PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lay Fut vs. Wing Chun?

Norman Conway
08-01-2009, 06:52 PM
I've heard that there was a Hong Kong rivalry between both systems, Buk Sing had something about it on their website, I was wondering if you guys know how Choy Lay Fut counters the Wing Chun punches? As I understand the idea in Choy Lay Fut is to keep your distance and come in with a machine gun of whipping arms, while Wing Chun is about getting inside in the opponent's center line. How do the fights usually go and how do you combine the styles? Anybody have a video of it?

Norman Conway
08-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Also, what do most of the red poles train in? Do they have red door schools? What kind of street fights do they have? Anybody know what's going on in "Hong" Kong?

cerebus
08-12-2009, 05:39 PM
Can't say for sure how most of the old fights went, but I saw a video of a 1970s Hong Kong full-contact tournament years ago and a Choy Lay Fut guy went through knocking his opponents out with sao choys (long-range roundhouse punches).

htowndragon
08-13-2009, 12:57 PM
where did you see this video? i wanna see it

Violent Designs
08-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Look, defending against "Wing Chun" really depends on the opponent and situation. But there are a lot of things CLF has at the disposal. Even more if the guy cross-train in another fighting style.

I am not worried about most Wing Chun people I fight. Only thing is if they are a lot bigger than me, which is a ****ing problem regardless of the style.

But Wing Chun usually not too many problems all things relatively equal.

cerebus
08-13-2009, 02:54 PM
where did you see this video? i wanna see it

There was a series of vids on Youtube. Unfortunately I haven't seen them there for quite awhile now and haven't been able to find them recently... :(