PDA

View Full Version : How do you get to the final wing chun product?

Ultimatewingchun
07-07-2009, 11:53 AM
Not that there is ever really a "final" product, because you always have to keep learning new things and refining what you do, imo; but by final product I mean how do you get to the point where you now believe that your wing chun is truly functional? That it's now in a place that has quite a few answers to fighting, including having lots of answers in terms of dealing with other skilled fighters and styles of fighting.

Now of course working against people skilled in other arts must be a big part of this, so that's a given. And frequently. But what else is involved here? That's where this thread is intended to go.

The following is a post I made on another thread, and I want to use it as a jumping off point that you guys might want to consider.

There are applications for lop, pak, bil, tan, bong, garn, jut, etc. that can work.

But without constant sparring using serious contact, ie.- full, (or very close to full) power headshots, body punches, kicks, knees, and elbows being thrown with the same intensity (and I believe that using thin gloves but lots of protective gear is the way to go - with all due respect to the Dog Brothers and mma fighters)....

without these things - wing chun people will never find out what the applications for these moves (and the concepts and principles behind the moves) really are.

And what doesn't work at all.

After a full contact sparring session recently with myself and two other students who are way ahead of him - as well as being bigger than him by 5-6 inches, one of my students turned to me and said that when you spar - "you have to do a whole other version of wing chun".

He went on to say that the way he had to use pak, and lop, bong, bil, etc.. was different than what's done in the forms, drills, chi sao, etc.

And I was very happy that he said all this - because it shows me he's really starting to understand what it's all about. The very same thing I've been discovering for many years now for myself - this was starting to click for him too. The forms, drills, chi sao, wooden dummy, etc. all serve a purpose - by providing the letters that make up the alphabet, some phrases, some sentences, even a short paragraph or two here-and-there.

But all of this means nothing if you don't go and make your own paragraghs for yourself. More than paragraghs. YOU have to go REWRITE THE BOOK - and the book may constantly change with each new set of circumstances, with each new sparring partner, perhaps even with each new tool that an old sparring partner might bring to the table the next time.

It's important to learn the forms, drills, chi sao, etc. - and it's important to get grounded in certain applications of what's in the forms, drills, chi sao, wooden dummy, etc...and to periodically return to these things - but it all comes out in the sparring.

In the end, it's the sparring/fighting that determines how the techniques will come out, which techniques, and when. What strategies, and when. Which concepts/principles to use most, and when. And the final product may seriously surprise you.

chusauli
07-08-2009, 07:33 AM
Victor,

Every generation has to make the art alive for themselves. The old generation can only pass on what they've gleaned from it. We have the skeleton, but we have to change it with each generation. We cannot say "Teach WCK traditionally" in a robotic sense, we have to say, "Teach WCK in the sense of the founder - make it actually work and be practical". It can be a fine line for many.

I really like what you say about "rewriting the book". Yip Man did not grow up with Muay Thai, boxing, BJJ, MMA...we descendants have to.

The Japanese speak of Shu Ha Ri - learning as they were taught, developing, then finally transcending - actually that is traditional.

When I studied Xing Yi and Ba Gua they spoke of stages - Fixed stage, Alive stage, then finally changing/dissolving/permutation stage.

I think a lot of the conversations here revolve upon the "Fixed Stage".

BTW, I have no corroboration with BM on anything. I really found that amusing!

Best regards,

Ultimatewingchun
07-08-2009, 10:59 AM
"I really like what you say about 'rewriting the book'. Yip Man did not grow up with Muay Thai, boxing, BJJ, MMA...we descendants have to." (Robert Chu)

.................................................. ..

***I'LL TELL YOU an interesting Moy Yat/Yip Man story in this regard, Robert. According to Moy Yat, who claimed that he was there on this particular day and witnessed this himself, someone once showed Yip Man a photo (or a series of photos) of a Muay Thai match wherein a roundhouse is being thrown by one fighter with his right leg, and the defender is blocking the kick with a downward spike with his left elbow - while immediately (almost simultaneously) returning a kick of his own on the other side with his right leg.

And Yip Man said, "this is a good move".

And there was also another Moy Yat/Yip Man story wherein a judo fighter once challenged Yip Man - and Yip Man punched him out when the judo guy tried to clinch.

THAT SAID, your idea is correct, imo. Even during Yip Man's day, and certainly in wing chun generations before him, there is very little evidence that the art was exposed to any serious and highly skilled opponents trained in western boxing, Muay Thai, wrestling, jiu jitsu, sambo, and of course, the mma of today. Hardly anything to speak of, anyway.

It IS up to us to rewrite the book.

So how about it, wing chun forum? How do you go about rewriting the book?

chusauli
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice stories. I always felt Moy Yat's recording of Yip Man anecdotes and teaching style were good.

Rather than rewriting, how about just adding flesh and skin to the skeleton we're given? But maybe just semantics.

WCK starts from analyzing the structure and making use of that first, then using each tool powered by that. Add in more fighting and training in special circumstances and then we're onto something.

Personally, IMO, all this face to face fighting is incorrect. In WCK, we should be beating someone up from behind. But that's my opinion.

t_niehoff
07-08-2009, 11:29 AM
I agree with you 100%, Victor.

You rewrite the book like any combative athlete does.

Ultimatewingchun
07-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Robert,

Ha! Ambush from behind is the way to go, huh?! :) And yes, any "rewrite" (or whatever we choose to call it) should start with a strong, balanced, body alignment and structure; and if I'm not mistaken, all three forms begin with this in mind - now don't they?! :D And then each tool needs to be powered by the solid structure. Right!

Terence,

Glad we agree on one thing. And there's actually more than one, for I endorse your often-expressed idea about something else, ie.- any "rewrite" has to include constant doses of work against people skilled in other arts. This is clearly true.

couch
07-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Personally, IMO, all this face to face fighting is incorrect. In WCK, we should be beating someone up from behind. But that's my opinion.

Too bad we talk face to face. Gotta find someone who will talk behind his own back. Hmm...

sanjuro_ronin
07-08-2009, 12:53 PM
You rewrite the book like everyone else does, you pressure test, in a controlled environment to start and then in an uncontrolled ( or at least limited controlled) one.
If it require that you modify, you modify, if it requires that you drop something, you drop it.

k gledhill
07-08-2009, 03:33 PM
The end , as it was explained to me recently , is to simply have the capability to use a method that allows a non thinking attack to be delivered as a defensive response to being attacked. the drills enable us to have a natural unthinking fighters ability to adopt and work the concepts and techniques that are designed for its delivery.
The intersection of our arms along our centerline creates an impenetrable rotation line of force unseen, that simply , rebuilds itself automatically if anything tries to stop it ...It works too if you adopt a man sao - vu sao approach, rather than a 2 arms extended doing sticky hands idea :o

Vusao is king ~! :D

chusauli
07-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Hawkins told me that if he were to come to the USA and help Bruce teach in the '70's, the first thing is to throw away Chi Sao...but the problem was, there was no stepping stone for WCK people to jump from knowing nothing to fighting...

22 years ago, for a short while, I threw out Luk Sao from the curriculum and just trained Chi Sao from Bai Jong. Then Hawaii's Robert Young/Yeung Biu had dinner with me and said that its an information gathering training, keep it in the curriculum.

I also wanted to throw out the stupid shifting from Chum Kiu, as I found that useless, until "Three Kings of Chum Kiu" (Ho Kam Ming, Victor Kan, and Hawkins Cheung) showed me how important it was. Hawkins' and Ho Kam Ming's take was to shift the opponent to an unfavorable position like cogs on a gear. It also depended more on screwing into the ground, rather than on top of it.

I also wanted to throw away the forms. For example, the BJD set - I believed it was useless, and that my 4 methods of Dang, Chit, Saat, Sou were better and one could immediately make up their own set from that. Then my students whom I taught the knives to couldn't get the training...

The Jong also made me sick - so fixed and long and rigid - why not just do the darn thing freestyle? But then I found that soon no one could understand anything about training on the Jong...

The pole also had my contempt, until I realized how good it was for me when I grabbed someone and threw them down...

Fighting face to face isn't as good as beating the crap out of someone from behind. What I mean is to start fighting someone face to face, then shift them and pound the crap out of them, and keep yourself there through superior mobility...but then, that wasn't "sporting"...of course, a person has to know how to deal with two hands in front of them first...

Punching and kicking in the air isn't as good as striking a focus mitt, Thai bags or airshields... and holding them is good training for structure and focus. But for really honing and strengthening the body, striking a wallbag is incredibly simple, yet bodybuilding and aerobic, too...

...and so on...

...as I learned and grew, I realized I didn't need a lot of the things, but students needed it and the curriculum to help them. Its all just stepping stones for them to get and feel comfortable. As I grew, I also realized I could draw from the classical source and take what was useful - and it all was useful in one way or another.

People write based on their feeling and experience, but often it may not pertain to others...also people are learning at different rates and levels.

Just my $0.02.

k gledhill
07-08-2009, 06:57 PM
There is a line of thought out there that I picked up by chance...it clarified a lot of the
form questions drills became a clear DRILL and not a 'move' ...A lot of things become redundant to actual VT fighting...

dan chi after a student learns the level treats it as redundant..there is no 1-2 in simple punch.
chisao becomes redundant , in that we dont fight with 2 arms extended in a stance ...

The most important things to remember arent IN the forms but the spoken word, the ideas blended together as consistent idea from start to end....

The dummy serves to simply re-enforce elbows and alignment, facing , shifting at angles.parallel to a moving fight , turning and facing seamlessly a fighter who is simply moving randomly before us ...

Bil gee is for recovering attacking limbs that are grabbed, lifted , also other stepping ideas for facing a line with knives.

the poles shock force to remove objects from , but stay on the line itself...carries over to pak etc... pak comes to the line but does not x it .

bong x es laterally before us , not up and down blocking....

the knives teach a flanking idea to survive by facing 50 % of an equally armed person...survive, using increased distances of fighting so we attack the arms first...

the percentage rule of attacking for 9 out of 10 seconds...can you deliver a sustained unstoppable attack for 5 seconds never mind 10 :D without over reaching , losing balance, punching to close, to far, over turning your elbows, opening up your elbows.
etc... not easy

so we break it down, it is in the break down we can lose sight of a flowing attacking system and make it stagnant forms of pure speculation ....

sanjuro_ronin
07-09-2009, 05:34 AM
Hawkins told me that if he were to come to the USA and help Bruce teach in the '70's, the first thing is to throw away Chi Sao...but the problem was, there was no stepping stone for WCK people to jump from knowing nothing to fighting...

22 years ago, for a short while, I threw out Luk Sao from the curriculum and just trained Chi Sao from Bai Jong. Then Hawaii's Robert Young/Yeung Biu had dinner with me and said that its an information gathering training, keep it in the curriculum.

I also wanted to throw out the stupid shifting from Chum Kiu, as I found that useless, until "Three Kings of Chum Kiu" (Ho Kam Ming, Victor Kan, and Hawkins Cheung) showed me how important it was. Hawkins' and Ho Kam Ming's take was to shift the opponent to an unfavorable position like cogs on a gear. It also depended more on screwing into the ground, rather than on top of it.

I also wanted to throw away the forms. For example, the BJD set - I believed it was useless, and that my 4 methods of Dang, Chit, Saat, Sou were better and one could immediately make up their own set from that. Then my students whom I taught the knives to couldn't get the training...

The Jong also made me sick - so fixed and long and rigid - why not just do the darn thing freestyle? But then I found that soon no one could understand anything about training on the Jong...

The pole also had my contempt, until I realized how good it was for me when I grabbed someone and threw them down...

Fighting face to face isn't as good as beating the crap out of someone from behind. What I mean is to start fighting someone face to face, then shift them and pound the crap out of them, and keep yourself there through superior mobility...but then, that wasn't "sporting"...of course, a person has to know how to deal with two hands in front of them first...

Punching and kicking in the air isn't as good as striking a focus mitt, Thai bags or airshields... and holding them is good training for structure and focus. But for really honing and strengthening the body, striking a wallbag is incredibly simple, yet bodybuilding and aerobic, too...

...and so on...

...as I learned and grew, I realized I didn't need a lot of the things, but students needed it and the curriculum to help them. Its all just stepping stones for them to get and feel comfortable. As I grew, I also realized I could draw from the classical source and take what was useful - and it all was useful in one way or another.

People write based on their feeling and experience, but often it may not pertain to others...also people are learning at different rates and levels.

Just my $0.02.

All very valid points Robert, I may not agree on all of them, but still valid.

-木叶-
07-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Remember to rewrite the book without losing the essence...

chusauli
07-09-2009, 09:25 AM
All very valid points Robert, I may not agree on all of them, but still valid.

Well, these are things I grappled with over the years, valid or not, these were problems I had and they were real to me.

These days, I only have the system for my students. For me, I train various aspects to keep sharp today and have daily practice to maintain my energy/health/skills.

In retrospect, I couldn't understand WCK the way it was first taught to me, so I had to relearn it and get different lessons from seniors. This was like the medieval system of apprentice becoming a journeyman, and finally a craftsmaster.

The teachings and the needs of students showed me why there were aspects to the system that needed to be taught, despite the fact if I liked it or not. In this way, I was able to gleen knowledge and rewrite my own textbook for me.

We all start with some sort of system - this is "traditional" base. We are still "in the system".

Then we make our mistakes and question, even question what we were taught...and try to learn more. My anecdotes from 20 plus years ago reflected that. We emerge "out of the system" here.

Finally, we make the knowledge our own and transcend system and teachings. We pass on our teachings and it becomes "traditional" for the next generation. The students eventually begin their own apprenticeship, journeyman route and become their own craftsmaster.

This is natural and evolution for the martial arts process.

Ultimatewingchun
07-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I see a parallel with what Robert has been saying and the paths I've taken in my own wing chun journey, although particulars will vary from those that Robert reported. I'll start with this quote from Robert, because it rang a bell for me.

"In retrospect, I couldn't understand WCK the way it was first taught to me, so I had to relearn it and get different lessons from seniors. This was like the medieval system of apprentice becoming a journeyman,..."

***I had a similar experience training for 8 years under Moy Yat, and in my 5th year I began experimenting with Bruce Lee's JKD with one of my sihings privately - at which point I began to understand more about how to implement Moy Yat's VT beyond the basic angle-slightly-but-mainly-go-straight ahead strategy, constantly try to attack and pressure his center, and throw lots of punches while looking for opportunites to use things like pak da, lop da, a low heel kick here-and-there, etc.

Interesting, and could (and did) work against some people - but far from where I wanted to go, because the limitations became more and more apparent as time went on. Especially the footwork limitations, I was very contemptuous of that. And Bruce Lee's broken rhythm, and in general, his more free-flowing boxing type footwork helped in this regard, along with his use of longer range sidekicks, roundhouse kicks, etc...and his use of longer range boxing type leads, his willingness to go outside the box, ie.- round punches, etc....these things started to give me a clearer idea about how to make the VT more functional - if in a sense, "rewritten."

I was trying to use Bruce Lee's ideas while attempting to adapt VT to the longer range, ie.- rewritting the VT)...and then tried to play the VT game more directly and conventionally once I got to close range.

But when William Cheung went public here in the U.S. with TWC, and I saw his footwork and his applications, blindside strategies, entry, and his version of the forms, chi sao, drills, wooden dummy, etc....in much greater detail than what can be gleaned from attending a seminar-or-two, ie.- I've spent many years training under William...with this, I began to see much more about how to use wing chun in general...and then, as time went on, how to integrate the VT and the TWC...

and now I believe I'm seeing even more about how to use both wing chun systems after I've gotten into crosstraining with catch wrestling for clinch and ground (with a dose of Muay Thai clinch work using knees and elbows)...and boxing hands and long range kicking for outside the typical wing chun range. (Although to some extent longer range kicks have always been a part of TWC).

I'm seeing more about how to use wing chun - including seeing the need to go beyond it. Rewritting the book for me now means combining the "book" with other books (ie.- other arts).

sanjuro_ronin
07-10-2009, 06:08 AM
Well, these are things I grappled with over the years, valid or not, these were problems I had and they were real to me.

These days, I only have the system for my students. For me, I train various aspects to keep sharp today and have daily practice to maintain my energy/health/skills.

In retrospect, I couldn't understand WCK the way it was first taught to me, so I had to relearn it and get different lessons from seniors. This was like the medieval system of apprentice becoming a journeyman, and finally a craftsmaster.

The teachings and the needs of students showed me why there were aspects to the system that needed to be taught, despite the fact if I liked it or not. In this way, I was able to gleen knowledge and rewrite my own textbook for me.

We all start with some sort of system - this is "traditional" base. We are still "in the system".

Then we make our mistakes and question, even question what we were taught...and try to learn more. My anecdotes from 20 plus years ago reflected that. We emerge "out of the system" here.

Finally, we make the knowledge our own and transcend system and teachings. We pass on our teachings and it becomes "traditional" for the next generation. The students eventually begin their own apprenticeship, journeyman route and become their own craftsmaster.

This is natural and evolution for the martial arts process.

Very well said, I know that for my part, I would never train any student in what I do and how I do it, it would be a typical "textbook" training, though with far less "fluff".

Ultimatewingchun
07-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I agree. This post from Robert really hits the nail on the head.

Ultimatewingchun
07-10-2009, 12:30 PM
"Hawkins told me that if he were to come to the USA and help Bruce teach in the '70's, the first thing is to throw away Chi Sao...but the problem was, there was no stepping stone for WCK people to jump from knowing nothing to fighting..." (Robert Chu)

***CHI SAO training can (and has) been a dilemma for wing chun people for some time now, imo, whether it's recognized as such or not. And the biggest reason why I did the chi sao vid series
1-13 on youtube is that I want some of my students who can't get to class much anymore (do to geography or what have you)...to have a clear and sequential reference point with chi sao training that they can refer back to as needed.

And what I find myself doing now when these guys do occasionally get to class is to spend some time doing just one or two segments covered on the vids and then get into some all out sparring - perhaps even to return to some chi sao for a few minutes later on in the class if something came up in the sparring that could have come out better if a certain basic mistake wasn't made (or something omitted)...a mistake that could have been avoided or an omission that could have been a difference maker...related to some concept or technique that's learned in chi sao.

I view this as part of "rewriting" the book about how to teach chi sao, and how to use what's covered in chi sao in actual fighting/sparring - in effect translating the drill/training method known as chi sao into real life application.

Vajramusti
07-10-2009, 01:59 PM
I might fail the art but it hasn't failed me yet.

joy chaudhuri

Ultimatewingchun
07-10-2009, 02:08 PM
Not surprised by this post. The underlyiing assumption being that if you're rewriting the book in some way or another you clearly failed to grasp Yip Man's (or fill in the blank with some other name from wing chun)...teachings.

He (they) didn't "fail" you - you failed to see (or learn) what's there in the first place.

And the assumption is so broad and so sweeping that it can't be taken seriously, because by now there are quite a few people in the wing chun world who have spent many years with this (and who did learn quite a bit in the first place)...

who are coming to the same conclusions: You have to rewrite the wing chun book to some extent or another in order to be viable within today's martial/fighting arts world.

Vajramusti
07-10-2009, 02:53 PM
[QUOTE=Ultimatewingchun;946633]Not surprised by this post. ......
And the assumption is so broad and so sweeping that it can't be taken seriously, because by now there are quite a few people in the wing chun world who have spent many years with this (and who did learn quite a bit in the first place)...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am NOT surprised by Victor's rejoinder and wish him well. "quite a few people in the wing chun world...""-perhaps but not all. It is not a matter of dogma...if one experiments with a subject- you
can find out things that works when properly done and figure out why something doesn't... problem in the model? Problem in operational understanding? In wrong implication or inference?
Insufficient practice?Wrong practice? Error in transmission or understanding?This is still at least in label a wing chun chat list
not a mma list--- nothing wrong with mma or other martial sports, I enjoy them too!!

Good wing chun can keep evolving and it has and hopefully will continue.Doing wing chun is not necessarily about popularity or what will sell.

Individuation in an art will and should take place... but replacing a paradigm takes some genius-
they are not easy to come by-- though meanings of words like genius are often easily corrupted. Ip Man was indeed IMO a martial arts genius . Unfortunately he was not always generous with what he knew.

Since apparently some folks are interested in rewriting, I thought I would put my two cents in. I for one keep discovering things in wing chun as a style all the time at least often enough to hold on humbly to admiration for those greats who developed the art including Ip man.

joy chaudhuri

Ultimatewingchun
07-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Constantly discovering things within wing chun, and engaging in one's own individuation - whether you are some sort of genius or not - does not mean that you can't remain the admirer of those who formulated the system in the first place. Or those who taught you the system.

Speaking from my own perspective, the fact that I find myself "rewriting" parts of the wing chun book often - doesn't mean that I've simply thrown the "old" book away. The forms, the basic wing chun concepts and principles, the chi sao, the footwork, drills, kicking patterns, punching patterns, wooden dummy, dragon pole and butterfly swords I've learned from my two instructors haven't simply been discarded. I always keep the "original versions", if you will, as reference material.

And constantly refer back to them.

But I also find it necessary to experiment with what's in those "old books" - even if it means occasionally going against various sentences, paragraphs, or perhaps even a whole chapter. And even if it means occasionally attempting to write a new chapter or two myself. And then test them out - and if I find them lacking, I might throw them out as well. Or attempt another rewrite.

Or just go look at the reference book again for something I may have missed.

But mostly it's subtraction by addition: by adding certain elements from other fighting systems, I'm eliminating certain ideas, or concepts, or strategies, or techniques that don't make much sense when up against some other systems - as those systems (or hybrids) are being used today.

And today is the key word....

until tomorrow.

Vajramusti
07-10-2009, 08:57 PM
Good luck with your "re-write"- no sarcasm intended.
I just responded with one perspective on the question posed at the beginning of the thread.
If I thought that there was a better path I would follow it. Other's experiences can vary.

joy chaudhuri

Ultimatewingchun
07-11-2009, 08:50 PM
imo, if we don't collectively "rewrite" the way we go about passing the art on. For example, Yip Man was notoriously famous for showing only this much to A, that much to B, a smattering here to C, very little to D, perhaps quite a bit to E, basically nothing to F...and even misleading some people about the efficacy and efficiency of what they "thought" they were doing and learning.

For example, here's another story (or stories) I heard several times from Moy Yat about Yip Man. The jist of it is that when students who Yip Man didn't particularly like (and/or who he had very little patience for, for whatever reason)...asked Yip man about a certain technique or whatever...

and even if they were clearly doing it wrong, according to Moy Yat, Yip Man would nonetheless simply respond, "Yes, that's it" - and then walk away. Or he wouldn't answer at all. And sometimes even then go and joke about that person with some of his other students.

And the secrecy in general surrounding not only Yip Mans' but other lineages of wing chun is also well known. And I experienced this first hand with Moy Yat over an 8 year period, because sometimes learning from Moy Yat was like pulling teeth at the dentist - meaning that quite often he just didn't want to - and wouldn't - do it. You had to be close to him to learn more than just the bare essentials directly from him. Maybe.

And he always prided himself on running his kwoons the way Yip Man ran his, although I am told that he lightened up a bit in this regard as the years went on (after I left to study with William Cheung).

I'm not revealing these things because I'm trying to single out certain people for negative scrutiny. Not at all. Because the truth is, this has been the case for many wing chun people throughout various lineages, some of whom still engage in this kind of secrecy and favoritism to this day.

BUT THERE'S A BIG PROBLEM WITH THIS WHOLE APPROACH TO WING CHUN KUNG FU.

And a problem made all the more difficult because the system is so concept based; and therefore, not only is there the problem of things getting lost, but many people - in relation to the total number of people having actually studied the art - can wind up having very little idea about how to use the art in actual combat.

The present generation(s) need to do something about this, individually and collectively, imo. Perhaps this is even one of the essential meanings and purposes of having forums like this.

Thoughts?

Vajramusti
07-12-2009, 08:44 AM
" Wing Chun Kung Fu will be lost...
imo, if we don't collectively "rewrite" the way we go about passing the art on. For example, Yip Man was notoriously famous for showing only this much to A, that much to B, a smattering here to C, very little to D, perhaps quite a bit to E, basically nothing to F...and even misleading some people about the efficacy and efficiency of what they "thought" they were doing and learning."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes and no.

A partial response: I don't think that wing chun will be lost- despite the prevalence of junk food-
decent food is still available though people have to hunt for it and make changes in their habits.

Kung fu in China grew up in China in a different environment and in a different teaching environment. It takes some wisdom to transplant what is good about the art in an even more
money oriented and mass production culture. But it is possible and is happening here and there.

Ip man needed to survive economically after getting out of the PRC. True- he was selective about what he taught and to whom he taught the art. And the bad xeroxing made worse copies
in their transmissions.

But the creation of organizations with a large list of schools IMO contributed to the fast food syndrome and the watering down of the art. And. the sarcasm and ego driven comments, snide anonymous remarks, trolling that is heightened by net discussions furthers the dilution of the art.

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness and have some reasonable discussions among folks from different versions of Ip Man wing chun...as a start. A collective rewrite rightaway is not really possible -because claims to the contrary we are not a community-most threads are testaments to that.

joy chaudhuri

Ultimatewingchun
07-12-2009, 10:43 AM
"...the creation of organizations with a large list of schools IMO contributed to the fast food syndrome and the watering down of the art. And the sarcasm and ego driven comments, snide anonymous remarks, trolling that is heightened by net discussions furthers the dilution of the art.

Light a candle rather than curse the darkness and have some reasonable discussions among folks from different versions of Ip Man wing chun...as a start. A collective rewrite rightaway is not really possible -because claims to the contrary we are not a community-most threads are testaments to that." (joy chaudhuri)

***THIS is a good post, as it hits some problems and some possible solutions squarely. I agree that large organizations often produce less-than-stellar instructors and students, and the art can easily get watered down in the process. The upside is, however, that there have been a certain percentage of people within these organizations (however small) who seem to have learned the system they were taught thoroughly, and have been passing it on within schools of their own.

As to "rewrites", well individuals doing this is a given - for there are those engaging in the process. Collectively is a much harder process because egos invariably get in the way, and is a big reason why I, for one, have advocated occasional wing chun sparring tournaments. It all comes out in the wash: if you can spar with it and do well, you're probably doing something right. If you can't, then there's probably something very wrong (or missing) in your curriculum and training methods.

sihing
07-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Joy is right. Large organizations, with the mantra "More is better", is the reason why WC as a whole as been lacking in allot of areas. Money is the motivating factor in larger organizations, and the need of the people to be a part of something larger than themselves (a false need). I feel into this trap a couple of times in my Martial Arts life, and hopefully have learned the lesson.

Grass roots, small groups is the way to go. That is why I like the people that I am associated with now, memebership is not just given but is priveledged to those that are accepted, but it is a free association and none of us are bound by any rules or regulations, bowing down rituals to some phony leader or group or anything like that. Just true training, learning, research and sharing, which is the way it should be IMO.

James

Ultimatewingchun
07-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Both paths have their problems. The problems with large organizations have been noted; but here's the problem with small grass roots groups: they're too underground - as things stand now - and the teachings they impart can easily get lost as time goes on because there are very few people involved.

Don't believe that? Take a look at JKD. Very few people were really trained in it originally, and it's a "style" (even though Bruce Lee would have hated the word) that's now struggling to carry on.

The bigger question is not, imo, to small group?...or to big group? - it's whether or not to compete in the "open market" - like what Alan Orr is doing with his group. Technically, you could say that he's from a small grass roots group (stemming from Robert Chu)...but other larger organizations could do the same thing - if they wanted to.

Bad for business ($) if they don't do well in competition? Well yeah, perhaps, but the real issue is the venue itself. Lots of larger groups have done well entering some of their guys in small, lots-of-rules-and-regs competitions (very small and very local)...which is fine, as far as it goes. Good experience in limited venues can be a stepping stone to larger and more style inclusive venues with less-and-less rules, regs, protective gear, etc.

"Rewriting" the book, imo, therefore will also require competition against people from other arts in a serious venue, for then what works in the existing book and what doesn't work gets clearer.

To repeat some things said much earlier:

It's important to learn the forms, drills, chi sao, etc. - and it's important to get grounded in certain applications of what's in the forms, drills, chi sao, wooden dummy, etc...and to periodically return to these things - but it all comes out in the sparring.

For in the end, it's the sparring/fighting that determines how the techniques will come out, which techniques, and when. What strategies, and when. Which concepts/principles to use most, and when. And the final product may seriously surprise you.

chusauli
07-13-2009, 09:12 AM
I've been following this and I think Yip Man taught a certain way because he probably did not care for some students, and if they actually worked their WCK, they would find out the answers for themselves.

In beginning phases, one learns and depends on one's sifu for guidance. But as one grows, one becomes aware of their needs and has a spark of wisdom to know what they need. Teaching vary from teacher to teacher, not all can learn from a teaching when it is first presented. People learn with various modalities of hearing, feeling, seeing, etc. Not everyone is tuned in the same way.

In many, the base textbook is incorrect, you have to look up different sources. For example, the Japanese history books say the Japanese were pulled into Manchuria and China during the Sino-Japanese War; they needed to bring in their war machine to bring peace to China. When we cross reference with others' history, we can see that the Japanese were truly the aggressors. This is simply scholarship.

A good friend of mine Bai Si'd to Yip Man, but Yip didn't like him, so he got his information from Lok Yiu instead. Bruce got more from WSL and William Cheung than Yip Man. Hawkins got a lot from Ho Kam Ming and WSL, but also had his time with Yip Man. Each person had to learn and relearn information.