PDA

View Full Version : Break

GeneChing
07-07-2009, 04:20 PM
Break is our latest sweepstakes. (http://www.kungfumagazine.net/index.html) Contest ends 6:00 p.m. PST on 7/21/09. Good luck everyone. Xin Wuku is featured in our current issue, Jul/Aug 2009, (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=824) in Tina Turner's Ninjas By Sue Woo

From their press release:

Featuring an ensemble cast of comic book style characters including veteran actors Michael Madsen (Reservoir Dogs, Free Willy) and David Carradine (Kill Bill), BREAK shares the seedy, urban underworld of Frank (Frank Krueger), a detached hit man hired by the city’s crime boss to carry out his dying wish. In this stylistic noir drama about an introverted hit man, Frank, who is contracted to carry out an unusual job. When the city’s crime boss, known only as The Man (Chad Everett), discovers that he’s terminally ill, he enlists Frank to carry out his own assassination. The Man, selfish and jealous, doesn’t want to die alone and makes it clear to Frank that he must also take out the woman he loves. When Frank discovers that The Woman (Sarah Thompson) is his own long lost lover, Frank alters the job making himself the next mark. Riddled with dark humor and visual spectacle, an action-packed chain of events ensue as Frank and The Woman take on the enemies set out before them while attempting to free themselves from The Man’s jealous grip.

Xin Sarith Wuku (www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2kJZOfq7zk), a.k.a. the “Urban Ninja” has become an overnight phenomenon after guerilla films of him accomplishing incredible live stunts made their way onto the video sharing website YouTube in 2006. Since then martial arts superstar Xin has garnered a global following for his work. In early 2008, Xin will also co-star in Jackie Chan’s new reality television series The Disciple.

Frank Krueger made his mark playing recurring roles on many of today’s most popular soaps. Recently Frank has garnered critical acclaim for his supporting role in Odyssey Motion Pictures’ dark comedy The Pink Conspiracy and has a very successful web series called Man Versus, which he produces and stars in.

Marc Clebanoff (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1275164/), a graduate of the prestigious USC School of Cinema/Television, began his career at 20th Century Fox Television before moving onto a feature development position at USA Films (now Focus Features) under the award winning director of Nurse Betty and In the Company of Men Neil Labute. In 1999 Clebanoff established his own company, Marathon Films, in which he developed several feature projects with Hollywood bad-boy actor Michael Madsen, and cult filmmaker Larry Bishop (son of Rat Pack comedian Joey Bishop). In 2004 Clebanoff renamed his company Odyssey Motion Pictures to make his feature directorial debut with Unspoken - a dark drama starring Justin Allen and William Sadler, which earned Best Screenplay and Best Feature Film nominations at various festivals throughout 2006. Also in 2006, Clebanoff wrote, produced and co-directed the award-winning dark comedy feature The Pink Conspiracy, which enjoyed its world premiere at the Cannes Film Market in May of 2007 and will be released in select theaters in September of 2008.
Clebanoff recently finished consulting for Quentin Tarantino’s indie motorcycle flick Hell Ride, which premiered at Sundance in 2008. Clebanoff’s current feature project, Break, is a star-studded, multiple award-winning dramatic action film, which is currently traveling the international festival circuit and will be released worldwide on DVD early in 2009. In addition, Clebanoff recently finished directing the dark comedy feature film Gerald, which will also be released in 2009. Clebanoff is also set to direct the new Goodfellas follow-up film The Cigar Game in 2008.
Clebanoff holds a 2nd degree black belt in traditional Korean martial arts and is an avid distance runner and accomplished marathoner. He is also the grandson of world-renowned musician and composer, Herman Clebanoff.

Lucas
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
my fingers are crossed

:p

GeneChing
07-20-2009, 11:52 AM
There's a cameo of Carradine, one of his final performances, as this eccentric weapons dealer. He appears in a silky robe ala Caine surrounded by contortionists, topless doms and a kinky bald dwarf. Given the nefarious way that Carradine checked out (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54141), it's a very bizarre epitaph. If you are in anyway interested in the legacy of Carradine, whether as a fan, or just due to some morbid fascination, you've just got to see this scene.

Our contest ends tomorrow.

Lucas
07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
im the only one that entered....RIGHT!?!

doug maverick
07-20-2009, 01:50 PM
nope.......i just entered sucker....................

Lucas
07-20-2009, 02:07 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

;)

good luck.

GeneChing
07-22-2009, 04:44 PM
I think you won. (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?p=948768) Most of the entries got the question wrong. Lucky you.

This is a funny one to win, almost a booby prize. It's all about that Carradine scene. I'll be eager to read your review here after you receive it. They'll ship sometime this week probably.

Lucas
07-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Lucky me. ;)

Thanks for the prize! I'm looking forward to checking it out, I'll definately put my thoughts up as soon as I catch it.

The challenge question for the new sweepstakes is too easy! :D

GeneChing
07-22-2009, 06:11 PM
I felt bad about that last one being so hard. Those questions aren't really meant to be hard. They're really only there as a spambot filter. We used to get so much spam from that before we started the questions. I'm talking like 300-400 a week. It was insane. We still get answers like "pet's name" or "mother's maiden name" regularly. There are social networks that forward our sweepstakes to all kinds of people, so I always try to set up the question as something that would be easy for a martial arts fan, but challenging for a non-fan.

Ultimately, it's easy enough to google the answers, but I figure if they put that much effort into it, they deserve the chance. At least it stops the spambots.

Lucas
07-22-2009, 06:32 PM
you mean we're allowed to google the answer :eek:

i was sure there was a northwestern spam god that made sure we were answering strictly with known information....this changes...everything..

Lucas
08-10-2009, 10:40 AM
Watched BREAK this weekend.

Gene NAILED it. It's all about the Carradine scene. Actually, the movie is worth watching JUST to see that scene. Completely unexpected. But, for some reason, not a total suprise.

Over all review:

The story was predictable and dull. :o The acting was off and on. Some cheese there as well as some solid scenes. It's definately the lead rolls that carry this flick. The action sequences, for the most part, was sparse and poor. Things did pick up a bit in the action section when Xin Sarith Wuku got on scene. His action was good, the direction could have gone a bit better though. The final fight scene between him and the main character started off decent, Xin has a good film presence.

I'm glad I own this movie simply for the D.C. scene. Ill watch it again just to see that scene.