PDA

View Full Version : Still at it

Ray Pina
08-03-2009, 04:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq9fKZdboos

No excuses, the guy was just tougher than me and I punked out tapping.

Trained six days a week, harder than ever, was ready to overwhelm an amature. Well, turned out this was pro but didn't find that out until I got there. Gringo got un pocito set up. But I learned and saw where I need to go now.

MasterKiller
08-03-2009, 06:19 AM
Good showing, Ray. That kid looked crisp, but you look better in that video than in your previous fights.

Gotta posture up on those triangles. ;)

Ray Pina
08-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Man, that's what's haunting me. I know how to get out of those. Do it all the time... and I just took gold in my division for the whole-island tournament.... I was overwhelmed and took the ***** way out. ****!

GunnedDownAtrocity
08-03-2009, 07:32 AM
good show man.

Pork Chop
08-03-2009, 08:59 AM
what MK said...

that "thinking it's amateur until showing up" thing sounds like the fault of the promoter & is some really fishy business.

Ray Pina
08-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Nothing is so black and white down here.

First I was told it was amateur. But then I was told it was 4 oz gloves, no shin guards and I'd get tickets to sell at $25 a pop and about $100 on top... semi pro.

Then the promoter takes me to the doc with another fighter and then for as **** test. Asks if I think I'll pass. I told him I gave up weed 1.5 months ago and have sweated my ass off since, shouldn't be a problem. He tells me they aint testing for that, looking for roids. Told them I never touched the stuff. He said, good, but if it's a problem one of them can **** for me. The guy I fought here last fall is on the stuff, I know the guy who sells it to him. He fought that night too.

I gave my coach and friends the tickets. They've helped me a lot. One down here helped when everyone wanted to kill me. It was at the meeting they told me elbows were legal and I didn't mind. I like elbows.

Truth, I started getting worried when we weighed in the day before and the guy seemed cool and calm giving me 10lbs like it was nothing. I asked my coach, he said he was a good amateur kick boxer. Then I saw the first match which was kick boxing. No head gear. No shin ****: pro. This 118lbs was kicking like a horse, harder then I can kick and harder then anything I've seen live. The sound of it was scary. And he had an amazing left hook. Very dangerous kid. Then guys start coming back stage battered like mother ****ers.... that's when I lost the fight before it even began. Wasn't ready for that.

Learned some big lessons:
1) Must know height, weight, style and experience of the other guy before agreeing to fight.
2) Must know all the rules at that time.
3) Must receive money in hand upon agreeing to fight.
4) All bull**** (paperwork, promotions, etc.) must be completed no less than 10 days prior to the fight.
5) Any changes to the above and I reserve the right to walk away with cash.

I like my jiu-jitsu coach. He's good and means well and I think he thought he was doing the right thing by keeping me in the dark about some things and thought I was ready.... I've been a terror on the mat and sparring.... but no. I need to know everything as soon as possible. With that said, none of that matters. Two men went in and the better man won.

taai gihk yahn
08-03-2009, 11:17 AM
some observations:

you looked nice and tight on the stand-up; hands stayed where they needed to stay, didn't look like any extraneous movement, a BIG difference between your previous matches; you looked a lot more centered too, not all gung-ho crazy, like you were trying to pick your shots; that said, it seems like you could have been more aggressive, and also used a bit more footwork, he had you backing up most of the time - but frankly, I'm gonna chalk that up to your not being psychologically prepared, because based on what you described, it's to your credit you did as well as you did

overall, it was an object lesson on exactly how not to get suckered into a bad situation - that said, you certainly didn't seem outclassed at all - given the proper mind-set (e.g. - knowing the rule set you needed to train for) I think you would have been twice as competitive, and I think that would have been enough to have won; just a word of advice, unsolicited - I don't know exactly how it all went down, but I would be a bit cautious about whoever you have in your corner - it just seems a bit strange to me that they didn't know what was up, and to let you go in w/out knowing the deal, and that, IMPE, is just wrong - it puts you at a level of risk that is just not acceptable; anyway, maybe I am way off base here, just seems a bit fishy; just saying, maybe I'm wrong;

but overall, you look like a very different cat out there than from all your other fights - I don't know exactly what your training encompasses right now, but it seems like if you found the right person to help you just put it all together, you would experience another quantum leap to where I think you appear to want to be...

well done; keep at it;

Ray Pina
08-03-2009, 12:29 PM
My primary coach is my jiu-jitsu coach but I was training privately with my boxing coach, an ex pro with like 20-something fights. My jiu-jitsu coach informed me about the fight and I think the promoter played the both of us a bit... at least that's the impression I get. Everyone's all smiles and handshakes before and then afterwards your left to limp home alone. Also there's a bit of a language barrier for me but that wasn't the issue. The fact that I'm gringo may have been.

Nasty business. Lesson's learned.

Thanks for the kind words. I've worked harder, 6 days a week, then I ever had before.

sanjuro_ronin
08-07-2009, 09:50 AM
You just re-learned the first lesson taught in the MA:
Don't assume and never underestimate.

Ray Pina
08-08-2009, 05:47 AM
I trained as hard I possible could for that fight. I choked mentally.

Merryprankster
08-08-2009, 08:10 AM
Ray, you did alright, but your lack of experience showed. No offense, just a fact, and I think you'll agree with it.

I'm going to disagree with a lot of the posters here about the stand-up. I think you looked awkward and stiff. Your footwork looked nervous and tentative. Along with that comes the biggest factor in your fight, in my opinion: you failed to control the distance for the majority of it, and allowed him to control it instead. When you let the opponent control the distance, it makes things really hard.

On the ground, it was hard for me to see precisely what was going on. It didn't look like you applied enough pressure against him. I don't mean that in terms of physical pressure, like a hold down, but in terms of staying active, etc.

Basically, I don't think you once ever moved really, to take him out of his game and impose your will. He spent almost no time worried about what you were doing to him, and almost all of his time focused on what he was going to do to you.

None of this is meant to be insulting or disrespectful, just observations from the outside. I know how hard it is to get in the ring.

Good luck!

Lokhopkuen
08-08-2009, 12:32 PM
You look good bro, lots of potential. I just detest this whole cage fighting business....

Ray Pina
08-09-2009, 05:33 AM
Andy Miles, Merryprankster, thank you. I think you're both right.

Ray Pina
08-09-2009, 07:56 AM
You know what, I can say this though? That guy absolutely controlled the space... and he was all attack. Yet, aside from a ****ed up ankle from checking a kick (not felt until after the fight) I was pretty much unscathed, evading, but throwing necessary recovering fire. I was able to close and get him against the fence twice. His defence was strong; wouldn't give up the unders. Was trying to punch out. I was also able to take him down.

I *****ed in the safety position. Taking too long to gear up and go. I could've gotten out of that. I just quit. And I haven't done that in a fight in a while. That's what bugs me.

It's also doubly stoked the fire.

Kansuke
08-09-2009, 06:01 PM
You look good bro, lots of potential. I just detest this whole cage fighting business....

................... :rolleyes:

bawang
08-09-2009, 11:28 PM
good luck i hope u make it into the ufc

sanjuro_ronin
08-10-2009, 06:03 AM
I trained as hard I possible could for that fight. I choked mentally.

It happens to the best of us Bro, do better next time, every fight is a learning experience.

Ray Pina
08-10-2009, 06:18 AM
Honestly, I don't think about the UFC and don't even follow it... I don't have a TV.

For me I found a level of fighting that I can't overcome, so that's my immediate goal as a martial artists. As long as I actively train and haven't retired to a strict life of jiu-jitsu I will push my technique and ability and test it.