PDA

View Full Version : "Thought" In fighting.

AdrianK
07-12-2009, 11:55 PM
What are your experiences during fighting, when it comes to thoughts and anything going through your head?

Do you block everything out? Are you trying to tell yourself to calm down? Are you thinking about anything?

And please, be honest. We all know everyone on the internets are 6 foot tall, muscular UFC title holders :D

-木叶-
07-13-2009, 01:09 AM
Breathe, no openings for them, look for openings, Breathe

When i get hit, try not to get bewildered and get back to stance,
if the blows are many, try to shield and hit back when the chance comes.

When i score a hit, followup. I dont know about others but in the beginning when
you score a hit to your opponent, you tend to stop hitting.

But it depends, during friendly sparring, i mostly dont follow up, ooops

The best is the opponent does something to you which is often done during
training, then without thinking the reaction is applied.

There are many scenarious but mostly is that.

stonecrusher69
07-13-2009, 06:20 AM
What are your experiences during fighting, when it comes to thoughts and anything going through your head?

Do you block everything out? Are you trying to tell yourself to calm down? Are you thinking about anything?

And please, be honest. We all know everyone on the internets are 6 foot tall, muscular UFC title holders :D

Good question..I have to ask you first what do you mean by fighting? If you mean sparring that is not fighting. But to answer your question I don't think of anything,and my thoughts any emotions are relaxed and empty.

punchdrunk
07-13-2009, 01:01 PM
thoughts change very quickly, like the eyes constantly scanning to see what's going on around and what might come next. I know that's a very general answer but other than that it changes quite a bit with the situation, I found that if my mind stuck too much on any thought my actions would "freeze" as well. But definately don't block everything out, instead focus on observation and pre emptive actions.

monji112000
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
don't think. its the worst habit you could do.. just empty your mind and react.
JMO that's from my experience.

AdrianK
07-13-2009, 01:18 PM
Good question..I have to ask you first what do you mean by fighting? If you mean sparring that is not fighting. But to answer your question I don't think of anything,and my thoughts any emotions are relaxed and empty.

By fighting I mean actually fighting, in the ring, octagon, or on the street, not sparring. I have an easy time sparring and not thinking about anything.

My personal experiences have usually been that I tend to involuntarily think about things, but they don't seem to have any direct effect on what I'm doing. Its almost as if my thoughts are disconnected from my body, and my body is just doing what its been trained to do. The first time I entered a smoker for boxing, some years ago for instance, getting hit the first few times in that enviornment made the thought of "I'm getting hit in front of all of these people, I need to hit back", or when I saw he was getting tired and dropped his hands and my body was already in the process of attacking, at a completely different pace the thought of "He left himself open, attack now" went through my head.

A lot of it might have been the pressure of so many people watching, the fatigue, or even getting hit a couple of times. I haven't ever had that same kind of experience in a street fight, which is strange to me.

don't think. its the worst habit you could do.. just empty your mind and react.
JMO that's from my experience.

Its what I hear, "No mind" and such, but there are plenty of amazing professional athletes in MMA and Boxing that have plenty to say about what they were thinking, during a fight.

Getting your brain knocked around generally produces some interesting experiences :D

stonecrusher69
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM
That is good if you can separate your thoughts from your body. I think your just nervous performing based on what you said in your last post.

Phil Redmond
07-13-2009, 04:49 PM

Fighting is one thing. There are so many variables. I'd like to know what the people who are competing have to say.

Hendrik
07-13-2009, 05:07 PM
There is a different between Thinking and Intending.

Thinking is similar to using the mind to calculate /solving a math problem.

Intending is similar to comman moving one's finger.

Within Silence or Full awareness state one could focus to Thinking or Intending.

The issue is most people dont recognized what is Silence; but thinking one always have to either think or supress thinking ( make the mind blank), no other choice.

For example, most people think, either it is White blank Photo (forcing blank mind) or a colorfull picture with one hold on to that picture as long as possible to be correct. (heavy thinking mind)

Silence is similar to a moving picture TV screen which is keep refresh it self and keep flowing (non attached)

So, if one could surrender the Thought Or that Hold on, one will be able to enter to the Silence and know what is flow or non attachment or silence without get lost in the hold on or attached.

It is from this non attachment state that one makes the Intend.

IE. the kuen kuit said, Comes accept, goes return, using silence to lead action.

So, within the Silence, one makes an intention of comes accepts.

So, if one think instead of intending one will be hold on to the thought or loop in the thoughts and lost the real time.

Thus, one needs to get into the Silence and Intending. Not thinking for thinking mean one will turn into "stone."

Dont tell yourselves to calm down for that cause your mind to be confused or suppressing the flow.

Tell yourself, I know a part of me is restless and another part of me is trying to calm the restless part down. and I let them to take as long as they need to be there.

Say a prayer without paying attention to -- the Not calm or the thoughts of needs to calm down or do something to come down . The mind will come down. because you dont keep thinking. The mind cannot come down if you keep thinking you want to come down.

To solve a restless mind is to not want to know the answer but surrender. That way the mind quiet down and non attached. iF you keep thinking for a solution, 1, you become attach 2, you dig a hole into that thinking. 3, still it would not give you an answer. That is because there is no answer in thinking on how to quiet the mind. it is about let go and let God, not about thinking.

SLT 101 - enter into silence before the SLT started.

Phil Redmond
07-13-2009, 06:39 PM
There is a different between Thinking and Intending.

Thinking is similar to using the mind to calculate /solving a math problem.

Intending is similar to comman moving one's finger. . . . . . .

I hear lots about theory. How many of the theoreticians compete to test their theories?

Hendrik
07-13-2009, 07:03 PM
I hear lots about theory. How many of the theoreticians compete to test their theories?

It is not theory but a capability from training.

AdrianK
07-13-2009, 07:27 PM
It is not theory but a capability from training.

Can't completely test a theory about fighting without actually fighting...

Xiao3 Meng4
07-13-2009, 08:50 PM
Hit Grab Hit

Grab Hit Grab

Repeat.

Hendrik
07-13-2009, 09:30 PM
Can't completely test a theory about fighting without actually fighting...

Sure,
That is how human mind think.

AdrianK
07-13-2009, 09:35 PM
Sure,
That is how human mind think.

I guess the robot mind would say you could do it in the matrix :D

Hendrik
07-13-2009, 09:46 PM
I guess the robot mind would say you could do it in the matrix :D

have you ever confront a person who is having a laser penetrating attitude and also who is both calm and quiet? and you know he is going to just do it takes you out.

What do you think he thinks?

and what do you think when you face one like that?

monji112000
07-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Fighting is one thing. There are so many variables. I'd like to know what the people who are competing have to say.

Every MMA fighter, Judo and BJJ competitor who I have asked has said don't think. I talk to swat guys, they say the same thing. You have built sets of reactions already, just let go and react.

Phil Redmond
07-14-2009, 07:38 PM
Every MMA fighter, Judo and BJJ competitor who I have asked has said don't think. I talk to swat guys, they say the same thing. You have built sets of reactions already, just let go and react.
Two tours in Vietnam taught me the same thing. ;)

anerlich
07-14-2009, 10:59 PM
have you ever confront a person who is having a laser penetrating attitude and also who is both calm and quiet? and you know he is going to just do it takes you out.

Have you? Obviously not, since you're still here and posting at length.