PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 year old hearth - taitung

uki
07-27-2009, 04:48 AM
wow!! imagine that... history thrown onto it's head. :D

been confirmed as the earliest human relic to have been discovered in Taiwan, Taitung County Government said yesterday.

After a year of investigation and research, the prehistoric archeology research team discovered the hearth at the Basiandong (Eight Deities) Historical Site (八仙洞遺址), which carbon-dating reveals to be 20,000 years old, an official with the county’s Cultural and Tourism Bureau said.

“The sample proves that humans were living in Taiwan more than 20,000 years ago,” the official quoted Tsang Chen-hua (臧振華), deputy director of Academia Sinica’s Institute of History and Philology, who led the research team, as saying.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2009/07/25/2003449498

David Jamieson
07-27-2009, 05:57 AM
This adds to history as opposed to throwing it on it's head.

also, more of an archaeological timeline for human habitation in the area as opposed to "history".

History is a fabrication to begin with and has little to do with anthropological, archaeological and geological timelines as expressed through scientific dating processes.

Science presents truths and history presents perspectives.

Anyway, it has been known that between 40k and 20k years ago, cro-magnon (modern humans) started to entirely dominate the whole planet with our last rivals, the neanderthals being bred out and killed off in the last 10k years of so and the very last of them being done in at the advent of our own written histories.

David43515
07-27-2009, 10:38 PM
This adds to history as opposed to throwing it on it's head.

also, more of an archaeological timeline for human habitation in the area as opposed to "history".

History is a fabrication to begin with and has little to do with anthropological, archaeological and geological timelines as expressed through scientific dating processes.

Science presents truths and history presents perspectives.

Anyway, it has been known that between 40k and 20k years ago, cro-magnon (modern humans) started to entirely dominate the whole planet with our last rivals, the neanderthals being bred out and killed off in the last 10k years of so and the very last of them being done in at the advent of our own written histories.

Are you sure about that? I just read a Scientific American article on the decline of the Neanderthals this weekend, and I was almost certain they said the last of them died out about 28,000 years ago. I could be wrong, it`s not my field of expertise or anything.

David Jamieson
07-28-2009, 03:25 AM
Are you sure about that? I just read a Scientific American article on the decline of the Neanderthals this weekend, and I was almost certain they said the last of them died out about 28,000 years ago. I could be wrong, it`s not my field of expertise or anything.

No one is "sure" about when neanderthal actually died off completely. Some argue our species killed most oft hem off and bred the rest out and assimilated them into our gene pool somewhat.

28000 is too long ago though. There are conflicting numbers depending on who is writing the paper.

David43515
07-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks. It`s always interested me, but like I said I`m not really up on the subject.