PDA

View Full Version : Wushu Taijiquan Championships

GeneChing
07-14-2009, 10:47 AM
Click for vid. Come on now - you want to see "Popular Punch - Japanese enjoy a spar" - click it!

Chinese Martial Arts a Hit in Japan (http://english.ntdtv.com/ntdtv_en/ns_life/2009-07-13/233968040733.html)
2009-7-13 8:4565

If you thought Chinese martial arts are only popular in China, take a look at this. The 26th annual Wushu Taijiquan Championships kicked off in Japan, featuring thousands of martial arts enthusiasts from all over the country. NTD’s Tokyo bureau has more on this story.

Taijiquan, long-range punch, and other traditional Chinese martial arts techniques are on display at a competition organized by Japan Wushu Taijiquan Federation.

[Kyuhei Muraoka, JWTF Vice President]:
“This time around 2,100 challengers from all over Japan participated. The oldest is 78 years old, and the youngest is seven years old. Recently, younger people have begun participating more and I am happy about that.”

Exactly how did Chinese-rooted martial arts become so popular in Japan? Martial arts instructor Sun Jianming says he has the answer.

[Sun Jianming, Martial Arts Instructor]:
“I think the main reason is that Chinese martial arts has a certain charm and 'fits' the body well. It isn’t only for keeping fit, but also to teach courtesy and morality. Japanese people's politeness is famous throughout the world, but morality in Chinese martial arts has another meaning.”

Bringing more than 20 years’ experience as an instructor, Sun won the national male fencing and male Taijiquan championships in mainland China before starting to train Japan’s top martial artists in 1986.

He's also excited about NTD's Chinese Traditional Martial Arts Competition. Sun says it's an effective way to restore the ancient tradition.

[Sun Jianming, Martial Arts Instructor]:
“I think the competition is really good, and if I have the opportunity in the future I will certainly participate. Because I like Chinese traditional martial arts so much, and it’s like hundreds of flowers blooming together. I hope it can make people improve and that more Chinese people and everybody else can participate in this competition."

NTD, Tokyo, Japan.