PDA

View Full Version : Awaken the Dragon

GeneChing
08-05-2009, 09:42 AM
Remember this thread? Remake Enter the Dragon???say it aint so scooby! (http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47611) I might merge this with that someday....

Korean Pop Star Rain Set to Star in Awaken the Dragon (http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/08/05/korean-pop-star-rain-set-to-star-in-awaken-the-dragon/)
August 5, 2009
Source: Latino Review
by Alex Billington

A few years ago, it was announced that Warner Brothers was remaking Enter the Dragon. This updated version, being directed by "The Shield" producer Kurt Sutter, will be called Awaken the Dragon and is be a contemporized drama about a lone FBI agent who pursues a rogue Shaolin monk into the bloody world of underground martial arts fight clubs. Sutter has been looking an established American actor to play the FBI agent and to discover a "fight star" for the role of the monk. Well, according to Latino Review, they've found their monk - Rain - the Korean pop star and actor who stars in Speed Racer and Ninja Assassin.

"I'm a huge noir fan, and this plot lends itself to the film I want to make," Sutter said of Awaken the Dragon. "I wanted to set it in these underground fight clubs where the action is really raw and expose the brutality of Shaolin kung fu. This will be more Raging Bull than Crouching Tiger in its viciousness." Having seen Ninja Assassin, I can tell you that Rain is definitely a great martial artist. I'm right there with all his Korean fans - I love this guy. I loved him in Speed Racer, I loved him in Ninja Assassin, and I'm sure I'll love him in this, too. As it for being another remake, who really cares, I'll just let Sutter do his thing.

The source piece:

Exclusive: RAIN to Awaken The Dragon? (http://www.latinoreview.com/news/exclusive-rain-to-awaken-the-dragon-7622)
By El Mayimbe on August 04, 2009

El Mayimbe here with a scoop!

About two years ago this month, the trades reported that Warner Independent Pictures has set "The Shield" exec producer Kurt Sutter to write and make his feature directing debut on "Awaken the Dragon."

A noir-style remake of "Enter the Dragon," the 1973 martial arts classic that made Bruce Lee a global star, Sutter said he's writing "Awaken the Dragon" as a contemporized drama about a lone FBI agent who pursues a rogue Shaolin monk into the bloody world of underground martial arts fight clubs.

Sutter will look to discover a fight star in the role of the monk and cast an established American actor to play the FBI agent.

Well, guess what? I think they found their fight star.

You know who Warner Bros. is gung ho on playing the Monk?

According to my confirmed sources…

Korean megastar RAIN!

Now I know what got Megan Fox going gaga over him. Apparently WB is also going gaga over RAIN after what he did for them in ultra bloody and badass "Ninja Assassin."

I just saw "NINJA ASSASSIN" at Comic Con and both Kellvin and I thought RAIN would have been an awesome Storm Shadow in "G.I. JOE: The Rise of Cobra." If Ninja Assassin is any indication, great things are in store for RAIN because his presence is undeniable.

Original film starred Lee as a martial artist who's drafted by law enforcement to participate in a martial arts tournament and infiltrate a drug smuggling operation run from the host's heavily guarded island.

"I'm a huge noir fan, and this plot lends itself to the film I want to make," Sutter said. "I wanted to set it in these underground fight clubs where the action is really raw and expose the brutality of Shaolin Kung fu. This will be more 'Raging Bull' than 'Crouching Tiger' in its viciousness."

Interesting.

Stay tuned as more develops.

Lucas
08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
im actually starting to like the sound of this. if its not a carbon copy try it could go over really well. especially if there is a spotlight on shaolin kungfu.

could be very good.

i could see a rogue, violent, shaolin warrior monk character living it up in underground, gritty fight clubs, being a really well done character, if it all comes together right.