PDA

View Full Version : finished the dummy

bennyvt
08-15-2009, 04:05 AM
after 11 years and hours of practicing the same thing over and over i just finished learning the end of the dummy today. Still got many hours of training to get it right but i am very exited.

k gledhill
08-15-2009, 05:50 AM
that's a long time...congratulations. attack / defense arm cycling

chusauli
08-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Just completed the set?

That's a beginning! Not an ending!

Yoshiyahu
08-17-2009, 03:45 PM
No one every really knows Wing Chun. Your art is a life Journey. Your forever learning and growing. So don't seek to just learn Kung Fu. Live Kung fu.

My Wing Chun is a way of Life. So is chainpunching your face.

Hendrik
08-17-2009, 04:41 PM
No one every really knows Wing Chun. Your art is a life Journey. Your forever learning and growing. So don't seek to just learn Kung Fu. Live Kung fu.

I dont buy these type of New Age Wisdom .

If fact,

That is false and misleading.

One must know the fundamental WCK he have learn within the first three years.

And after that is a fine tune phase. Fine tuning has no end.

However, that is not NO ONe every really knows Wing Chun. This is because how the heck one perfecting one's skill if one has NO idea what is what? How the heck one live something one has no clue?

In Chinese, there is a term called Blind cultivating and Blind training. That is exactly what it is doing something one is clueless.

sanjuro_ronin
08-18-2009, 05:20 AM
MA are physical endevours and it shouldn't take anyone very long to become proficient in them.
Like Hendrick said, fine tuning can last a life time.
Typically because as we grow older we must refine our basics to suit our needs and abilities.
Even the most difficult of physical activites ( And MA don't fall into that category) are able to be done in a relatively "quick" time, certainly nothing that requires years and years and years.

bennyvt
08-18-2009, 06:44 AM
the way yt works the first things he done properly should be all you need. I found going to hk and china that just because you knew more notes didnt mean you could make them work.

couch
08-19-2009, 06:23 AM
MA are physical endevours and it shouldn't take anyone very long to become proficient in them.
Like Hendrick said, fine tuning can last a life time.
Typically because as we grow older we must refine our basics to suit our needs and abilities.
Even the most difficult of physical activites ( And MA don't fall into that category) are able to be done in a relatively "quick" time, certainly nothing that requires years and years and years.

True that. I perhaps have said this before, but I look at how other combat arts operate. You can get your ring time in about a year...so WCK shouldn't be any different. I think if someone's putting in the work, they should be able to bang within a year's time.

Best,
K

grasshopper 2.0
08-20-2009, 01:22 AM
How many hrs in that year? I think it takes longer generally but many think a year (of like typical 6 hrs/week training) is enough and get their arses whipped when they enter the ring

bennyvt
08-20-2009, 03:44 AM
the last years due to bill being in china and me with three kids and job i only get a couple me hours a day to train. Was doing eight to ten hour days. Its not about being able to fight. I got into them before i started and a few years after. You should be able to fight after slt and some foot work. As this is an open skill it is easy to do the moves alone but against someone is different. We teach the first bits really slowly cause if its done right you dont need the latter stuff. I have been taught slower as bill has been hard on me because i an supposed to teach and i an also about five foot two inches so it has to be good to work. Most people learn so east they cant do what they know. Vt relies on learning reflexes that cant be gotten without the hours, doesnt matter imy many years. Can you do it matters. I find especially those that have changed styles they can mentally tell what they should do but without the hours to get the reflexes its a do what i say as they do what they have done before just the information has changed.

grasshopper 2.0
08-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Ya I agree. Anyone can learn the set/forms but of it, what can they apply?? I'd rather learn 3 moves and be able to use em, rather than 108 or 116 just for show.

I'm sure many on here have run into people that know the sets but can't even punch something/one hard without themselves bouncing back...

Who cares if u know the dummy form if u can't even punch?

Tom Kagan
08-21-2009, 01:58 PM
You're so excited that you started this thread? You learned to type - big ****ing deal. What next? Do you print this thread out so your parents can hang it on the frig? ;)

AdrianK
08-22-2009, 12:07 AM
I dont buy these type of New Age Wisdom .

If fact,

That is false and misleading.

One must know the fundamental WCK he have learn within the first three years.

And after that is a fine tune phase. Fine tuning has no end.

However, that is not NO ONe every really knows Wing Chun. This is because how the heck one perfecting one's skill if one has NO idea what is what? How the heck one live something one has no clue?

In Chinese, there is a term called Blind cultivating and Blind training. That is exactly what it is doing something one is clueless.

I was going to reply to Yoshiyahu and that new age hippie bull****.

But you basically just said it. Good post hendrik. :D