PDA

View Full Version : Mantis Tips

Shaolin Wookie
07-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Hey guys.

If anyone has a minute to check out my youtube channel (listed in my sig below), I'd appreciate any tips you could give me with my 7star practice "Bai Yuan Tou Tao."

I don't have the usual foundation in 7 star, so all foundational, basic tips are welcome. Feel free to criticize.:) The only other 7 star practices I have are Cha Chui, which I'm alright at, and the two man set for Bung Bo, which I suck at.

Thanks.

Shaolin Wookie
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
You need to sink into your kneeling stances and cat stances more, and typically pause at the cat stance for a moment before continuing, the cat stances are almost always a good pause point. Also some of your hand motions seemed a little lower on the targeting than I am used to.

I think with some work on the pacing and finding a few good pause points and you could have something worthwhile there. Also work on the cleanliness of motion, Mantis tends to make you want to go real fast and it can start to look sloppy, if you can keep the speed and still keep everything sharp it will look excellent.

Thanks for the tips, man. I do tend to rush through forms, even though I think I know the marker points when I'm doing the form--difference between what you're thinking and what you're doing, LOL. Stances are definately a weak point I saw too. Plan is to work on it for the rest of '09 pretty hard, then compare what I've got now to what I'll have then.

EarthDragon
07-28-2009, 07:10 AM
good set nice flow, one thing I wanted to comment on is your rooting. remember before you punch make sure your feet are rooted. this connects the body to the ground and makes your punches more powerful. seemed to be a lot of transitonary moments that lacked power, but other than that it look pretty good. nice job