PDA

View Full Version : wah lum praying mantis

goju
07-26-2009, 01:07 PM
hey guys im in colorado and i found about about a wah lum temple praying mantis school
does anybody here train in this particular style of tam tui mantis and can give me some info on the style?

qauntum2
07-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Very structured northern chinese style. It's a mixture of things... some long fist, some shorter type hand strikes, a number of different types of kicks (not just the typical roundhouse, side kick, etc.), and unusual hand strikes. It has a lot of low stances that are difficult when first learned. The forms are very cardio intensive!!!
quantum2 :D

Yao Sing
07-26-2009, 07:48 PM
It's a hybrid system and has elements of Northern and Southern Kung Fu. It has it's share of controversy but it's a good workout, traditional CMA moves geared more towards performance and intense physical ability. If you're looking to fight MMA then there are better choiced.

BTW, it's my primary style.

zhugeliang
07-26-2009, 08:16 PM
yaosing I wouldn't have guessed that from your avatar, I thought wah lum doesn't do spear. I don't see wah lum praying mantis anywhere in Houston but maybe I don't know where i'm looking.

yu shan
07-26-2009, 08:42 PM
Hua Lin does not do spear, that is hilarious. goju, go check the school out, Shifu Eric Bernsdore is a good man and a good kung fu teacher.

ironfenix
07-27-2009, 05:34 AM
doesn't do spear. lol.

zhugeliang - go to American Martial Arts Academy on Westheimer. Sifu Wallace Cupp is there. He is old school wah lum from Boston. If anyone does wah lum in houston its him.

zhugeliang
07-27-2009, 06:26 AM
That's what I thought no spear in wah lum, so yao sing's post was kind of a surprise with that avatar like that. But it's a cool avatar anyway.

ironfeniz I know Westheimer. Thanks for the hint. Will go find that place.

woliveri
07-27-2009, 07:13 AM
Who's the teacher in Colorado?

Wah Lum Spear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvkubz-KE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4x7aup7K_g&feature=related

yu shan
07-27-2009, 08:17 AM
Hey Bill, see my post, Eric is in the Denver area.

I got the opportunity years ago to train a bit with Wallace Cupp, he is good.

woliveri
07-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Hey Bill, see my post, Eric is in the Denver area.

I got the opportunity years ago to train a bit with Wallace Cupp, he is good.

Ahh, I thought it might have been David Simeone.

Yao Sing
07-27-2009, 10:31 AM
David Simione was in Alaska separating from his wife and leaving the Yurt in the Colorado mountain I thought he went back to Colorado but I heard he was living/teaching Taiji at the McAfee estate, the guy that created the anti-virus software.

And Wah Lum does have a few spear sets. The one everyone learns in the curriculum comes from the Lau Gar system so it's just known as Lau Gar Spear. I don't know where the 4 Corners Spear comes from or what else there is at the highest levels.

Also Sifu Eric shattered his ankle in a nasty baseball accident so he has to do things a little different. I don't know if he teaches how he does everything or if he tries to teach the original way even though he probably can't demonstrate it correctly. Other than that he hasa a successful full time school so he's doing something right.

Pork Chop
07-27-2009, 10:38 AM
yaosing I wouldn't have guessed that from your avatar, I thought wah lum doesn't do spear. I don't see wah lum praying mantis anywhere in Houston but maybe I don't know where i'm looking.

If you want to see wah lum there are a few people in texas.
The only official school i know is in clute about an hour south of houston.
There's Jade Mountain Martial arts in Katy texas, think that's where Masher Dong's from.
The kung fu exchange folks do some wah lum sets (Austin, Killeen, Plano, Tyler).
There was one other guy floating around, but forgot his name.

woliveri
07-27-2009, 11:21 AM
David Simione was in Alaska separating from his wife and leaving the Yurt in the Colorado mountain I thought he went back to Colorado but I heard he was living/teaching Taiji at the McAfee estate, the guy that created the anti-virus software.

Yeah, I spoke to David just after I came back from China. He was in Utah at that time, then I heard he came back to Colorado but that's not confirmed. Also, still doing work for the McAfee guy out of the country. What a trip. Can't say his life hasn't been eventful. He told me when he was living in Alaska he would just tell the train driver... Oh, right about here. And he would get off and walk off into the woods. Wow... out there, no contact with anyone, no transportation, phone, nothing. Gotta hand it to the guy for being able to do something like that. I'm an outdoorsman through and through but that's a little too extreme even for me.

Surviorman Dave :)

I don't know where the 4 Corners Spear comes from or what else there is at the highest levels.

You'd have to ask Mimi that since she learned the "Secret Stuff".

zhugeliang
07-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Mimi Chan, you mean? Isn't she still in Florida or what.

And Wah Lum does have a few spear sets.

Ok, so that's clarification. I guess I learn something new everyday don't I.

Yao Sing
07-27-2009, 12:27 PM
As long as you use that knowledge for good and avoid the dark side. :p

yu shan
07-27-2009, 01:48 PM
HA, your friend David sounds like "Richard Proenneke" Twin Lakes Alaska.

goju
07-27-2009, 05:12 PM
thanks guys im more interested in learning a style of mantis geared heavily towards fighting the school here doe slook good though and i still will probably check it out
ive always thought the mantis style was beautiful and becam einterested in it due to their being a mantis form in goju ryu

Yao Sing
07-27-2009, 06:34 PM
That might be interesting to see. If anyone finds a clip please post the link or tape it if you know the set. Doesn't have to be impressive, just show how Goju does the moves.

goju
07-27-2009, 06:36 PM
i havent learned that form yet its a advanced one supposed to have come from praying mantis its called kururunfa
ill find a you tube clip hang on

goju
07-27-2009, 06:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD6PKJ_Quyw
heres the best person in goju to demonstrate it

goju
07-27-2009, 06:40 PM
theres also debate that uechi ryu was influenced heavily by the southern mantis style as well

ironfenix
07-27-2009, 07:24 PM
what part are you in. I don't know how far Sifu Whit is from you but you could also go try Jade Mountain on I10 and mason rd. I forget sometimes that a 15/20 minute drive is nothing in that area.

mantid1
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
Proabably refering to southern mantis. Most of the okinawan/Japenese arts seem to be heavily influenced by the southern chnese styles.

Yao Sing
07-27-2009, 07:43 PM
Wah Lum is Northern Mantis. There's a world of difference between Southern Mantis and Northern Mantis. Totally different systems.

I got sidetracked after watching the link you posted and watched this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD7LH92TDuA&feature=related) and noticed when they brought in the rock to pound on there's no mention of using jow or when piercing the bamboo with the spear hand. This relate to the conversation on another thread.

Goju knows what I mean.

goju
07-27-2009, 07:49 PM
ohyeah ive seen both the mantis styles from north and south and they are night and day in techniques

yup we dont use jow lol kc and tat should see that

zhugeliang
07-27-2009, 08:31 PM
what part are you in. I don't know how far Sifu Whit is from you but you could also go try Jade Mountain on I10 and mason rd. I forget sometimes that a 15/20 minute drive is nothing in that area.

Me? Actually I live in San Antonio but train in Katy - shaolin actually.

masherdong
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Me? Actually I live in San Antonio but train in Katy - shaolin actually.

You train with the Shaolin guys off of Mason and Cimarron Parkway?

zhugeliang
07-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Yep. South Mason road next to Cici's Pizza. Is that what you're asking?

masherdong
07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Yes, we are just up the street. We are on the frontage road where International Billiards Supply is.

zhugeliang
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Ah! We are neighbors. Well, on weekends I guess. But training in Katy is well worth the drive from loathsome San Antonio.

SoCo KungFu
07-30-2009, 10:07 PM
As long as you use that knowledge for good and avoid the dark side. :p

But over here we have cookies

Shaolin Dude
07-31-2009, 10:44 PM
Who's the teacher in Colorado?

Wah Lum Spear:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dtvkubz-KE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4x7aup7K_g&feature=related

what's the names of the 2 spear forms?

Cappadonna
08-05-2009, 07:21 AM
Orlando wah lum!!!

yu shan
08-05-2009, 08:04 AM
orlando wah lum is the name of the spear forms?

CLFNole
08-05-2009, 12:36 PM
The 1st form done by Sean Cochran is called Lok Hop Cheung.

Correction: I believe the name is Lok Gok Cheung not Lok Hop.

As far as the 2nd one it looks like some kind of mix/freestyle set as you can see pieces of the 1st in there.

Shaolin Dude
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
I think the 2nd one is plum flower spear