PDA

View Full Version : Gau Choy?

TenTigers
08-04-2009, 04:13 PM
In SPM and Lung Ying, there is a strike called Gau Choy. It is a horizontal downward smashing hammerfist, similar to pek choy, but it uses short power, and no follow through.
Can anyone tell me what the chinese characters are and the meaning of the word,"Gau?" I doubt it is a dog punch, although it does sort of look like how a dog uses his front paws..?

Lai See
08-05-2009, 03:58 AM
Hi, do you mean the strike for instance in Lung Ying Sam Tong Gwo Kiu after Lam Da?

Difficult as always to describe these things with our own words but I think its the same thing.
Because oddly I was always taught it as 'Gau Pek' !!

Not that it helps you any, but there .. :-)

5thBrother
08-05-2009, 04:33 AM
In Chow Gar Tong Long

Gau Choi is a straight Downward hammerfist

Pek Sau is a diagonal Downward (from outside - inward) hammerfist

TenTigers
08-05-2009, 08:05 AM
so, what does gau mean?

chusauli
08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
I'd have to see the characters.

Since it is in Hakka, to see the character for it is necessary.

TenTigers
08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
ah, ok. I was thinking it might mean clever, or crafty?
I will ask my friend's Lung Ying Sifu. I will probably see him this Sunday.

David Jamieson
08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
argentinian cowboy fist?

TenTigers
08-05-2009, 03:38 PM
exactly. which is not to be confused with gau chow-Argentinian food, such as grilled skirt steak, smothered in chimichurri and a pitcher of sangria....

ChukaSifu2
08-05-2009, 04:35 PM
We know it to be an inward from the outside, downward striking back side of the fist strike.(backfist) while driving it thru and snapping it like a whip from the elbow in Chuka SPM. I believe Gau in our dialect means"back of hand fist".

5thBrother
08-06-2009, 07:24 AM
whoops, sorry this is the character for Gau Choi

絞搥

but i dont know how to say it in english

jdhowland
08-15-2009, 01:49 PM
whoops, sorry this is the character for Gau Choi

絞搥

but i dont know how to say it in english

I don't know this one. Anybody have a clue? It looks like gau --to hand over, to share, but with the "silk" radical.

jd

chasincharpchui
08-16-2009, 05:33 AM
ok here is the confusing part

i don't know why they use this silk radical, possibly because, generations ago they weren't as politically correct as we are today, eg. using hand radical for hand radical actions.
And they have chosen not to change it, and use it the way their elders did.

it means "to mix" or "to stir"

jdhowland
08-16-2009, 07:16 AM
...it means "to mix" or "to stir"

Ah! That "gau" is also the first defensive move taught in TWC in the Luhk Lehk set.

Thanks for the clarification, chasincharpchui.

jd

RisingCrane
08-16-2009, 08:56 AM
The reason they use the silk radical is that 'gau' means 'to wind', like winding silk.

jdhowland
08-16-2009, 10:26 AM
The reason they use the silk radical is that 'gau' means 'to wind', like winding silk.

Makes sense. Thanks, D.R.

Our gau sau definitely shows a winding quality, but the technique that TenTigers describes does not, unless it has been abreviated from a previously more circular form. Or it could be that the name became a generic term for certain applications in some southern styles.

jd

TenTigers
08-16-2009, 10:33 AM
when issueing power for this strike, the body uses a series of coiling movements, which can be seen as winding. From the pivoting of the stance, through the hips, waist, rotation of the scapula, and rotation of the forearm/wrist, combined with foa chum tun to, as well as the snap back, the entire body ripples to create the short power.
Winding is a good description-thanx, Brother RC

kismet
08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
I think I have also heard it referred to as

"tiger descends the mountain" . I need to check that though!