PDA

View Full Version : Dan Henderson vs Bisping -- how would you handle Henderson?

Pacman
07-13-2009, 09:42 AM
For those who saw the fight, what do you guys think of Henderson's standup fighting technique? How would you have handled Henderson?

lkfmdc
07-13-2009, 09:48 AM
for one, circle AWAY not INTO Henderson's only weapon, his right hand

Pacman
07-13-2009, 10:07 AM
my thoughts exactly!!!!

i dont know why bisping kept doing that. i thought he was a smart fighter. its obvious that hendersons only technique is jab jab and then throw a huge over committed right bomb (many times he doesnt even look at where hes hitting)

i would circle to his other hand...he cant hit you if you are on his outside left

monji112000
07-13-2009, 11:58 AM

wait.. this is the WC section your supposed to just rush in guns blazing chain punching. ;)
(sorry it was moved from the WC section my joke isn't so funny anymore)

taai gihk yahn
07-13-2009, 12:28 PM

yeah, what was up w/that? I mean, in general, his footwork was just absurd - a lot of random movement w/no rhyme or reason to it, and no awareness per se that Henderson was pretty much just trying to set him up for the right (and when I say setting up, I mean as in sending him e-mails, texts, PM's, leaving VM's, renting out billboards, dragging signs behind bi-planes, making announcements over air-raid warning speakers, utilizing the federal emergency broadcast system, etc.)

sanjuro_ronin
07-13-2009, 12:30 PM
Obviously none of you are familiar with the ancient shoalin technoque of repetitive face striking the opponents fist in order to activate all those Dim Mak points in the fist that cause sever paralysis and explosive diarehha.

taai gihk yahn
07-13-2009, 12:42 PM
Obviously none of you are familiar with the ancient shoalin technoque of repetitive face striking the opponents fist in order to activate all those Dim Mak points in the fist that cause sever paralysis and explosive diarehha.

it's true - I heard Henderson was immobile on the can for like 3 hours straight the next day!

sanjuro_ronin
07-13-2009, 12:48 PM
it's true - I heard Henderson was immobile on the can for like 3 hours straight the next day!

Ah yes, the Delayed Crap Touch, or "the uncoiled dragon spreads its wings" as it is called in WC.
:D

monji112000
07-13-2009, 12:59 PM
its funny nobody is talking about the elbow drop Dan Gave Bisping after he was clearly out, and laying on the ground. He even admitted to doing it knowing full well he was out. That to me is much worse than any antic Lesnar pulled. Dan put Bisping health in harms way.. (its somewhat related ).

any thoughts? am I overreacting??

brothernumber9
07-13-2009, 01:08 PM
the ref was too slow. Almost all fighters will continue the kill until they are pulled off. If Henderson admitted that he knew Bisping was completely done, then sure the the shot was gratuitous and maybe he should be fined, but as soon as Bisping's head bounced off the canvas, the ref should have been wrapping up Henderson and jumping in between. Just the same, it was a supreme "DAAMN!!" moment.

monji112000
07-13-2009, 01:17 PM
the ref was too slow. Almost all fighters will continue the kill until they are pulled off. If Henderson admitted that he knew Bisping was completely done, then sure the the shot was gratuitous and maybe he should be fined, but as soon as Bisping's head bounced off the canvas, the ref should have been wrapping up Henderson and jumping in between. Just the same, it was a supreme "DAAMN!!" moment.
sure people continue to attack, but most people will stop when someone is knocked out. It was a slit second decision, and he knowingly put someone else's life at risk. I know its hard once you turn it on.. but still this a sport not a street fight.

http://www.sportslush.com/media/852/Dan_Henderson_vs._Michael_Bisping_BRUTAL_KNOCK_OUT/

lkfmdc
07-13-2009, 01:26 PM
The thing about professional MMA is that supposed "professional fighters" still make really amateur mistakes (mainly because there is a really under developed amateur league for them to work those problems out in!)

Bisping went in the wrong direction

David Louseau (sp?) didn't understand that Rich Franklin was a southpaw

Rich Franklin had no idea what to do in the clinch vs Silva

and a million other examples if I stopped to think

Pacman
07-13-2009, 03:45 PM
wait.. this is the WC section your supposed to just rush in guns blazing chain punching. ;)
(sorry it was moved from the WC section my joke isn't so funny anymore)

ugh...i hate that that is what many WC "sifus" train their students to do. that is not representative of a WC philosophy...rather a result of people who can't box teaching others their methods.

the kamikaze style attack...ive seen other fighters do the same thing. no setups, just rushing in. the difference is that they at least throw in some different strikes.

Pacman
07-13-2009, 03:49 PM
sure people continue to attack, but most people will stop when someone is knocked out. It was a slit second decision, and he knowingly put someone else's life at risk. I know its hard once you turn it on.. but still this a sport not a street fight.

http://www.sportslush.com/media/852/Dan_Henderson_vs._Michael_Bisping_BRUTAL_KNOCK_OUT/

i agree, it was a pretty ******* thing to do. but henderson seems like an *******.

its always the quiet ones...

if you watch the video at the link above you can also see that henderson when coming in left himself completely wide open to be hit as well. i mean his head is down, his arms are down.
kamikaze style...

goju
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
i think bisping got what he deserved hendo should have pulled his spin eout of his mouth and beat him with it for talking smack

and what the other guys said dont run into is right hand lol
hendos good though he gave andersona good fight

loved brocks speech as well lol

taai gihk yahn
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM
if I stopped to think
why start now? :D

Liddel
07-13-2009, 08:05 PM
Lets be honest Dan hits hard with both hands, its just his right that has the stigma after being more sucessful in KO'in dudes...

Bisbing trained to avoid his right you could see this in the lead up clip and we were told as much in the pre fight interview so obviously the rest of Dans game stifled Bisbing enough for him to have to scramble and work outside his gameplan....he got chased down game over :o

What else could Bisbing do, kick his base out..nope you get taken down town, he only had the option of trading IMO although Dans chin is rock hard so dam what a hard fight for Bisbing.

its funny nobody is talking about the elbow drop Dan Gave Bisping after he was clearly out, and laying on the ground. He even admitted to doing it knowing full well he was out. That to me is much worse than any antic Lesnar pulled. Dan put Bisping health in harms way.. (its somewhat related ).

any thoughts? am I overreacting??

Na fair call monji, although if i was fighting its the refs job to get in quick and stop it so you cant really blame Dano in that respect, hes a competitor through and through..... and hey Bisbing was out for it so the pain came after LOL :p

Hows Lesnar call about mounting his wife LOL the guys a douche but dam funny :D :cool:

DREW

Mr Punch
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Bisbing trained to avoid his right you could see this in the lead up clip and we were told as much in the pre fight interview so obviously the rest of Dans game stifled Bisbing enough for him to have to scramble and work outside his gameplan....he got chased down game over :o

What else could Bisbing do, kick his base out..nope you get taken down town, he only had the option of trading IMO although Dans chin is rock hard so dam what a hard fight for Bisbing.What?! Are you saying Henderson so out-classes Bisping all Bisping could think of to do was to circle into that big right the whole frigging time?! :D I don't reckon, mate!

1) Bisping could've circled the other side!
2) He could have tried a combination or two instead of popping in with odd shots.
3) Yes, he could have kicked his legs. Yeah, sure he could've got taken down, but that's why he should be working his footwork: to go in and out. Sides, isn't he grounded in Thai? Not known for slow telegraphed weak kicks that leave you hanging for the takedown...!

He ****ed up. Full stop.

Na fair call monji, although if i was fighting its the refs job to get in quick and stop it so you cant really blame Dano in that respect, hes a competitor through and through..... and hey Bisbing was out for it so the pain came after LOL :pTo be fair, Henderson did sound a little surprised in his interview at the end, himself... I don't think it was something he'd planned. But still, not a good one, and potentially extremely damaging.

Pacman
07-14-2009, 01:13 AM
Lets be honest Dan hits hard with both hands, its just his right that has the stigma after being more sucessful in KO'in dudes...

What else could Bisbing do, kick his base out..nope you get taken down town, he only had the option of trading IMO although Dans chin is rock hard so dam what a hard fight for Bisbing.

Na fair call monji, although if i was fighting its the refs job to get in quick and stop it so you cant really blame Dano in that respect, hes a competitor through and through..... and hey Bisbing was out for it so the pain came after LOL :p

Hows Lesnar call about mounting his wife LOL the guys a douche but dam funny :D :cool:

DREW

im sure he can hit harder than most people iwth either hand--given his training

but his left hand is his lead hand so that makes it the weaker one and on top of that he never did anything with it but jab

Pacman
07-14-2009, 01:14 AM
Sides, isn't he grounded in Thai? Not known for slow telegraphed weak kicks that leave you hanging for the takedown...!

not weak, but from what i have seen somewhat telegraphed. they always move the opposing hand up first, before they bring it down to counterbalance as they kick

Bing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xl35p8u5O4Y

Old Noob
07-14-2009, 06:12 AM
I'm wasn't too offended by the late hit until Hendo admitted that he premeditated it. Things happen so fast that I could have believed him if he had simply indicated that he was going to go until the ref stopped or he didn't see the knock out (the replay showed Hendo's eyes closed and away during the punch), but to admit that he put one on for good measure because Bisping is a chucklehead...bad. Hendo could even see some legal problems because of that admission.

lkfmdc
07-14-2009, 01:19 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't remember Henderson every doing damage with his left hand (nor with kicks). He is pretty one dimensional as far as striking goes, but of course a great wrestler

Priority #1 was stay away from the right hand, NOT circle into it with your hands down and your jaw up :eek:

Liddel
07-14-2009, 04:31 PM
What?! Are you saying Henderson so out-classes Bisping all Bisping could think of to do was to circle into that big right the whole frigging time?! :D I don't reckon, mate!

I dont think he was thinking i think he was reacting which is slower than action, Hendo was pressing the action as he does, as he should.

Not saying circling right is all Bisbing could do, just that he had very little options which is clear by the outcome :eek:, Hendo cut off the cage well and chased him down as Bisbing was moving all over - at one point he HAD TO GO RIGHT, although i conceed he did that too much...clearly :p

I would go far as to put money on Hendo in a rematch :o.
it was a tough fight for bisbing buddy. His game plan was stiffled dude, obviously... because he trained to avoid the right and then got tagged with it !

1) Bisping could've circled the other side!

He did mate, but to think he could only circle one way the whole fight is under estimating Hendo's experience and ability. :rolleyes:

2) He could have tried a combination or two instead of popping in with odd shots.

Thats what happens when the opponent stifles your gameplan, you just cant fire right.

3) Yes, he could have kicked his legs. Yeah, sure he could've got taken down, but that's why he should be working his footwork: to go in and out. Sides, isn't he grounded in Thai? Not known for slow telegraphed weak kicks that leave you hanging for the takedown...!

See answer above ;)

He ****ed up. Full stop.

That we can agree on.

To be fair, Henderson did sound a little surprised in his interview at the end, himself... I don't think it was something he'd planned. But still, not a good one, and potentially extremely damaging.

Um, welcome to UFC bro... its not like it was the first time someone got the bash after being knocked out, not saying it was ok, just pointing out it wasnt the first time nor will it be the last IMO...

On a side note its a frickin crack up that they subtitle Bisbings accent, i can understand him just fine....yanks LOL :p ooright sun ? :)

but his left hand is his lead hand so that makes it the weaker one and on top of that he never did anything with it but jab

People say this all the time here on these forums and your not wrong it is weaker. But to assume because its weaker it doesnt have KO power is silly, especially when Randy has said as much, he just cant land it standing all to often as he not the best striker...

Ive watched pride for years and have seen every UFC but for about 6 of them in the 20's -

Are people forgetting Hendo's experience and titles or what ? PRIDE double weight division champion.... and IMO PRIDE at its peak was tougher comp than UFC... although i may be alone on that one. Compared to Bisbing...it was a no brainer IMO.

For perspective though i had money on Bisbing just to see if i could win a big pot, all my mates had Hendo for the win LOL

DREW

Yung Apprentice
07-14-2009, 05:19 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't remember Henderson every doing damage with his left hand (nor with kicks). He is pretty one dimensional as far as striking goes, but of course a great wrestler

Priority #1 was stay away from the right hand, NOT circle into it with your hands down and your jaw up :eek:

Off the top of my head (so I may be wrong) but didn't Hendo KTFO Wanderlei with his left?

WinterPalm
07-14-2009, 08:45 PM
He KO'd Wanderlei with a left hook.

And I was so happy to see Bisping get taken out...but man, that KO was vicious.:eek:

Pacman
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
I
People say this all the time here on these forums and your not wrong it is weaker. But to assume because its weaker it doesnt have KO power is silly, especially when Randy has said as much, he just cant land it standing all to often as he not the best striker...

i agree it has ko power. hell even if it didnt have ko power its good enough to stun you while he lands a right.

i was just saying, like others have said, that if i had a choice i would move to his left outside. i wouldnt care if i circled him like a buzzard the whole fight. if he doesnt change his game plan i wouldnt have to change either

Liddel
07-19-2009, 06:00 PM
that if i had a choice i would move to his left outside. i wouldnt care if i circled him like a buzzard the whole fight. if he doesnt change his game plan i wouldnt have to change either

You arent not looking at it with open eyes. Put it this way - If you were Hendo or your best weapon is indeed your "big right hand" like him - would you be able to deal with someone trying to circle away from it.... of course you could.

Personally i think Bisbing is over ratted and a nice little in road into the Brit market for Dana. Look at the Bisbing Hamill (sp?) fight. Hamill at that stage had very poor hands (at best) but was a good wrestler and look at the outcome.....

Look at the list of Dans opponents let alone the list of people hes beaten.

No comparison. Middleweight or welterweight hes a bad man....

DREW

GeneChing
12-07-2009, 12:19 PM
Interesting that Strikeforce decided to keep the Dana acknowledgment in this press release.

MMA SUPERSTAR AND FORMER U.S. OLYMPIC WRESTLER DAN HENDERSON SIGNS WITH STRIKEFORCE

NEW YORK (December 7, 2009)-Four-time mixed martial arts (MMA) world champion and two-time United States Olympic wrestler Dan Henderson will enter a new chapter in his legendary career after signing a multi-fight agreement with world championship MMA promotion STRIKEFORCE.

Henderson, the only fighter in history to simultaneously hold two titles in two different weight classes - the welterweight (183 pounds) and light heavyweight (205 pounds) crowns - with a major MMA promotion - PRIDE Fighting Championships - will enter the STRIKEFORCE cage after earning "Knockout of the Night" honors with his stunning second round (3:20) KO of Michael "The Count" Bisping at UFC 100 in Las Vegas, Nevada on July 11, 2009.

"I'm very happy to be a part of STRIKEFORCE and their partnership with CBS and SHOWTIME®," said the 39-year-old Henderson, who represented The United States in Greco-Roman wrestling in both the 1992 and 1996 Summer Olympics.

"STRIKEFORCE and its growing roster of world class talent will offer me many exciting fights and has the ability to bring many new fans from all around the world to mixed martial arts. I am grateful to (STRIKEFORCE Founder and CEO) Scott Coker for the opportunity to help make this happen and for treating me with the utmost respect throughout our negotiations

I'd also like to thank Dana (White) and the UFC for the opportunities they provided me and I wish them ongoing success. I'll continue to watch their events and I hope they'll tune in to my fights in STRIKEFORCE. After all, I'm a true fan of our fantastic sport and would love only to see MMA continue to grow."

"We are excited to welcome Dan Henderson to STRIKEFORCE," said Coker. "Dan is one of the world's premiere fighters who has lived out an extraordinary career. We are looking forward to having him compete for us."

At both Cal State Fullerton and Arizona State University, Henderson established himself as a force in collegiate wrestling, reaching the NCAA championships in 1993.

In 1997, Henderson entered the world of MMA, winning the Brazil Open, a four-man heavyweight tournament. One year later, he was the victor of the UFC 17 tournament, defeating both Allan Goes and Carlos Newton in the same night on May 15, 1998.

Following a stellar six plus year career with the now-defunct, Japan-based PRIDE Fighting Championships where he conquered a number of all-time greats including Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, Wanderlei "The Axe Murderer" Silva, and Vitor Belfort, Henderson re-entered UFC. He was selected to serve as coach of Team USA on the ninth season of The Ultimate Fighter reality series, which premiered on Spike TV on April 1, 2009.

STRIKEFORCE in March 2009 signed a multi-year agreement to stage live MMA events on premium cable television network SHOWTIME. The promotion made its live, primetime debut on CBS with the "Fedor vs. Rogers" mega-fight that it co-promoted with M-1 Global on Saturday, November 7 and generated 5.46 million viewers for the main event between the world's number one heavyweight, Fedor Emelianenko, and superstar Brett "The Grim" Rogers.

About STRIKEFORCE
STRIKEFORCE (www.strikeforce.com <https://mail.svse.net/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.strikeforce.com/> ) is a world-class mixed martial arts cage fight promotion which, on Friday, March 10, 2006, made history with its "Shamrock vs. Gracie" event, the first sanctioned mixed martial arts fight card in California state history. The star-studded extravaganza, which pitted legendary champion Frank Shamrock against Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu black belt Cesar Gracie at San Jose's HP Pavilion, played host to a sold-out, record crowd of 18,265. Since 1995, STRIKEFORCE has been the exclusive provider of martial arts programming for ESPN and, after 12 years of success as a leading, world championship kickboxing promotion, the company unveiled its mixed martial arts series with "Shamrock vs. Gracie." In May 2008, West Coast

Productions, the parent company of STRIKEFORCE, partnered with Silicon Valley Sports & Entertainment (SVS&E), an entity created in 2000 to oversee all business operation aspects of the San Jose Sharks and HP Pavilion at San Jose.

goju
12-07-2009, 02:35 PM
we are witnessing the end of the ufc
dan is the is just one of the first to make the jump over to strike force

Dragonzbane76
12-07-2009, 05:54 PM
i think the ufc needs the comp. the last strikeforce was pretty good (fedor/rogers) and the others on the card, i hope they do have success with cbs.

Cimaroon
12-08-2009, 06:22 PM
Maybe Dan can put a stop to all the mouthing that Shields is doing. Granted he has directed it at Cung, Id take anyone shutting that fool upl

goju
12-12-2009, 06:24 AM
shields mouthed off to cung?
wooooooooooooh lawd thats one of the last guys i would talk stuff too:D