Silva fighting from a high YKJYM ??

sanjuro_ronin
07-15-2009, 11:33 AM
GSP doing tma, that freak !!

And Liddell using short power !!
:eek:

David Jamieson
07-15-2009, 12:12 PM
yep, you can definitely pull from what is in tma and put it to work for real.

I think Lidell is a Kempo guy originally and GSP is a MT guy.

mma = mixed martial art. I don't have any issues with filling in the gaps. :)

lkfmdc
07-15-2009, 12:15 PM
No, it isn't possible

Because when you put on gloves and fight with rules it is just a sport and you can't use REAL CMA under those conditions

JUst ask most of this forum :D

David Jamieson
07-15-2009, 12:22 PM
No, it isn't possible

Because when you put on gloves and fight with rules it is just a sport and you can't use REAL CMA under those conditions

I know you're being fascetious. lol

There are a few people on the forum who aren't with the program yet, still living in david carradines armpit and drinking heavily from the kool-aid tub. It's true.

Hopefully those people never get in a fight. :)

sanjuro_ronin
07-15-2009, 12:23 PM
yep, you can definitely pull from what is in tma and put it to work for real.

I think Lidell is a Kempo guy originally and GSP is a MT guy.

mma = mixed martial art. I don't have any issues with filling in the gaps. :)

GSP is orginally kyokushin which is MT with a gi so when he went to MT all he had to do was get naked !
:p

sanjuro_ronin
07-15-2009, 12:24 PM
No, it isn't possible

Bet you liked that Lama one, eh?

Pork Chop
07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
.. kyokushin which is MT with a gi so when he went to MT all he had to do was get naked..

man, that is sooo wrong hehe

IronWeasel
07-15-2009, 12:53 PM
GSP is orginally kyokushin which is MT with a gi so when he went to MT all he had to do was get naked !

What do you tie your belt onto???:confused:

sanjuro_ronin
07-15-2009, 12:58 PM

How bad do you want to find out? remember that Machida thread?

David Jamieson
07-15-2009, 01:28 PM

why your erection of course!

I'm surprised you even had to ask that!

:D

IronWeasel
07-15-2009, 05:37 PM
How bad do you want to find out? remember that Machida thread?

Now I'll know what to look for. My opponent will be in his fighting gear, and have a magic marker in his hand....

IronWeasel
07-15-2009, 05:39 PM
why your erection of course!

I'm surprised you even had to ask that!

:D

I guess that's why we wear the nice silky sashes instead of those coarse karate belts.

IronWeasel
07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
The only thing missing from "MMA" is forms training. I sould make up a nice MMA form...

It'll start with some hopping from foot to foot, just like when you enter the octogon.

Then I'll do a drop step, raise my arms like a fireman's carry.

Then I'll roll to my back (gotcha in my guard)...and grab my toes with both hands (triangle choke).

I'll stretch my legs out to sink the arm bar, then I'll TAP (defensive move).

Repeat as necessary.

David Jamieson
07-15-2009, 06:08 PM
The only thing missing from "MMA" is forms training. I sould make up a nice MMA form...

It'll start with some hopping from foot to foot, just like when you enter the octogon.

Then I'll roll to my back (gotcha in my guard)...and grab my toes with both hands (triangle choke).

Repeat as necessary.

what about the rapid forward leaning chain punching followed by the cutting kicks to the legs followed with a clinch and knees to the take down moves. there's tons of stuff you can do there from both sides in different directions maybe even throw in some sprawls and break falls and rolls? :D

Mr Punch
07-15-2009, 06:29 PM
All of which demands the question:

Why is it that all MMA degenerates into shoddy TMA?
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Shaolin Wookie
07-15-2009, 07:04 PM
What would you do if you could build a time machine, then go back to the days when kung fu was the greatest warrior martial art of all time......and then you found out that it was always just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_n7I7QUN0&feature=related

IronWeasel
07-15-2009, 10:41 PM
what about the rapid forward leaning chain punching followed by the cutting kicks to the legs followed with a clinch and knees to the take down moves. there's tons of stuff you can do there from both sides in different directions maybe even throw in some sprawls and break falls and rolls? :D

That's too many steps. I'd never remember all of that.

Kansuke
07-16-2009, 02:18 AM

Repeat as necessary.

Don't reveal everything! There are more secrets hidden in your form than anyone can know. It would take years and thousands of dollars - I mean - hours of directed training in your form for a student to even begin to plumb the depths of the MMA form! Everyday you can learn something new from it, and even without ever fighting anyone it will make you a badass such that when you are 90 years old you will be able to kick everyone's ass even though you've never been in a fight in your life. Oh, and, um, it will give you special energy that, um, I can't explain because it is, um, special, and, um, will give you super-human power if you pay enough - I mean train long enough, um, and stuff...

TaichiMantis
07-16-2009, 05:01 AM
I see some of you guys are into one of my favorite games...spot the tma moves in mma matches ;)

David Jamieson
07-16-2009, 05:45 AM
What would you do if you could build a time machine, then go back to the days when kung fu was the greatest warrior martial art of all time......and then you found out that it was always just like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG_n7I7QUN0&feature=related

hahaha, that is typical of what people thought fighting was. Some people still think that ridiculous crap is the bees knees. I don't know how many times I heard "yeah well he was involved in roof top fights in hong kong" :rolleyes:

By all indications, that clip is an example of most of what happened up there and Kungfu was already clearly dying as a combat worthy art at that point.

Lucas
07-16-2009, 09:11 AM
its all about the pressure and purpose.

when your life is actually going to be put on the line, your training is going to reflect that. when your pride and career are going to be put on the line, your training is going to reflect that. when you cant make it to the gym because of school, work, kids, wife, etc. your training is going to reflec that.

your performance come combat time, will reflect your training.

its simple really.

from the worst to the best. its still all out there, just in varying degrees.

want to see good kungfu? go fight a chinese military champ. granted its going to be MMA* but there will undoubtedly be chinese martial art influence as well.

want to see crap kungfu? go to watch a guy who only trains 1-2 hours a week due to life constraints.

*non-light sport orientation...

IronWeasel
07-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Don't reveal everything! There are more secrets hidden in your form than anyone can know. It would take years and thousands of dollars - I mean - hours of directed training in your form for a student to even begin to plumb the depths of the MMA form! Everyday you can learn something new from it, and even without ever fighting anyone it will make you a badass such that when you are 90 years old you will be able to kick everyone's ass even though you've never been in a fight in your life. Oh, and, um, it will give you special energy that, um, I can't explain because it is, um, special, and, um, will give you super-human power if you pay enough - I mean train long enough, um, and stuff...

My special energy-sauce is easily explained and demonstrated!

lkfmdc
07-16-2009, 09:20 AM
hahaha, that is typical of what people thought fighting was. Some people still think that ridiculous crap is the bees knees. I don't know how many times I heard "yeah well he was involved in roof top fights in hong kong" :rolleyes:

By all indications, that clip is an example of most of what happened up there and Kungfu was already clearly dying as a combat worthy art at that point.

1954 you had the Wu Kung Yi vs. Chan Hak Fu debacle

Then these infamous "roof top fights" which look like slap fights

And you've got famous masters in China taking hits from a kid with 2 years of training, and only because he tried to cheap shot him in a friendly chi sau
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNIzLWdj2GA

"Don't look behind the curtain"

Lucas
07-20-2009, 02:20 PM
So I finally got around to reading the E-Zine article with Cung Le. The last statement by Cung got me thinking a bit.

It kind of goes back and forth with whether Cung Le is a TCMA guy in any fashion.

In regards to that, Ive come to the conclusion that its hard to decided what someone else is, without knowing the inside and outside of what that person really does.

For instance: " I’m the first traditional Chinese martial arts guy in the MMA world to get one. " ~ under the context of having his own action figure, if you havnt ready the article YET.

I also remember seeing an interview where Cung Le says he has 5 forms down that he practices. Just because he is also MMA, self proclaimed as a TCMA guy as well as doing the forms and the sanshou....makes you think what really is TCMA, and how confined that definition can be put into a nice square little box.

TCMA, along with all other martial arts that evolve, needs to have its definitions updated along with material and training methods.

TCMA understanding shouldnt be confined soley to practices of the past, yet should also include those have brought TCMA forward in the evolution of martial arts.

Just a thought I had and wanted to write for no apparent reason other than I'm bored at work and have the time.

David Jamieson
07-20-2009, 03:24 PM
tcma, if anything needs to return to what it was when it had employ.

it deteriorated in the 20th century considerably.

I think mma will give it back a place to shine.
It's up to those who do it, to apply it though.

Scott R. Brown
07-20-2009, 04:17 PM
I didn't see one babe in all those pics!:mad::(

diego
07-21-2009, 02:21 AM
I guess that's why we wear the nice silky sashes instead of those coarse karate belts.

Yeah, Cotton chafes spelling? the boys below karate guys like to smash theirs so they can dull the pain and fight right away like maybe whack the Makiwara for a few. In Kung fu at most temples we like to place ours in the fine silken sash and gradually beat them...