PDA

View Full Version : Chengdu, I Love you

enoajnin
07-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Who knew that China had yet to make a Science Fiction film. You would think they would have done it by now. Well, "Chengdu, I love you" is going to fill that void. It's also going to star China's first rock star, Cui Jian. They sure are putting a lot of firsts into this movie.

ROME — "Chengdu, wo ai ni," (Chengdu, I Love You), a collaboration between Hong Kong helmer Fruit Chan and Chinese rockstar Cui Jian, will be the closer of the upcoming Venice Film Festival, which is touting the pic as China's first sci-fier.

"Chengdu," which weaves two tales set in the eponymous Chinese metropolis, one in 1976, the other in 2029, will unspool Sept. 12, out-of-competition, in the Palazzo del Cinema's Sala Grande following the fest's award ceremony.

Fruit Chan is a Venice regular, previously at the Lido with "Durian Durian" in 2000, "Public Toilet" in 2002, when it scooped a Special Mention, and portmanteau pic "Dumplings" in 2004.

Cui Jian is considered the father of rock and roll in China. His records include "Rock 'N Roll on the New Long March," which holds the record for the top-selling album in the Chinese record market, "Balls Under the Red Flag," and "Show Your Color." He duetted with the Rolling Stones in Shanghai in 2006. His anti-establishment feats are recounted in the Zhang Yuan film "Beijing *******s."