PDA

View Full Version : See Maoshan in a real fight!

1bad65
07-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Sifu Ben Hill, aka Maoshan, agreed to fight Lyte Burley. Burley is an artist in the art of '52 Blocks'.

Here is video of the fight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtesBEzSoY

Maoshan is the one wearing all black.

Pork Chop
07-21-2009, 08:38 AM
nick woulda killt him...

sanjuro_ronin
07-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Well, another case of confirming the need for ground work in MA.
I don't have many issues when MA decide to settle their differences with their fists, that's what MA are about, fighting.
Too bad the guy in white didn't have much ground fighting ability, he could have finished very early and quickly.
Both need to work on their clinch.
Didn't see much Bagua or 52 blocks...:p

taai gihk yahn
07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
the content of the pre- and post-engagement exchange of rhetoric was exceedingly painful...

that said, the stand-up was pretty mediocre, for supposed "master" level, that is; the sacrifice take-down by Lyte was nice and he landed in good side-control; clearly, Maoshan has NO idea what to do on the ground: he didn't know how to defend the side-control that Lyte established after the takedown, he didn't know how to defend the attempted / successful mount, and he gave Lyte his back for the choke; conversely, while Lyte was able to maintain superior position throughout, he didn't seem to know how to fully capitalize on it either (or he chose not to?); but I think a lot of what he was able to do was due to Maoshan's total lack of ground-game - for example, Lyte gave up guard at one point leaving Maoshan w/many options to get to a better situation, but Maoshan did nothing and Lyte just moved from side to North/South without any real resistance;

in general, Lyte seemed to have the advantage throughout...I would say that it seems as if Lyte did let Maoshan back up, despite what some comments suggest on the video itself that Maoshan got up on his own: Lyte had control in North / South, then smiled at the camera and just backed-off...

htowndragon
07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
i didn't see anything worth watching from both ends. i didn't like lyte burly's goating htough.

1bad65
07-21-2009, 10:36 AM
Maoshan has been talking trash for years. Maybe now he will finally pipe down.

htowndragon
07-21-2009, 10:41 AM
i really did not expect maoshan to be like that in person with everything he says online. maybe he was humbled? don't know. i want to see BT fight though.

cerebus
07-21-2009, 06:58 PM
As I recall, David Ross fought a challenge match against Maoshan years ago. No one involved would talk about the results afterwards though... :(

IronWeasel
07-21-2009, 09:09 PM
Sifu Ben Hill, aka Maoshan, agreed to fight Lyte Burley. Burley is an artist in the art of '52 Blocks'.

Here is video of the fight:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHtesBEzSoY

Maoshan is the one wearing all black.

Well...

a) At least they showed up and put it on the line.

b) someone learned that grappling may occur, and that cardio is involved.

cerebus
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
Well...

a) At least they showed up and put it on the line.

b) someone learned that grappling may occur, and that cardio is involved.

Ya know, "a" alone makes it light years ahead of most "challenge matches".

I've been "challenged" several times, always accepted, never heard anything further from the challengers. At least this match actually happened...

David Jamieson
07-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Not really much of a fight.

IronWeasel
07-22-2009, 08:55 AM
Not really much of a fight.

I didn't really note the time, but Maoshan gassed out pretty quickly. I wonder if he's a smoker....

monji112000
07-22-2009, 09:22 AM
funny stuff!

I love the use of bagua and 52 blocks..
I didn't know the 52 had chokes in them..:D
maybe next time worry about controlling his back and not getting a choke. jmo

Pork Chop
07-22-2009, 09:39 AM
As I recall, David Ross fought a challenge match against Maoshan years ago. No one involved would talk about the results afterwards though... :(

what's funny is that a completely fictional account of that match was leaked by someone who wasn't even there. for years it was believed by many and thought to validate a certain someone as well as their style.

i'm beginning to believe that a major part of tcma is the ability to stretch things into tall tales.

IronWeasel
07-22-2009, 09:42 AM
i'm beginning to believe that a major part of tcma is the ability to stretch things into tall tales.

Yes.

...we call that Chi.

lkfmdc
07-22-2009, 10:06 AM
I fought Maoshan/Ben Hill
The rules were traditional Chinese rules, no biting, no eye gouging no groin shots

AT LEAST HE SHOWED UP AND FOUGHT which is more than 99% of the mouth boxers on the internet

traditional Chinese rules are closed door and no one used it for "PR" afterwards

There were only 6 people in the room including Ben and I, it was funny to see a guy who was too scared to even show and watch (he said "My wife won't let me go" to Ben and Black Taoist) talk about a match he never saw and then also back up when confronted about it

David Jamieson
07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I didn't really note the time, but Maoshan gassed out pretty quickly. I wonder if he's a smoker....

smokers gas fast.
If you know you are gonna mix it up with a smoker, then spend the first few rounds dancing. Then attack because for sure, he'll be gassed from the dancing. :p

anyway, I think these guys would have had a better fight if they did it in a ring and had some chicks watching. :p

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2009, 11:18 AM
Everyone fights better when punany is watching.

IronWeasel
07-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Everyone fights better when punany is watching.

Nope.

I would be looking at the ring girls for sure.

Probably lying on my back (to get a better angle).:o

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
Nope.

I would be looking at the ring girls for sure.

Probably lying on my back (to get a better angle).:o

You obviously don't train in a TCMA nor do you have chi, or your chi is weak, like a piano players.

sanjuro_ronin
07-22-2009, 11:44 AM
True story:
Back in the Old country I played football for a 1st division tema as a junior, we had a friendly match with the local "district" division adult team one Sunday on their 'field".
They were all older guys with pot bellies and they were smoking and drinking before the match while we youngins were warming up.
Let me tell you this, for 90 min I have never seen old ****s run so much and so fat in my life !!
LMAO !!
There was this one guy that was a center fielder and he was playing with a cigarrette in his mouth AND a bottle of whiskey in his hand THE WHOLE FREAKING GAME !!!
I don't think he even broke a sweat !!
:eek:

cerebus
07-22-2009, 11:49 AM
If you know you are gonna mix it up with a smoker, then spend the first few rounds dancing.

Any particular style? Is ballroom dancing more effective, or would you recommend hip-hop? Maybe modern improv, though ballet might work too, no?

David Jamieson
07-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Any particular style? Is ballroom dancing more effective, or would you recommend hip-hop? Maybe modern improv, though ballet might work too, no?

close dancing and with plenty of frottage.

:p

IronWeasel
07-22-2009, 12:04 PM
You obviously don't train in a TCMA nor do you have chi, or your chi is weak, like a piano players.

Jerry Lee Lewis disagrees!:cool:

rogue
07-22-2009, 12:17 PM
What the hell was the other camera man wearing? Jeeze, someone needs a visit from Clinton and Stacey.

Lucas
07-22-2009, 12:51 PM
True story:
Back in the Old country I played football for a 1st division tema as a junior, we had a friendly match with the local "district" division adult team one Sunday on their 'field".
They were all older guys with pot bellies and they were smoking and drinking before the match while we youngins were warming up.
Let me tell you this, for 90 min I have never seen old ****s run so much and so fat in my life !!
LMAO !!
There was this one guy that was a center fielder and he was playing with a cigarrette in his mouth AND a bottle of whiskey in his hand THE WHOLE FREAKING GAME !!!
I don't think he even broke a sweat !!
:eek:

its cuz he had mad chi bro!

those werent pot bellies :o

1bad65
07-22-2009, 01:09 PM
I fought Maoshan/Ben Hill
The rules were traditional Chinese rules, no biting, no eye gouging no groin shots

traditional Chinese rules are closed door and no one used it for "PR" afterwards

Based on Maoshan's performance in the video I posted, I'd be willing to bet you beat him pretty easily.

And I've never even seen any video of you. ;)

1bad65
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
smokers gas fast.
If you know you are gonna mix it up with a smoker, then spend the first few rounds dancing. Then attack because for sure, he'll be gassed from the dancing. :p

Cigarette smokers tend to gas fast. Weed is another story.

Lucas
07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
weed smokers tend to have less strict of diets ;)

David Jamieson
07-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Cigarette smokers tend to gas fast. Weed is another story.

well weed smokers don't take 25 cigarettes a day! :eek:

heavy weed smokers can't fight at all. they do sleep a lot though. :p

1bad65
07-22-2009, 02:05 PM
heavy weed smokers can't fight at all. they do sleep a lot though. :p

Nick Diaz disagrees with you. ;)

Lucas
07-22-2009, 02:07 PM
michael phelps smokes weed

sanjuro_ronin
07-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Many drugs "benefit" MA, heck many TCMA were either opium addicts or users.
PCP does wonders for your Iron body qigong.
Crack takes your cardio to another level.
Acid makes your "animal totems" come alive !
:D

David Jamieson
07-23-2009, 07:13 AM
Nick Diaz disagrees with you. ;)

"heavy" was the key word, IE: every day and more than one cigarette of weed.

YOu think a trained fighter smokes up every day?
If he does, he ain't any good. The law of diminishing returns dictates that.

just sayin.

michael phelps having a bong hit at a party hardly constitutes a regular smoker.

heck our olympic hero in BC is a pot smoking snowboarder named Ross who won gold.

but he ain't a steady smoker.

everything in moderation. fighters know that. and if they don't, then it will show in their performance.

mawali
07-23-2009, 07:21 AM
1. Physical conditioning is the key.
2. That was a real 'fight'
3. It is as it is.

Pork Chop
07-23-2009, 08:33 AM
man this smoking thing is reminding me of Dwayne "Diesel" Shelton.
Amateur mma guy in the DC area, fought on a lot of shows.
Memorable because of his big right hand... and the fact that he's a heavy smoker, smokes Newports in the parking lot before every fight.
On year, on consecutive days he rolled a grappling tournament, fought in an amateur muay thai tournament, and fought at least one amateur mma bout.

I think cigarettes' effects on people who train are somewhat exaggerated.
Way too many examples to point to for it to be flukes (Diesel Shelton, Carlos Monzon, Ricardo Mayorga, at least half of the old chinese masters you see).
I think someone who smokes that doesn't train will have a harder time getting into training than a person who doesn't smoke.

Lucas
07-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Many drugs "benefit" MA, heck many TCMA were either opium addicts or users.
PCP does wonders for your Iron body qigong.
Crack takes your cardio to another level.
Acid makes your "animal totems" come alive !
:D

im taking notes here....