us.

i remember (and i dont know what style) watching some shaolin monk doing a form, at one point in the form (he was outside) he was in a drop stance and from that did grab a handful of grass/dirt and flung it in the eye direction and followed up with a nice combination.

TenTigers
07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
I always carry double edged razorblades, open safety pins, and broken glass in my pockets, so if I am ever attacked, I quickly thrust my hand into my pocket..
OOOWWW! ARRRGGGHH! &*%$#@&!!!!!!:D

JackNate
07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
I had an unfortunate incident involving some razor blades while rumaging around in my tool bag at work. Ouch!

Lucas
07-03-2009, 04:31 PM
razor blades, broken glass, pockets....

'toolbag' isnt a secret word for something else is it?

;):p

TenTigers
07-03-2009, 05:32 PM
as in,"Yo, nice toolbag, Dale!" :eek:

JackNate
07-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm not sure, but we might not be on the same page.

uki
07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
i am a mason and i am constantly musing the idea of throwing block hammers, 4 lb hammers, cinderblocks, stones, and bricks at would-be attackers... i dunno, but something tells me a thrown 8 lb sledgehammer might stop anybody from attacking you if it hits them... you can fling stucco stone like a frisbie... oh, i know, a thrown box of concrete nails! ouch! :D

Dale Dugas
07-09-2009, 10:33 AM
as in,"Yo, nice toolbag, Dale!" :eek:

Excuse me?

;)

uki
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Excuse me?well... you do have a knack for comparing people to tool bags... in my case, your vistor message is "another no name, no style tool bag." if i were a thin skinned individual, i might be upset that you posted this message to me. :)

Lee Chiang Po
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
Any object with substance can be thrown as a distraction. Distracting by refocusing an attackers attention temperarily. When I was a young man I was often stopped and searched for weapons as I would commonly carry them. I had to find other weapons that I could more easily explain. Half dollar coins were just the right weight and I could carry several in each pocket. A coin tossed with conviction can cause nasty cuts to the face and head as well as stunning a person. This can give you time to either run or rush in and take advantage of your opponent. You can toss them from really close ranges, like only a few feet distance, and cause serious pain or injury to someone. The closer you are to the target, the more difficult it is to dodge the coin. Come to think of it, I have not seen a half dollar coin now in many years.
People thought I was crazy, but I made a catcher from an old bed sheet with a cardboard box sitting in the middle of it. I cut a 3 inch hole in the box and would practice throwing the coins through that hole. I used both hands, side arm, over arm, and under arm. I was not throwing more than a few feet actually, maybe 3 to 4 feet at most, but that is the range you will need most of the time. If you consistantly hit a 3 inch hole and practice putting strength behind it, you can become a dangerous man.

uki
07-12-2009, 07:31 AM
i wouldn't hesitate to throw my 9 lb iron juggle balls at would-be attackers... batter up!

Lucas
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
anyone know the legalities of shuriken?

uki
07-20-2009, 01:40 PM
anyone know the legalities of shuriken?if it looks like a weapon, it is a weapon... rule of thumb of course.

perhaps you can paint them with x-mas scenes and play them off as christmas tree decorations?? beer coasters? you can wear them from a big thick gold chain around your neck. get creative!! LOL... ummm... this is my sons teething toy. :D

rogue
07-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I throw hats. Seriously, just run of the mill ball caps. A quick throw into the other guys eyes buys you a half second to close get the first shot in. Not sexy or cool but it's worked against various guys I've tried it on.

Lee Chiang Po
07-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Most anything can be used in this capacity. Caps, hats, change, keys, whatever. Surikens are not legal and are considered as an edged weapon. I know, I have had several taken from me when I was arrested with them. I used to have a Derby hat with a cute little feather in it. The feather was attached to a razor sharp throwing knife in the hat band. A quick swing of the hat and it came out flying fast. The feather kept it flying blade first. That one is in some showcase in a local police dept.
Along with throwing heavy objects at one's face, I also like to use a sudden, loud chirping yell that is sure to take him by surprise and leave him sort of stunned or disoriented for a few seconds at least, and in that time I would step in and unleash havoc on him. This was one of Bruce Lee's methods of distraction as well.

uki
07-23-2009, 01:30 AM
That one is in some showcase in a local police dept. LOL. the police have my original fire-breathing stick i bought in norway a few years ago... i had a sidebag full of beer, parafin, and was spitting fire on mainstreet one night when i was bum-rushed by the police and taken to the jail to sleep off my drunkedness. LMAO!!

Along with throwing heavy objects at one's face, I also like to use a sudden, loud chirping yell that is sure to take him by surprise and leave him sort of stunned or disoriented for a few seconds at least, and in that time I would step in and unleash havoc on him. This was one of Bruce Lee's methods of distraction as well.gotta love the monkey styles baby!!! :D

David Jamieson
07-27-2009, 03:57 PM
who had the frog belt buckle?

tell that story again!