PDA

View Full Version : Ping choy

mig
08-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Any opinions about ping choy as a direct front punch. In the real world today, I've never seen someone shooting a straightforward punch in the beginning of a fight or street fight. I usually see demos where you always see this kind of scenarios. If I block and punch I may see say that direct forward punch or ping choy may sense. Any opinions or additions.

Thanks,

Mig

hskwarrior
08-14-2009, 03:47 PM
i guess you've never thought of an intercepting or blocking hand before launching the Ping Ang Choy?

Asmo
08-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Or a jab (firepunch) followed by ping choi.

TenTigers
08-15-2009, 06:44 AM
grab and ping choy, gwa/ping, been/ping, etc. we use all of these successfully.
Even a simple biu as an intercept-or "block" and ping-which several of my students have used in encounters with total success. Basically, someone swung, they instinctively pu up their lead hand and nailed the guy in the face with the rear.
We also use the lead hand as a "screen." Meaning, you push your hand in the guy's face (which can turn his head, or turn into a hair grab) and pummel his face.
Using it as a single technique is rare, usually as a counter when someone is coming in.
These are very basic, bread & butter techniques, and are highly effective.
The problem is, as we learn "cooler stuff," we no longer practice our simple things.

Beginner (TKD and other styles that use alot of kicks)students pick up a crescent kick usually quite easily. So when they spar, beginners throw alot of these, along with front kicks. Later, as they learn more advanced "cool stuff" like the side, hook, spinning kick , etc, they stop throwing the crescent kick.
Years later, they have forgotten it. That is also the time when they get hit with it. The most unsuspected, basic technique, usually catches them unaware.

Violent Designs
08-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Like jabs and roundhouse kicks.

mig
08-15-2009, 01:25 PM
are all ping choy the same in southern styles? Or are they called differently or performed diferently?

Thanks,

Mig

Mano Mano
08-15-2009, 02:20 PM
are all ping choy the same in southern styles? Or are they called differently or performed diferently?

Thanks,

Mig

Ping choi, is only a name for a fist strike. It’s used by most Chinese martial arts both northern & southern & none Chinese martial arts as well.

Asmo
08-16-2009, 12:41 AM

Its done very differently even between hung kuen lineages ;)