PDA

View Full Version : TCM Texts, Schools, Teachers?

AdrianK
08-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Does anyone have any information on how I can begin to study TCM?

taai gihk yahn
08-05-2009, 07:15 PM

do you want to do it professionally?

Boston Bagua
08-06-2009, 08:47 AM
Being that I just passed my first year of Acupuncture and Oriental Medical School, let me know how I can be of service.

herb ox
08-06-2009, 05:41 PM
A good start is to read 'The Web Has No Weaver' by Ted Kaptchuk- it's an excellent introduction to TCM.

Some schools in your area include South Baylo University, Samra University, and Yo San University, off the top of my head...

If you want to practice TCM, don't bother with apprenticeship, the State Board makes it really tough to get licensed without attending a four year program.

good luck,

herb ox

woliveri
08-07-2009, 05:54 AM
You could go to Shanghai and study there for probably 25% of what it would cost at any school in California. I have a friend doing that now.

Boston Bagua
08-07-2009, 07:33 AM
I agree with Herb Ox. Most states will make you go to school even if you train in Asia.

Skip it and stay here and get the degree as most schools it is a Masters Degree.

woliveri
08-07-2009, 07:51 AM
I agree with Herb Ox. Most states will make you go to school even if you train in Asia.

Skip it and stay here and get the degree as most schools it is a Masters Degree.

Actually Dale, what Ox was saying was to apprentice with someone. There is the ability to apprentice with someone which would need to be documented with a doctor for so many years. That that would be difficult.

I don't see any TCM Doctors coming from China needing to go to school here to sit for the test.

The program in Shanghai is either 5 or 6 years and is very rigorous. Plus, look at the great culture and experience. I would say no contest there. If I were younger I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Schools here are out of line in terms of cost. I think it's outlandish.

woliveri
08-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Also, a while back I contacted several schools around the country and they had no problem accepting class credits (would need school to school translation (not language)) from China.

TenTigers
08-08-2009, 08:12 PM
http://www.pacificcollege.edu/

they have several locations, and Tom Bisio also teaches his Zheng Gu Tui-Na classes there.

AdrianK
08-09-2009, 05:32 PM
do you want to do it professionally?

No, just seek to understand more about it for personal use. I'm interested in taking my education of it to the highest levels, though I don't see myself ever doing it as a profession.

mawali
08-09-2009, 05:53 PM

It is not difficult but it is daunting and discipline is needed.
1. SELF STUDY
2. APPRENTICESHIP (more difficult)
Ted Kapchuk's book is a great start along with Giovanni Macciocia 's works.

TK Shih out of Boston/Conneticut area had a programme with a well known TCM Hospital (Shanghai Institute of TCM??? I do not recall).

ASSIDUOUS learning and study is the key. Being an apprentice is more than just study. You see, learn, intuit with the teacher and you become his second conscience but that must be backed up with the book knowledge with that insight.

taai gihk yahn
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
No, just seek to understand more about it for personal use. I'm interested in taking my education of it to the highest levels, though I don't see myself ever doing it as a profession.
while I certainly encourage your pursuing it from a perspective of personal interest, without having the experience of clinical patient care, your understanding will not be of highest level - it's like knowing the contents of a house from looking in through the windows - you can see a lot, but not really get the full picture; not to dissuade you, but that's just the reality, IMPE;

mawali
08-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Insight goes a long way hence the apprenticeship or person to person union of understanding a thing more than what the book say. I realize that it is not the way to go but it stil is important in labour related professions as carpenters, bricklayers and such!
Reliance on the book knowledge is one part of many so allowing the ego to dissipate while going behind the knowledge and feeling, sensing and diagnosing is an ongoing event annd never static

AdrianK
08-10-2009, 10:00 PM
while I certainly encourage your pursuing it from a perspective of personal interest, without having the experience of clinical patient care, your understanding will not be of highest level - it's like knowing the contents of a house from looking in through the windows - you can see a lot, but not really get the full picture; not to dissuade you, but that's just the reality, IMPE;

That makes a lot of sense. It definitely gives me a lot to think about regarding taking it to a professional level.

couch
08-12-2009, 05:20 PM

Another option is to do a distant education program as well.

Such as the school I went to that know offers such through Beijing University:
http://www.acatcm.com

Best,
K

Xiao3 Meng4
08-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Great suggestions so far. Ted's book is definitely considered a classic introduction, and Giovanni Macioccia is one of the standard authors used in TCM schools across North America.

If you're looking for entry-level material on the road towards personal practice, I recommend you start with Tui Na and acupressure massage. This is not to say that massage is easier than acupuncture, but it DOES carry less risk, and you can start practicing on yourself, your family and friends right away. Also, it will give you experiential exposure to the meridians and acupoints. Massage is an important component of Die Da (Dit Da) medicine, too, so if you already know or do some of that, the massage will tie in nicely.

AdrianK
08-20-2009, 12:27 AM
Thanks for all of the suggestions, everyone. I appreciate it!