PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis Cross Training

Hieu Nguyen
05-31-2001, 09:40 PM
I am new to studying Praying Mantis, currently I study Seven Star, but only am able to study 2 hours per week with my instructor due to his busy schedule.I know most schools train 3-4 times per week and classes usually lasting about 2 hours.
But, I have the opportunity to also study Tai Mantis to enhance my training during the week with another instructor.
Would you recommend this way of training with two different instructors in two differen Mantis styles? :rolleyes:

NPM
06-06-2001, 03:24 AM
I see that no one answered your questions, so I decided to give you my opinion since you asked this question in another thread.

As a practitioner of both mantis branches (7* of Law Gwong Yook and Tai Chi Mantis of Chiu Chuk Kai lineage) I would not suggest studying two different branches of mantis concurrently. Aside from two different teachers having two different teaching methods, the two different branches also have different approaches.

There are some forms both styles share such as Bung Bo, Lahn Dzeet, Bhat Zhao, and etc. And while the sequence for both branches are largely the same, there are differences in punching, footwork, techniques, postures and flavor of the forms. Take an example like posture. Both branches have tiew jeurng in tiger riding stance or on guard stance and mantis catching the cicada, but the way they are executed are different in both. I suggest you concentrate on learning from one teacher first before learning from another. Otherwise, you will get confused as to who and what to believe.

On the other hand, both branches share the same theories (mantis fighting theories). If you are able to stay long enough to complete one system and then learn the other one, you will get the most out of mantis. Just like I mentioned earlier, they both have different approaches. Both concentrate on different aspects in fighting. You will get a more complete and much better understanding of the mantis system and fighting strategies. In my school, I teach mainly the forms of the 7* Law Gwong Yook lineage but as far as teaching fighting techniques are concerned, I group both systems together and teach both at the same time.

Good luck,

NPM

Hieu Nguyen
06-06-2001, 04:06 AM
very helpful. Thanks