PDA

View Full Version : Kung Fu Shoppers

7starmantis
04-09-2001, 10:07 AM
This thread is a spin-off from one of LizMantis's entries in the last Jon Funk thread - I decided to start a new thread since the discussion had gotten off topic and what I wanted to say didn't have anything to do with Mr. Funk.

I do see alot of 'Kung Fu Shoppers' at tournaments as of late, and I am not very fond of using video tapes for martial arts. Generally people buy instructional videos to learn a certain form or pattern from a style they are not familiar with, as Kingmantis pointed out. I do understand the curiosity with doing this, but I think its a very poor way to learn.

From the videos I have seen, the general method of learning is just to mimic the movements. There is usually a brief explanation, although not always, of the applications of the various techniques. However, can you really learn and understand applications merely through observation?

In my opinion, this is a very superficial way of learning -- there is no real-life interaction with the student or your peers, it's basically imitating. I think you can get a basic grasp of some of the concepts behind the techniques, but unless you are learning face-to-face, with the opportunity to ask questions and also with intervention to correct poor or incorrect technique, then you're only short-changing yourself.

I think Liz had a point in that many teachers are reluctant to release videos because they don't want their style to be presented in this distilled fashion. It also affects their credibility if individuals are making claims of having studied with certain sifus based on a few seminars or videotapes. It's unfortunate there is so much squabble concerning legitimacy in the martial arts world, but reputation is important nonetheless.

This topic touches on the subject of crosstraining - and the 'Kung Fu Shopper', who in my way of thinking is someone who likes to observe and absorb as many different styles they can. My sifu has a saying that regarding newer kung fu students, many have "eyes bigger than their stomach". This means that many students, in their zest to learn, attempt to accelerate their learning and use the philosophy that quantity is better than quality.

I have found that many students lack patience, and don't often approach their martial arts training seriously and with humility. I have seen many new students who want to zip through a whole form in one night, not spending enough time to really let the underlying concepts and applications sink in. Other students have come to the school, and wanted to learn weapons from the get-go, almost to the point of demanding what they should be getting taught. This type of attitude toward training is fairly commonplace but disconcerting to me -- when students think their sifu should be like a jukebox - and that since they are paying for the classes, they should learn whatever they desire, at their own pace. To me, this is an insult to the teacher and rather presumptious.

Now, students with this mindset usually lack the determination and dedication to become serious in their training (they generally drop out rather quickly at our school), but I still see this go on alot. For example, I have seen and talked with students at tournaments performing various weapon patterns, such as Kwan Do or Hook swords, who could not really explain the applications behind the techniques or who admitted they only learned the form from a video. I am grateful that my sifu spends a great deal of time in demonstrating and explaining each technique when learning forms and concepts.

I'm NOT totally against cross-training - I have learned some Eagle Claw concepts from Lily and James Lau for example through their seminars - but I think alot of people mistakenly adopt the 'more is better' adage. I'm always a little amused when people tend to brag about how many forms they have learned, or that their system has X amount more than so-and-so system. My sifu has said that it's better to learn 1 form well, spending adequate time to really internalize it then to hurridly learn many half-heartedly. I think that some cross-training, when done properly, can enhance your main style but must be done seriously.

I know everyone gets into martial arts for their own reasons; we all have our own motivation and paths to follow. I myself tend to look at Kung Fu as a life-time committment and sometimes I perhaps expect the same of others. As Hua Lin Laoshi said in the earlier thread, learning in martial arts isn't always learning a new technique but better understanding what you have already learned.

Okay, I had intended to be more succinct, but as usual, I tend to ramble ... what is everyone else's thoughts on cross-training and learning from videos, quality vs. quantity? I tend to think that kung fu instructional videos have more to do with making a sifu some quick cash rather than spreading or preserving their art.

Kiasyd
04-09-2001, 08:49 PM
I agree with all that you said, and I'm sure that almost serious martial artist agree too. Learning from a "living" teacher is an entirely unique experience. I can tell this because I learned to play guitar all by myself, through books, some videos and watching other players, and because of this I know I'll never be as good as someone who got direct lessons from a teacher.

A real teacher will create the discipline needed to trains over and over the basic aspects of the art, and that discipline is _very_ difficult to aquire alone.

-- Kiasyd

woliveri
04-09-2001, 10:06 PM
If I had listened to my original teacher I would never have grown in the ways that I have. I would never have learned the Qi Gong that I have. My Chinese Teacher, at the time, said that Qi Gong was BS and that he wouldn't endorse any Qi Gong exercise at all. Now I understand he has a different feeling but I would have wasted time and remained ignorant if I blindly followed his view. If I stopped after learning one Qi Gong Exercise I would have also suffered as by learning other Qi Gong exercises I have gained different and more deep understanding from learning different exercises. Now I have no problem with viewing forms on Video tape but even the most detailed of videos would not be the same as the real deal. What's great about Videos is seeing how another style moves and how it relates to your own style.

There is no spoon. "The Matrix"
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path. "The Matrix"

Kiasyd
04-11-2001, 04:46 PM
Yes, but having one sifu doesn't mean that you should _only_ have one teacher in your entire live! :)

And also, always try to go for the most traditional sifus. I think thats this chinese sifu of yours does not follow the traditions of Kung Fu and oriental philosophy saying that Qi Gong is BS. :)

BTW, do you learn Qi Gong through videos?

-- Kiasyd

7starmantis
04-13-2001, 06:01 PM
Looking back on my post, it does seem a bit jugmental, which was not really my intention. I should add that I have learned some Wu-style Tai Chi from my Sifu, and I think this has greatly enhanced my Praying Mantis as well. Its definitely something I would like to purse more in the future.

And my first involvement in martial arts was Tae Kwon Do for about 5 years when I was in grade school - at that time there were no Chinese teachers in my area. I don't regret those years of training, but I'm glad I finally found a wonderful sifu to teach me what I had always been looking for.

Woliveri - I'm suprised that your kung-fu sifu would speak out so harshly on Qi Gong - good for you to follow your curiosity though

Destrous9
04-17-2001, 02:27 AM
I use video and books to supplement my training, and it works well.

If you know a stance, a palm, a form, etc, another opinion always helps.

...especially if you live in the middle of no where, and sifu's aren't a dima a dozen.

"Deep down inside of all of us is the power to accomplish what we want to, if we'll just stop looking elsewhere."

mantis714mrkmrg
04-18-2001, 03:47 AM
I dont agree, Ive studied 10 years with my master before he retired, I learned all traditional forms and many I mean many applictions, which was stressed the most, so now I still work out and do hands on as much as possible, but after a while its nice to learn something new, then you can practice the moves, finding new applictions, or maybe one that was similar that you already have but now with a slightly differnt twist its alot more brutal, and also you might stir up some old cob webs that you forgot about, god I hcant wait to work out now !!! ;)