PDA

View Full Version : Unique additions of your WC Lineage(s)?

AdrianK
07-10-2009, 11:12 PM
Alright, so theres about a gajillion WC lineages out there. Yuen Kay San, Yip Man, Gulao, and even within Yip Man's lineage itself you've got things like "Traditional Wing Chun" and such.

Different lineage or not, many teachers have something unique they've added or changed - Whether it be a technique, a concept, a way of training, a way of looking at things, or whatever.

So, what are some of the unique aspects you've found, and where did they come from?

TWC for instance, the footwork they train is fairly different.

Ultimatewingchun
07-11-2009, 12:38 AM
Yes, there's some footwork in TWC that is not found in other Yip Man lineages, undoubtedly. Such as the full side step. And the use of the side body position (neutral side stance) as the main stance to fight out of is not found in other Yip Man lineages. Where do these things come from? We may never know. And the blindside strategy used in Traditional Wing Chun - well it isn't exactly unique to the TWC system - but certainly the major emphasis put upon obtaining the two-arms-vs-one arm that the attack on the blindside is meant to produce (a "way of training", as you put it)...is somewhat unique to TWC, I suppose. And the Entry Technique as a way of closing the gap is not found in other Yip Man lineages. Some other footwork as well. And the concept of the central line is also not really found in other Yip Man lineages, ie.- block on your main centerline while hitting back with your other arm coming from your shoulder line, for example.

Vajramusti
07-11-2009, 07:40 AM
http://www.fongswingchun.com/home.html

Check specially the curriculum section and the dictionary of terms. Also. has an extensive list of kuen kuit that has been absorbed onto the literature...in print and on the net.

Fundamental principles- source? Analysis as well as transmission from Ip man to Ho Kam Ming and in turn to Sifu Augustine Fong of Tucson.

Further development? Sources- years of teaching, analysis and experience.

Continuous development beyond what appeared in web site and books and videos. Regular seminars in Tucson with instruction and hand outs.
Rather than saying what others don't have, I thought that the above listing might serve as a self evidentiary pointer in responding to the question..

Note- I don't speak for the lineage but for my own understanding and there are sihings whose understanding and experience are better than mine..

joy chaudhuri

couch
07-11-2009, 04:14 PM
Keeping it positive:

From my own Moy Yat lineage, it was in terms of training without a method. A seemingly fragmented way of learning in order to create an organic learning experience / to not create robots.

From the WSL lineage, I've picked up the idea of a cutting punch, a more attacking/aggressive approach, linking the hip to the elbow and what I call micro-angling footwork.

From Mainland/Hei Ban lineage, I've picked up making Wing Chun my own. Move first and don't believe the hands will always save you. I've learned to be okay with graying the lines as to what is Wing Chun/what isn't Wing Chun as well as learning to make things more functional.

While these may not all be techniques, the people I've been in contact with have influenced me to grow - not only in technique, but approach.

Keep it going...

sihing
07-11-2009, 04:40 PM
So many things to mention:

From TWC, the things Victor mentioned, which IMO are more about principles than techniques, but TWC is full of technique, and versitile movement. Avoiding pressure and using position as an advantage, punching fast and in combination.

From WSL VT, I've learned body mechanics, how to bring about power and connection throughout my whole body, and to move as one or as a fragmented whole. I've learned to root and to be stable (like Alan Orr's approach), while also learning to be evasive and to not connect with someone elses power or control. How to bring about all my bodily power and focus it thru the elbow in all my strikes or upper body movements. How to aim my tools instinctively. People talk all the time about attacking centerline and COM, but if your aim is off, you will not be able to instinctively do this without thought. Lat Sau Jik Chung - spring like energy, expanding/contracting ability and movement in my arms and body. I've learned that the forms provide more information and training than what is generally known, there so much there books and tapes don't do them justice and most won't put the time or effort in to understand. I've learned to be Simple, Direct and Effective in my thoughts and motions during combat, and so much more. That WC is not meant for the masses.

From Gary Lam VT, the idea of control and feeling. Gary, although he trained extensively with WSL, has his own way and method. He got very good at hitting off the first shot, taking people out fast, so he developed other more sophisticated methods to develop control and feeling in one's Martia Art, and working off 2nd or 3rd timing. To him, hitting and KO'g people was easy, but can you control them thru instinctive feeling and useage. I have level 1 certification in his system, but mostly concentrate on WSL VT thru Ernie's approach. I like the poi pai training Gary teaches as this can teach one about moving structure within the body, and to go thru someone else's structure. Gary's 5 systems of Wing Chun, 1)Crossing Hands- Hitting, Striking, trapping, crossing someone's bridge to attack (what he says 90% of all the other WC is about), 2)Pushing- Poi pai and helping actions to create space or take facing away from opponent, also helps in training moving stance and structure, 3) Pulling-another helping action, using one's force against them, taking facing away, etc.., 4)Footwork- kicks and setting up positions, Gary has 5 angles of attack, 0, 45, 60, 90, & 120 deg fighting, all about how you are lined up with opponent, each angle offers different strategies and tactics, e.g. 45 deg is optimum for hitting, 90 deg for takedowns and standing grappling, etc. 5) Closing - standing grappling applications, takedowns and finishing off the opponent. Much more to mention, not enough time to do that.

In the end, TWC taught me technique and how to change my natural fighting method. WSL/GL VT taught me to fight naturally, with the help of the training I have under my belt, with the hope that it has changed in a positive/effective way how I apply my tools in combat.

James