PDA

View Full Version : My student wins his first Sanda match!!

xcakid
07-19-2009, 06:52 PM
This is his first ever Sanda match. Competing at the Legends of Kung Fu tournament here in Dallas. This is the 130# weight class. He only had one opponent, but I think he did well.

We do need to work on him dipping his head and maybe more work on boxing. I am pretty happy with his take downs though. And he rooted himself pretty well and reversed when he was being taken down.

I was really worried about his first tourney. I think I was more nervous that he was.

He is the guy in black headgear and white shin pads.

:cool: :D :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvTQIMLPfEg

lkfmdc
07-19-2009, 07:02 PM
congrats, always better to go out and try than to sit in the bleechers!

xcakid
07-19-2009, 07:08 PM
THANKS!!

We had a couple of more training but this tourney was expensive and they could not afford it. :(

lkfmdc
07-19-2009, 07:13 PM
honestly, you deserve a better event and not to be ripped off, sanshou/san da is in a bad state these days :o

htowndragon
07-20-2009, 03:37 AM
your studnets opponent was robert kimes, my classmate from david chins school. I am the Chinese guy who was working the corner with Robert Bradley. You can see my sifu walk by at the beginning of the clip.

Chief_Suicide
07-20-2009, 05:13 AM
Who is the guy with the white hair and goatee? I've seen him ref tournaments in Ohio and Kentucky and this happens in Texas. That guy gets around.

Congrats to your student.

brothernumber9
07-20-2009, 06:29 AM
That's Sifu Mike Barry. He's been around awhile and has always supported the competetive fighting aspects of kung fu, he's usually one of the head referees or arbitrators in alot of the tourneys up and down the east.

xcakid
07-20-2009, 07:01 AM
your studnets opponent was robert kimes, my classmate from david chins school. I am the Chinese guy who was working the corner with Robert Bradley. You can see my sifu walk by at the beginning of the clip.

Oh wow, I wish I knew that. Did you compete? Would've been nice to meet you guys properly.

He had my guy running with the flurry of punches. I kept telling my guy to quit dipping his head. Luckily the upper cut did not come ;)

My guy even got warned for running. :o

xcakid
07-20-2009, 07:43 AM
I paid for the "video pass", an extra $40 to be able to film the event, with the exception of Masters Demo.

However, I saw quite a few folks without the pass filming it. No one ever came up and said anything to them. I feel cheated. :mad:

TenTigers
07-20-2009, 08:09 AM
Congrats! What gear were you wearing? Is there a specific brand that is accepted at these tournaments and not used elsewhere? What brand and type headgear, chestgear, gloves and shinguards were used?
I don't want to buy several different types of gear, and it wouldn't be fair to ask my students to. It's hard enough to keep costs down as you pointed out.

Oso
07-20-2009, 08:43 AM
no time to watch it all but the good job!

nice couple of throws

but, what was the 'hold your sword' comment all about???

GeneChing
07-20-2009, 09:57 AM
Speaking of gear, weren't you cornering that heavyweight fighter towards the end too, xcakid? Got any footage of that?

Oso
07-20-2009, 10:07 AM
Congrats! What gear were you wearing? Is there a specific brand that is accepted at these tournaments and not used elsewhere? What brand and type headgear, chestgear, gloves and shinguards were used?
I don't want to buy several different types of gear, and it wouldn't be fair to ask my students to. It's hard enough to keep costs down as you pointed out.

yea, it sux too when you show up w/ gear that is better and safer than the gear the tournament makes them wear... the GLT was totally fine but the local guys in charlotte insist on the TC2000 gloves for Lei tai and they are about as useless as teats on a bull.

xcakid
07-20-2009, 10:37 AM

As far as gear, that was one of the biggest complaints I have with this tournament. They changed the glove size like 3 times. Last change being 1.5wks before the tournament.

What is standard is:
Boxing headgear, no specific brand, but no light contact(foam dipped) head gear.
Boxing gloves. Each tourney have their own requirement. If you have 14-16oz you should be good. We got ours from Title Boxing.
Shin pads. Again no light contact foam dipped kind.
Mouth piece and cup of course.
Some tourneys require chest protector. Again no foam dipped gear. My guy used the Kwon chest protector. They run about $40.

xcakid
07-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Speaking of gear, weren't you cornering that heavyweight fighter towards the end too, xcakid? Got any footage of that?

Yeah. I met that dude at one of the open tournaments we go to. I think it was just him and his friend there and he just asked me to corner him. I did not get any footage of it though.

xcakid
07-20-2009, 10:42 AM
but, what was the 'hold your sword' comment all about???

Not sure. Those comments came from the other team. :confused:

Pork Chop
07-20-2009, 01:07 PM
I paid for the "video pass", an extra $40 to be able to film the event, with the exception of Masters Demo.

wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait....
you mean to tell me that it was $30 just to be a sanshou spectator and ANOTHER $40 just to video tape?
u gotta be effing kidding me...

xcakid
07-20-2009, 01:39 PM
wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait....
you mean to tell me that it was $30 just to be a sanshou spectator and ANOTHER $40 just to video tape?
u gotta be effing kidding me...

Yeah to shoot video for both days was $40. I paid it cause there was 9 people from our school going including myself.

Looks like Master Scrima tourney in March 2010 here is Dallas is going to be similar pricing.

lkfmdc
07-20-2009, 02:32 PM
Yeah to shoot video for both days was $40. I paid it cause there was 9 people from our school going including myself.

Looks like Master Scrima tourney in March 2010 here is Dallas is going to be similar pricing.

paying to video tape yourself fighting is absurd....

xcakid
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
paying to video tape yourself fighting is absurd....

Yeah I know. I played by the rules and I apparently those rules are meant to be broken.

Pork Chop
07-20-2009, 02:46 PM
it's just blowing my mind....
Ringside seats for a sanctioned local amateur mma show, complete with light show, music, and ring card girls goes for $25, or $20 if you prepay online.
Regular seats are like $10 at the door.
That money pays for the venue, the cage/ring, gloves & medical (on-site dr) for all the fighters, as well as the bells & whistles mentioned above, not to mention sanctioning by the state amateur athletic commission (something lokf uses a loophole to avoid).
wow.... just wow...

lkfmdc
07-20-2009, 03:10 PM
The thing I really hate about these events is how they milk the San Shou competitors. YOu pay MORE and they don't even insure you! They try and talk a good game, but when I asked WHY they charged more they couldn't explain it because they do NOT insure you for the compeition

DRAGONSIHING
07-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Congratulations to Mr. Lath and his coach Mr. Tadeo. I wish could have come back Sunday and seen these competions, maybe next year. I will add that I also saw people doing video that did not have passes, even during masters demo. I thought the crowd/door control was pretty loose after things began. My teacher wishes there was elevated seating, too. I wish there was more seating around rings. They are all so close together. They could have done some stuff in rooms that were used for warmups/practice that were mostly empty. A listing of what was going to be in what ring inside the main venue rather than outside door would have been nice, too. Still enjoyed being there and will go again.

Pork Chop
07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
The thing I really hate about these events is how they milk the San Shou competitors. YOu pay MORE and they don't even insure you! They try and talk a good game, but when I asked WHY they charged more they couldn't explain it because they do NOT insure you for the compeition

Completely outrageous, i totally agree with you.
For a higher-than-market price you're not getting gear, insurance, ringside doctor, medical exam, sanctioning, or even a proper lei tai (would prefer a ring).
On top of that, should you bring any spectators, they'll be forced to pay a higher than market price for limited seating, and heaven forbid they try to film anything.
My gym's free "smokers" (sparring sessions) have a better seating situation and I'm pretty sure at least twice as many spectators; who just pay for food and drinks served on-site.

htowndragon
07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
I was fight #3 actually, fought right after the two female fighters competed. I was the one who got scraped across the eye towards the end of round one and dropped out of the fight. did you see that one? my other classmate was fight #4, went three rounds with some dude named Moore, and won. then went on to fight the guy i was fighting, but had an adrenaline dump and threw in the towel.

that sword thing was from our team. its something we're supposed to understand ;)

Pork Chop
07-20-2009, 04:37 PM
that sword thing was from our team. its something we're supposed to understand ;)

in okinawan drumming we have a saying:
"whatever happens, don't drop your bachi"
bachi = the stick you hit the drum with
we were okay if we lost our place in a song/dance as long as we held onto that stick.
that quote reminded me of that.

lkfmdc
07-20-2009, 05:43 PM
do you have any idea what a commission would think if you told them that everyone is bringing their own gloves :rolleyes:

and why are people paying more to do sanshou when they have NEITHER a ring nor a proper lei tai NOR insurance??

Think about that, they once told me, "well, the liabillities" to which I asked them for a copy of the liability - you know the certificate. Guess what, they coughed up and admitted they didn't

yutyeesam
07-20-2009, 06:56 PM
Guess what, they coughed up and admitted they didn't

Not knowing much about this side of the world, is the reason that they don't have the liability insurance b/c it is really expensive? Getting liability insurance for an MA school is not too big of a deal, wonder how different it is from a venue sporting event?

What's their rationale? Is it as simple as they don't want to spend the extra $$$ for liability?

PS Sorry Gene/Tx/ATX peeps that I missed the event this year. Too much going on at AKFA. We're in the process of getting our own space, so you know, brokers, lawyers, accountants, stakeholders, lease agreements, not sleeping, etc.

lkfmdc
07-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Not knowing much about this side of the world, is the reason that they don't have the liability insurance b/c it is really expensive?

you can get 2 million in coverage for about $750

considering what they are charging the participants, don't you think they should cough that much up :rolleyes:

Again, when I asked one of these promoters why it was so expensive to compete, he first tried to ACT like it was the "cost", but when I asked him about the ring (there wasn't one), the lei tai (there wasn't one) or the insurance (there isn't any) then you have to wonder what "expense" he is talking about :rolleyes:

MasterKiller
07-20-2009, 07:29 PM

That's why I boycotted. I had three fighters ready to go, but instead we are doing an MMA show this week, and since all my guys already have state boxing licenses, they get to fight for...uh.....FREE, get provided equipment, water, taped hands, and get covered by insurance.

Plus, MMA groupies are somewhat loser than CMA groupies. So, that's always a bonus.;)

yutyeesam
07-20-2009, 08:50 PM
you can get 2 million in coverage for about $750

considering what they are charging the participants, don't you think they should cough that much up :rolleyes:

Again, when I asked one of these promoters why it was so expensive to compete, he first tried to ACT like it was the "cost", but when I asked him about the ring (there wasn't one), the lei tai (there wasn't one) or the insurance (there isn't any) then you have to wonder what "expense" he is talking about :rolleyes:

Is there a cultural explanation for what would prevent these organizations to doing things the right way? Or is this purely personality driven, not necessarily reflective of culture?

xcakid
07-20-2009, 09:13 PM
I was fight #3 actually, fought right after the two female fighters competed. I was the one who got scraped across the eye towards the end of round one and dropped out of the fight. did you see that one? my other classmate was fight #4, went three rounds with some dude named Moore, and won. then went on to fight the guy i was fighting, but had an adrenaline dump and threw in the towel.

I missed it. I was doing the continious sparring and running back and forth. A fellow instructor was filming the matches though so he may have gotten it. I will be sorting through some of the footage the following weekend.

htowndragon
07-21-2009, 12:22 AM
fight #1, #3, and #4 i would like to have a copy of as those are from david chin's hop gar school.

#1 is already online, but #3 and #4 would be greatly appreciated.

jason.liao88@gmail.com

xcakid
07-21-2009, 05:20 AM
fight #1, #3, and #4 i would like to have a copy of as those are from david chin's hop gar school.

#1 is already online, but #3 and #4 would be greatly appreciated.

jason.liao88@gmail.com

the files may be too large for email. Its recorded in HD. I am going to see if I can maybe use rapidshare to upload and send you a link to dnld. I also don't know which fight is which with all the footage. If you can pm me their gear descriptions, that would help.

SanHeChuan
07-21-2009, 06:43 AM
how was the field of competition. fighters per class, and apparent experiance?