View Full Version : 2009 US Open Martial Arts Championship / NYC

Xinyidao
08-04-2009, 10:30 AM
2009 US Open Martial Arts Championship / NYC

Chinese Martial Arts Competition in New York City
Queens Community College

Date: Sunday October 25th, 2009
Registration Fee:
First Event: $50 (Before September 20th)
First Event: $60 (After September 20th or at the door)
Each Additional Event: $10
Spectator Fee: $10

Competing Divisions
1. Long Fist Style (Wushu)
2. Northern Style Kung Fu
3. Southern Style Kung Fu
4. Internal Style
5. Light Contact Sparring & Push Hands
6. Two or More Person Sets

For more information, please visit www.usopenmartialarts.com
Email: usopenma@gmail.com

lkfmdc
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Refresh my memory, is this the one done by the Falun DaFa cult or the cult run by Reverend SY Moon?

I like to keep my martial arts tournaments acting as cult fronts clear in my mind before I boycott them!

B-Rad
08-04-2009, 11:08 AM
That's because it's not a lineage tree of a martial art or a family, it's a lineage tree for an individuals studies. So of course it's going to end with one person ;-)

lkfmdc
08-04-2009, 11:14 AM
I followed the link in the original post, but now that you posted, I see I was wrong, instead it's Li Tai Liang

Anyone remember Li Tai Liang? He's the great guy who took his own students, who had less than 6 months training and put them up against THE BEIJING PROFESSIONAL SAN DA TEAM

Yes, that's right, he threw his OWN STUDENTS into the mouth of the tigers

And as if that wasn't bad enough, in Chinese they not only announced FAKE RECORDS for all his students but they ridiculed the students during the matches

The whole thing was a set up to show "look how great our Chinese champions are and how bad the Americans are"

If you go to this thing and put money in this guy's pocket, wow, shame on you

B-Rad
08-04-2009, 11:20 AM
When was this? :eek:

lkfmdc
08-04-2009, 12:01 PM
When was this? :eek:

http://www.angelfire.com/sd2/kingofsanda/worldsport.html

lkfmdc
08-04-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.ikfkickboxing.com/sanshou01.htm

WEDNESDAY, January 17th, 2001, AT 12:30 PM PT

PROTECTING "TRUE" SAN SHOU!

Special To The IKF: If you are in the New York area you might have heard about an event called "Team USA vs. Team China" being billed as "the best US San Shou fighters vs. the Beijing Institute professional San Shou team". Many believe that this event, being a professional San Shou event, is being promoted by Steve Ventura and David A Ross. They not only run one of the largest San Shou programs in the country, having trained two current national San Shou champions, but they are also one of the top promoters of San Shou including professional San Shou. However, they are NOT involved in this event. And they want the fighting community to know this.

This so called "Team USA vs. Team China" event is being promoted by a company called World Sport USA Inc., a promotion that not a single San Shou program in the United States has ever heard of before. The only thing that is accurate in their advertising so far has been that "Team China" is composed of the professional San Shou team from the Beijing Institute of Physical Culture. These five fighters are all professional, full time San Shou fighters and each have over 40 fights. They may in fact be China's best. So the obvious question is why aren't they facing the best US San Shou fighters?

Until the next official, IWUF recognized, US team trials take place this May the only official "Team USA" is the team that went to the 5th World San Shou Championships in Hong Kong in November 1999. This team includes Cung Le (R- ISKA Pro San Shou Champion), Rudi Ott (IKF Pro San Shou Champion), Al Loriaux, Josh Bartholomew and Chinu Ly. Of these fighters, only Josh Bartholomew is reited, yet not a single one of these fighters is taking part in the World Sport USA event. Clearly, "Team USA" is NOT taking part in this event as advertised.

In the United States, there are also a number of former amatuer San Shou champions who have turned professional. While they are not the official "Team USA" they are certainly members of the nation's best San Shou fighters fraternity. These fighters include Dan Garrett, Mike Altman, Scott Sheeley and Marvin Perry. However, none of these fighters are taking part in the event either!

The event is taking place in New York City. New York City also happens to be the home of several professional fighters who, while their primary style is not San Shou, have indeed fought San Shou style and would be worthy opponents. Moti Horenstein is a professional Muay Thai fighter who also has excellent grappling skills. Peter Kaljivic has fought against members of the Chinese team in China before and has fought under shootboxing rules which are very similar to San Shou. Tom Battone is the USKBA world champion and has a San Shou background. Billy Maysonett is a Muay Thai fighter who has fought in several pro San Shou matches in NYC and is a well known fighter. However, none of these fighters in involved either.

Finally, while the Beijing team is clearly professional, it has not been unheard of for amatuer fighters to face professional fighters in San Shou events. However, once again, the fact is that the nation's best amateurs are not taking part in the event either! The current national amateur champions include Ejovi Nuwere, Albert Pope, Robert Shultz, Robert Franshier, James Cooper, Adam Resnick, Marvin Perry (who won the amatuers a record 5 times and then turned pro) and Adam Caldwell. NONE are involved in the event.

Who is on the team that World Sport USA is calling "Team USA"? Who are these fighters they are calling the best San Shou fighters? Apparently they are students of one of the promoters! In addition, they appear to be people who have never even fought in a San Shou event! So, don't let World Sport USA tell you that they are putting the nation's best San Shou fighters on their card. Don't support an event that so clearly thumbs their nose at both the fighters and the public.

B-Rad
08-04-2009, 07:15 PM
Wow, that's really horrible :(

taai gihk yahn
08-04-2009, 08:15 PM
some fishy stuff:

lumps all internal styles into one division - so basically taiji, bagua and xing yi all judged together... :rolleyes:

also: says that if you didn't do well in your forms division, you can pay $10 right after your performance and get a second try in the same division; WTF is THAT about?

lkfmdc
08-04-2009, 08:16 PM
also: says that if you didn't do well in your forms division, you can pay $10 right after your performance and get a second try in the same division; WTF is THAT about?

why, it's about him making as much money as possible off the unsuspecting of course! :D

taai gihk yahn
08-04-2009, 08:18 PM
why, it's about him making as much money as possible off the unsuspecting of course! :D

that said, is his xing yi / ba gua any good? his school is like 5 min from my house...

lkfmdc
08-04-2009, 08:20 PM
His lineage is supposed to be great
he is supposed to be very skilled
he WAS a coach at the Beijing Physical Culture institute (BIG DEAL)

That being said, I haven't seen him produce a good student since arriving in the US....

taai gihk yahn
08-04-2009, 08:22 PM
His lineage is supposed to be great
he is supposed to be very skilled
he WAS a coach at the Beijing Physical Culture institute (BIG DEAL)

That being said, I haven't seen him produce a good student since arriving in the US....

maybe I'll go check him out, see if he would be amenable to someone peripherally hanging w/him - as in not interested in wearing the silly colored sashes, promoting the glory of his name or drinking the group kool aid (think I can pretty much guess he answer ahead of time)

B-Rad
08-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Plenty of videos of him. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Li+Tai+Liang&search_type=&aq=f

I've got a Bagua video from him. The form work looks fine to me, but it doesn't go any deeper than individual form practice. My bagua knowledge is pretty novice level though.

taai gihk yahn
08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
thanks for the link

the seminar clips look like a meeting of the Mutual Admiration Society - everyone seems to have that "aren't we clever / we are doing the best sh1t ever" grin...

lkfmdc
08-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Got a chance to look at clips a little last night

He is showing the applications of basic Hsing Yi movements

Unfortunately, in this day and age, that seems like something really special! Which is sort of sad. I mean, "hey, BIG NEWS, we're gonna show you applications to the most basic stuff in our system!"

If you go let me know what happens