PDA

View Full Version : "How good is your gong fu"

Shaolinstudent
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
There is a Master Tony Yang who teaches around where I live, has anyone heard of him, what style of Baji does he teach, what style of Wutang does he teach, and is his gong fu good?

The website I found him on is www.asianma.com

IronWeasel
07-16-2009, 08:34 PM
There is a Master Tony Yang who teaches around where I live, has anyone heard of him, what style of Baji does he teach, what style of Wutang does he teach, and is his gong fu good?

The website I found him on is www.asianma.com

He hosts a tournament every May. Lotsa decent form work...not much contact.

The contact that I saw was san shou, and the kung fu guys got whooped by the mma guys.

Do you have an instructor currently?

Shaolinstudent
07-16-2009, 09:11 PM
No I don't have a teacher currently, looking for one, lately I have been teaching myself a form of Shaolin gong fu called Chang Hu Xin Yi Men Quan, a sword and Staff form of Shaolin, and I have been thinking lately "I need some help here", so yeah!

IronWeasel
07-16-2009, 09:28 PM
No I don't have a teacher currently, looking for one, lately I have been teaching myself a form of Shaolin gong fu called Chang Hu Xin Yi Men Quan, a sword and Staff form of Shaolin, and I have been thinking lately "I need some help here", so yeah!

Well Akron has a few good schools...

Depends on your interests and level of commitment.

Ho Chun
Green Dragon
Wing Sing
Tony Yang's school
I hear Mike Biggie's PM school is good.

David43515
07-16-2009, 11:24 PM
I`m from Ohio (the Toledo area) originally. Never heard anything but good stuff about Tony Yang.

I`m not sure what you mean by 'What style of Baji does he teach'. I didn`t realize there was more than one style that used that name.

Shaolinstudent
07-16-2009, 11:59 PM
There are different family styles of Baji like: Li, Wu, and Huo.

SPJ
07-17-2009, 07:12 AM
yes, there are 2 main branches.

1. meng cun area: considered softer. mixed mostly with pi gua,

2. Luo Tong (sp?): considered harder, "closer" to Luo Han.

Meng Cun Ba Ji is represented by Wu Xio Feng-> Wu Lian Zhi.

Luo Tong or Luo Zong Ba Ji is represented by Li Shu Wen.

Li promoted the style in more areas of China. Wu style is limited to Meng Cun and Tian Jin area. Now that both are popular everywhere.

Huo Dian Ge was Li's first disciple and promoted the hard style in Chang Chun and northeast China.

Liu Yun Qiao was Li's last disciple and promoted the style in Taiwan.

---

Wu Tan Mantis is a compilation of 7 star, Mei Hua, 8 steps and Mi Meng (secret door) etc. mostly Guo Shu Guan era materials.

---

as pointed out

focus on one style at a time.

and have fun.

--

the fun is in the journey of getting there.

so they said.

:)

yu shan
07-17-2009, 07:21 AM
Man something about the Akron area, seems to be loaded with martial arts for its small size.

I suggest Shifu Mike Biggie, solid background with CLF & 7* Mantis. Very good teacher and a good man. (330)-699-3157

Dale Dugas
07-17-2009, 08:06 AM
There is also Jiulong Baguazhang in your area taught by my friend and senior brother Rick Krausman. If you are interested visit his website at: Ohio 9 Dragon Baguazhang (http://ohio9dragonbagua.com/)

If Baguazhang is not to you liking then I would second Mike Biggie as he is a great teacher and great guy. I have known him for years and he has some skill.