PDA

View Full Version : Correct the Stance

Ghaldszar
07-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Hello

I have been training Wing Tsun for almost a year. (min. 3 days a week, max. 6 days a week, 2 hours for a session in WT class)
I just began training for 4. SG.
The organization I am in, is my second organization. I have problems with balance and footwork because of my stance problem. At my first organisation nothing was told about importance of stance and root. At the duration of passing another organisation that subject was skipped.

First of all
I have stance problem...
namely;
I can’t stand with pelvic tilt move. At one seminar, Chief instructor of my country told me to rest against the wall to train ideal stance. I am doing that exercise to understand how I must stand but when I become distant, Keeping that form becomes so hard. I can’t do stepping and turning moves in that form even if I keep the form while I stand distand of the wall.
Especially at turning stance I can’t control my pelvis, and my butt protrudes instead of pelvis.
So when I can’t keep pelvic tilt form, I can’t keep balance easily.
At the stepping I cant control weight distribution.
By the way
For improve my balance, I often stand and train SLT on my one leg but for those reason I think I cant make any progress.

I also have problem coordination with 2 hand and 2 legs separately at the same time. In this difficulties my stance legs and footwork are completely getting out of control.

Nowadays I read a lot of articles about Wing Chun Stance and importance of body structure and almost every article mention it cornerstone.

It seems My Wing Chun training is based on weak fundament and I want to strengthen it before the die is cast. Which exercises are helpful for me and how do I plan a traning program in and out group training class

Thank you beforehand

---

PS: Sorry for my english if I made a mistake writing in english. That’s my second language and I am not good at explaining What I want to say in great detail. I hope this thread is understandable enough.

t_niehoff
07-22-2009, 07:48 AM
http://www.chusaulei.com/martial/articles/articles_root.html

edward
07-22-2009, 07:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDeWvw7IVlU&feature=channel_page

t_niehoff
07-22-2009, 07:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDeWvw7IVlU&feature=channel_page

That's terrible stuff IMO - a great example of how not to teach WCK.

Liddel
07-22-2009, 04:30 PM
I can’t stand with pelvic tilt move.

Especially at turning stance I can’t control my pelvis, and my butt protrudes instead of pelvis.

I also have problem coordination with 2 hand and 2 legs separately at the same time. In this difficulties my stance legs and footwork are completely getting out of control.

Hello, it seems that after a year you either have a bad instructor or an individual problem, the YJKYM stance shouldn't be too complex to understand nor achieve.

Do you have pre existing back issues etc ?

Regardless of your ability or lack thereof to tuck your pelvis foward the intention of this action for me, is to straighten the spine.

So perhaps you need to strengthen your back muscles to achieve this or perhaps your over thinking it and confusing yourself, its hard to tell from a internet forum...

As far as the rest, co ordination turning the horse etc these all require a good instructor to show you and help you while you practice so we can only help you so far with words, i do think the link Terrence provided (the one after your first post) was a good help.

Good luck.

That's terrible stuff IMO - a great example of how not to teach WCK

I agree to an extent.

What i find interesting about that stance is it doesnt have the knees together which is really the key difference between YJKYM and other stances, nor does it have the kness in the same direction as the toes which IME is important for further extrapolation into front and side stances etc.

The stance shown is more like the standard front stance most use when doing Chi Sau / gor Sau so you could really just drop the isolated stance training and go straight to application in Chi Sau Gor Sau IMO.

DREW

bennyvt
07-24-2009, 02:53 AM
if its flexibility problem stretch his flexors. Make a wobble board, or just stand in stance. I used to do it with weights or vest for strength. Remember until you are strong enough you will tend to have your shoulders in line with your feet. You really need you knees in front of your feet and your back straight, so your waist and back are before your toes. Do a test. Go into the stance, look side on to mirror, are yous shoulders in line with your heels, if so keep the same back position and put one foot forward.. If you leave your shoulders inline with heels your body will be on about 45 degree angle back. Now straighten your back put your hand on something to push and put your foot back.. Your waist will be heaps further forward. You need to be strong to be able to hold that. If your heels are on a wall and your back. You are sitting in your stance and your back angle is wrong.

edward
07-24-2009, 05:52 AM
****s.... no wonder i barely hit this place anymore

Liddel
07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
****s.... no wonder i barely hit this place anymore

Is that because it was you in the clip ?

Dude many people have been questioned here, this is a bit sad just because a few didnt agree with you.

This place is like a good training gym, having a bunch of people that always challenge and beat on you will just make you better and stronger. ;)

jeez :o

Lee Chiang Po
07-25-2009, 09:53 PM
One would have to admit that for a WC forum, this place is full of differing opinions concerning the same. A good stance is all important in Wing Chun. To me anyway. The YGKYM is probably the easiest stance to maintain of all. Most KF stances are too wide and deep. If it pains you it is not a natural stance. To be able to use it effectively it has to be easy to do.
The width of the stance is important. You do the thing where you walk your feet out by moving the toes out to the sides as far as you can, then the heels. This puts your feet about shoulder width apart. That will depend on the size of your feet too. But that shouldn't be a big problem. I am surpised that you were not taught the stance and foot work before all else. This is the problem with teaching sometimes. The teacher tries to start in the middle somewhere rather than at the very beginning. In the beginning this stance is awkward feeling, and applying movement and technique is also awkward from the stance. When I first started my training I did nothing but stance and footwork for a very long time. I stood in the stance all the time, walked and ran in the stance. It became second nature. I pushed and shoved things around, which also set my ability to root. I did a little dance, moving forward, backward, to the sides, ran, walked, did everything from the stance.

edward
07-26-2009, 07:07 AM
typical noob response......t's a stroke

Yoshiyahu
08-06-2009, 04:59 PM
You need to do some stance training and practice your steps.

Footwork training the fun way...

Take time out each day. Maybe twenty minutes to work on your steps you are weak in. Mix it up. Invest in a timer. Set it for twenty minutes. Play some music or wear an ipod. An get to stepping.

Practice your front step and back step along with turning over and over again. Make your way across the floor or ground. Step step and step constantly keep an even pace.

The more structured way is too...

1.Practice front step 50 times
2.Practice Turning 50 times
3.Practice back step step 50 times
4. Practice Side Step 50 times

***Practice atleast six times a week

Yee Gee Kim Yeung Ma training

The Fun way is everytime you watch a sitcom or television be it the news or some other Television show or series that has regular commerical programming. Practice holding your YGKYM through the commericals. If you do this every day your stance will get stronger.

The more structure way would to get a timer and practice holding YGKYM for three minutes at first. Then Five minutes then ten minutes and then fifthteen and twenty minutes and then thirty minutes. Once you get up to thirty minutes try standing on red bricks facing straight up. Start over with timing your self every day.

Your stance should get stronger and your body should adjust so that holding that posture becomes easier.

Please try this for three months and tell me how feel then???

Hello

I have been training Wing Tsun for almost a year. (min. 3 days a week, max. 6 days a week, 2 hours for a session in WT class)
I just began training for 4. SG.
The organization I am in, is my second organization. I have problems with balance and footwork because of my stance problem. At my first organisation nothing was told about importance of stance and root. At the duration of passing another organisation that subject was skipped.

First of all
I have stance problem...
namely;
I can’t stand with pelvic tilt move. At one seminar, Chief instructor of my country told me to rest against the wall to train ideal stance. I am doing that exercise to understand how I must stand but when I become distant, Keeping that form becomes so hard. I can’t do stepping and turning moves in that form even if I keep the form while I stand distand of the wall.
By the way
For improve my balance, I often stand and train SLT on my one leg but for those reason I think I cant make any progress.

Nowadays I read a lot of articles about Wing Chun Stance and importance of body structure and almost every article mention it cornerstone.

It seems My Wing Chun training is based on weak fundament and I want to strengthen it before the die is cast. Which exercises are helpful for me and how do I plan a traning program in and out group training class

Thank you beforehand

---

PS: Sorry for my english if I made a mistake writing in english. That’s my second language and I am not good at explaining What I want to say in great detail. I hope this thread is understandable enough.

russellsherry
08-10-2009, 06:07 PM
hi mate i am slightly disablied i had real trouble with the wing chun footwork, some advice i can give you. first twenty minutes sill limm tao , then forward stepping hands on hips aim for 1000 times with stepping what i mean is move forward with hips forward like your punching but have your hands on your hips slow, down your footwork then have your sifu work on poon sau and stepping with chi sau then when you are ready about 3 months have him slow charge at you use bong sau movement to get out of the way and build this up very very slow hand sparring but this comes later this will help you with you steping dont worry about sparring for few months regards russsellsherry

Yoshiyahu
08-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Ghaldszar Hey did you get any answers you were looking for.