PDA

View Full Version : Making a cheap kicking pad

Wongsifu
10-28-2001, 06:17 PM
do any of you guys know how to make a cheap super absorbent kicking pad,

I have the normal foam pads and tried the super soft foam pads for absorbency etc , but the thing is i need something that is more absorbing and doesnt hurt the person holding it, i tried making something with springs inside it , so the springs tkae the impact but the force is still transferred to the person.
I cant afford to order one of those air pads or long pads as they would cost a bomb with the shipping, and my country doesnt sell such professional stuff and even if i could find a place that does it would want like 120$$ for a normal sized air pad.

I was thinking about buying canvas and making a long square pad and filling it with towels and foam but i thought before i experiment any more maybe someone could help

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Jaguar Wong
10-28-2001, 07:17 PM
do you kick like a jack hammer, or do you train with sissies :p j/k. If you don't want the force to go through to the person holding the pad, I think you may want to put a solid flat surface toward the back of the pad (like some strong thin wood), then put a little more padding between the holder and that layer. So now when you hit the pad, the force won't penetrate and drive right through. But if you break the wood... :eek: That's just more of a quick easy way.

Here's another idea. Put a sandbag layer inside the pad on the side your partner holds. The force will be distributed through the sand if the layer is thick enough. It makes the pad heavier though. You might be able to use beans, or some other kind of pellet-like filling if you don't want is as heavy.

Jaguar Wong

Badger
10-28-2001, 07:22 PM
1.Make a bag out of the canvas.If you have access use a heavy duty sewing machine ,like maybe go to a place that makes matresses get them to make it for you.Get them to put a zipper in the back.Have them sew on straps for you.
2.Put in a foam pad.Then stu ff towels & rags super tight in front of the foam.
3.Have your partner hold the bag in a preying mantis type position in front of his stomach.This will help him take contact.If it is too much for him find a partner who isn't a wuss.;)

Badger

Support Th e Economy. Buy A Gun.

IronFist
10-28-2001, 11:53 PM
check eBay :)

Iron

LEGEND
10-29-2001, 12:26 AM
THAI BOXING PADS.

A

Daedalus
10-29-2001, 12:38 AM
Go to an Army surplus store and buy a used, but still in good shape duffle bag.

Next, get a large truck tire inner tube.

Fold the inner tube in half and put it down in the duffle bag and fill the inner tube up with air. It should still remain folded in half when filled.

Fill in the empty spaces in the duffle bag with old rags, packing foam, whatever!

Close the top of the duffle bag and start kickin!

Mine works great. And most duffle bags already have straps on them that you can use to hold when someone else is kicking. The tire inner tube pressure can be increased or decreased if more or less padding is needed.

:)

JWTAYLOR
10-29-2001, 12:39 AM
Cool idea.
JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Wongsifu
10-29-2001, 12:55 AM
hi guys thanks for the replies,
unfortunately i scoured e-bay they havent got what i want.
jaguar i did that thing with the wood already in one of my contraptions with the springs and it doesnt work....

i have those thai pads theyre leather rite ... no good ...

badger i was thinking along those lines but didnt know if towels are absorbent etc...

BUt ... man i think you hav egot it i was looking at how to make something with air in it that wouldnt explode and a tractor tyre inner tube is perfect !!! thanks :) :) :)

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Paul Skrypichayko
10-29-2001, 02:50 AM
Rags are good (as everyone is suggesting), and you can make it pretty dense and hard, or pretty loose and soft. You can also try newspaper, which is heavier and harder, or you might want to experiment with sand and sawdust. I've heard of British and American boxers using those in small bags, and bags as large as 250 pounds (115kg).
If that's not hard enough, get a tire from farm equipment/construction equipment/large trucks.

X_plosion
10-29-2001, 05:04 PM
A couple of years back, a policeman named
Mike Young, who is also a martial artist wrote a couple of articles regarding making your own training equipment. These were published in Karate/Kung Fu Illustrated Magazine. While I don't exactly remember if he gave instructions for making the pad you want, there were directions on how to build various pieces of equipment at a low cost. He also wrote a book on the subject. Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that one. If you are able to obtain copies, you might find something you like.

A webpage I found, that has a review of the book. (http://www.familyhaven.com/bookstore/martialarts/08048317OXAMUS192026.shtml)

LEGEND
10-30-2001, 12:43 AM
please explain whass wrong with the products from fairtek??? what type of kicks are u practicing???

A

JWTAYLOR
10-30-2001, 12:47 AM
If you live on a little island off of Greece, getting pads from Fairtex is some kinda pricy.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV