PDA

View Full Version : Best Diet/Nutrition book?

BlueyedBoxer
08-11-2009, 08:06 AM
Hello this is my first post on kungfuforums. One thing I need for my training and health is to work on my nutrition. So I was wondering what you guys think are the best diet/nutrition books. I'm looking for a diet book I can fellow for life NOT a fad diet thing! Thanks in advance :)

Pork Chop
08-11-2009, 09:18 AM
probably the zone diet book.
not really a diet, so much as a method for teaching you how to get the right portions of stuff on your plate by eye.
doesn't have you don't anything crazy, just common sense stuff like shopping on the edges of the grocery store instead of the aisles down the middle (ie you want to eat the food that has the potential to "go bad", which means stuff in nature eats it too).

mawali
08-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Hello this is my first post on kungfuforums. One thing I need for my training and health is to work on my nutrition. So I was wondering what you guys think are the best diet/nutrition books. I'm looking for a diet book I can fellow for life NOT a fad diet thing! Thanks in advance :)

Diet book may not be the right choice of words but it is better to look at the nutritional content and degree of said content since many people use fast foods as the rule.
The recent book I can recall is "Secrets of an Alkaline Body" by Annie Padden and David Jubb. More of a concept tool as opposed to diet and nutrition but they reference biology as a central concept in food choices and the lack of vitamins in processed food(s).

Lee Chiang Po
08-11-2009, 02:00 PM
Day to day healthy nutrition requires you make it a life style rather than a diet. You have to be conscious of everything you put into your mouth. We have been taught by our governments as well as our health industry that we need to eat from the 5 food groups equally and that we need to cut out red meats and fats. However, it has recently been learned that this is not a fit diet for a human being. You have to remember that we have been around for millions of years, and as we evolved we were hunter/gatherers. We did not have the convience of a local grocery store. Without the benefit of modern technology we did not have certain items on a regular basis. Grains were not grown in huge quantities so breads were not available until the aggricultural revolution. Sugars were only available from fruits and such. Now, here is something you should know. Fats that you consume will not makes fats on your body. It is digested by uric acids, or liver bile. It is used for fueling the body and the proteins go toward that and repearing the body. Carbohydrates are digested by insolin. It converts to triglycerides and also fuels the body. This excess of triglycerides store up in little sacks around on the body. You get fat. We are allergic to proteins. Such as peanuts, which can kill some people if they come into contact with them. Vegetable proteins are foreign to the human body and we were not meant to consume them in large quantities. If we eat out of the grocery stores we are most likely eating way more than the body was supposed to handle. Fish, fowl, meats, both game and domestic, provide you with all the animal fats and fatty acids you need, and you can eat a variety of green and leafy vegetables without a problem. Breads, pasta's, processed sugars, up to 12 teaspoons of processed sugar in one canned soda, potatoes and rice in large quantities and a bunch of other stuff will cause your insulin to spike and it all turns to fat. Vegetables that contain large amounts of protein, beans, which are actually seeds, and several others high in protein will cause an eventual auto immune system problem. Diabetes, arthritis, and several other diseases that we consider adult onset are actually auto immune system diseases. Most likely brought on by our modern diet. Contrary to modern thought, you can not live on carbohydrates alone, such as being a vegetarian. The vegetable proteins will cause your body to attack itself eventually, and you will indeed die. However, one can eat meat alone and remain fairly healthy throughout life. The eskimo, and some south sea islanders eat nothing but meat and sea food. The eskimo eats mostly the blubber from their catch. Heart disease and diabetes were unheard of until recent times, after they were introduced to the well rounded diet. Your worst enemy is processed sugars and anything that is made with it's use. If you stop using it and even stop eating bread and potatoes you will see yourself lose fat and become more fit.

Pork Chop
08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
LCP
i think you're giving potatoes a bad rap
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=48

I don't know that legumes are all that bad either, comprising a large portion of the european diet for the last 8,000+ years.

every week it seems like some new food is "teh evil".
years ago it was saturated fats, then carbohydrates, transfatty acids, sugars, etc, etc etc.

waistlines on Americans have really been exploding just the last 50 years or so.
i think it's probably not a bad idea look at what we have been eating recently versus then.

i don't think anything grown naturally is a bad thing

Vash
08-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Well, I'm kinda writing a diet/nutrition ebook . . . And about tog et the pictures for a few articles I've been working on for the magazine . . .

Oso
08-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Sport Nutrition
Jeukendrup/Gleeson
ISBN: 0736034048

textbook like format and kinda dry reading but it has the data, not the opinion.

Lee Chiang Po
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
If you ever get a chance to get it, Neanderthin is a book that can tell you all about it. It is all backed up by research.
As we evolved as hunter gatherers we ate meat and fish primarely. Gathering consisted of some roots, nuts, fruits, and insects and their grubs. Potatoes and grains were not grown in large enough amounts to be eaten regularly. Type 2 diabetes did not exist around 1900, and it is directly connected to processed sugar use. Other auto immune system diseases can be cause by the vegetable proteins of these foods that are rather new on the scene. Say in the past 10,000 years or so. In the scope of things that is not long at all. This is the reason we are obese in this country. The land of plenty, which means plenty of whatever it is that makes us ill. the fast food industry is going to kill off everyone eventually.

bawang
08-18-2009, 11:53 PM
hey lee chiang po i really disagree with you
i tried eating only meat for a few days and i was really constipated and the trip to the toilet was very painful lol

i think everyone needs to find their own best diet and not follow a book. and i think unless youre training to be a proffesional fighter or wants to build monster muscles diet isnt really impoartant, just eat a salad and a piece of chicken a some bread and rice and fruits