PDA

View Full Version : Dancing with the Stars

GeneChing
08-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Dacascos I could see, but Lidell? Wow.

Newest 'Dancing' celebs announced (http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/entertainment&id=6968473)
Monday, August 17, 2009 | 11:32 AM

NEW YORK -- Former Republican Majority Leader Tom DeLay will join 15 celebrities from the worlds of entertainment and sports in kicking up their heels on the new season of "Dancing With the Stars.

Other hopefuls include entertainer Donny Osmond; singers Mya, Macy Gray and Aaron Carter; actors Melissa Joan Hart, Debi Mazar and Ashley Hamilton (son of George); models Joanna Krupa and Kathy Ireland; reality stars Kelly Osbourne and Mark Dacascos ("the Chairman" on Food Network's "Iron Chef America"); mixed martial artist Chuck Liddell; professional snowboarder Louie Vito; Olympic swimmer Natalie Coughlin; former Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin and the 62-year-old former congressman from Texas.

The contestants were announced on Monday's "Good Morning America" by "Dancing" host Tom Bergeron. He also unveiled a new competitive twist.

"In the middle of our season, over three weeks, we're going to have double eliminations," said Bergeron. "We'll lose about half of our cast within that period. It will be a ballroom bloodbath."

Samantha Harris returns as co-host, with the panel of judges including ballroom judge Len Goodman and dancer-choreographers Bruno Tonioli and Carrie Ann Inaba.

The ninth season of the hit ABC show premieres Sept. 21.

Mark Dacascos
Famously known as "The Chairman" and host of Food Network's "Iron Chef America," Dacascos is also a trained martial artist as well as actor. Born in Honolulu, Hawaii, Mark's passion for martial arts began at an early age under the tutelage of his parents who are both former national champions and teachers. After being discovered in San Francisco's Chinatown, Mark began to establish a film and television career playing not only martial artists but a wide range of characters before joining "Iron Chef America" in 2005. He has appeared in several feature films including the internationally acclaimed French epic, "Brotherhood of the Wolf," the cult classic "Only the Strong," "Cradle to the Grave," opposite Jet Li, "Only the Brave," "Nomad" and "The Lost Medallion," which is scheduled to be released later this year.

Chuck Liddell
Chuck Liddell is the face of the Ultimate Fighting Championship, and the icon of Mixed Martial Arts -- the fastest growing sport in America. In 1998, he won his first UFC Mixed Martial Arts fight. Soon after, Liddell rose through the ranks to become the light-heavyweight champion of the world. In July of 2009, Liddell was inducted into the UFC Hall of Fame. He is tied for the most wins by a UFC fighter with 16, and also holds the most knockout wins with 10. In 2008, Chuck penned his autobiography, "Iceman: My Fighting Life," which quickly became a New York Times bestseller. Chuck earned a BA in Business/Accounting from Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, where he also wrestled.

Oso
08-17-2009, 11:02 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dancing_with_the_Stars_(U.S._season_9)

AND Mark Dacascos...too funny.

Oso
08-17-2009, 01:49 PM
******.... i checked all the other forums first....except the pop culture one...

:rolleyes: just goes to show how much i pay attention to 'pop culture' ...my girlfriend had to tell me about chuck...and she doesn't know mma...

Oso
08-17-2009, 01:52 PM
Dacascos I could see, but Lidell? Wow.

maybe the reference to 'ballroom bloodbath'?

personally, i think it's some scheme further the tired ass argument of 'TMA vs. MMA' ;)

i told my girl that I'd sit through this if she sat through this season of TUF :D

GeneChing
09-01-2009, 01:03 PM
Hate to say it but I might just have to tune in this season.

Chuck Liddell Stops By TMZ (MySpace Exclusive) (http://www.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&VideoID=62650553)

jethro
09-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Someone had an idea on kungfucinema.com that with Dacascos on the show, how about getting people like Chuck Norris, Seagal, Rothrock... I would be glued to the TV.

GeneChing
09-17-2009, 09:53 AM
Now that's reality TV....

DeLay challenges martial arts fighter on 'Dancing with Stars' (http://thehill.com/blogs/twitter-room/other-news/59005-should-he-really-challenge-this-guy)
By Jordan Fabian - 09/16/09 11:32 AM ET

As House Majority Leader, Tom DeLay (R-Tex.) seldom backed down from a challenge. He seems to be showing that same attitude with his appearance on "Dancing with the Stars."

DeLay, who is nicknamed "The Hammer," took to Twitter on Wednesday to "dis" mixed martial arts fighter Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell, who will compete against DeLay on the ABC reality show:

Hey Twinkle Toes @ChuckLiddell how's the dancing coming along? Cant wait for the Hammer and the Iceman to hit the stage.

This season of "Dancing with the Stars" premiers September 21.

For DeLay's sake, we hope things stay civil:

Oso
09-21-2009, 05:27 PM
poor Chuck...if he had only done more forms...

Oso
09-21-2009, 05:37 PM
and Dacascos needs to stfu about being a 'fighter'

GeneChing
09-22-2009, 09:40 AM
Oh man... there's vid on this link... :rolleyes:

2009 Dancing With The Stars cast: Mark Dacascos a kung fu fighter and dancer (http://www.examiner.com/x-10507-LA-Dancing-Examiners~y2009m9d21-2009-Dancing-With-The-Stars-cast-Mark-Dascascos-a-kung-fu-fighter-and-dancer-video)(video)
September 21, 11:33 PMLA Dancing Examiners Ian Ono and Jana Monji

Mark Dacascos and Lacey Schwimmer tried something a little different to show off the Honolulu-born Dacascos' martial arts ability. Dancing the cha cha cha to Carl Douglas's "Kung Fu Fighting" Dacascos mixed dancing poses with martial arts stances.

Dacascos was dressed in a black satin tunic and pants with red trim and Schwimmer had on half a red hapi jacket/dress (only one sleeve) with a black sparkling bra top peeking out.

The rebel on the dance floor Schwimmer told Dacascos she wanted the dance to "showcase your strength as a martial artist, but show case that you can dance" as well.

Dacascos had fluid arm motion, good turns and good spotting. He smiled and played to the audience. He has flexibility and some natural dance ability.

Carrie Ann said, "I loved the Asian theme" but she thought the arms were a bit too wu shu and not enough ballroom.

Len as you can imagine was not a great fan of the theatricality or gimicks dance and admonished," I don't want to see kung fu." Len thought Dacascos had good hip action and rhythm, but found the footwork a bit dodgy.

Bruno thought there was some problem with timing. Backstage, Dacascos said Schwimmer "wants me to show my man-boobs" and yes, we want to see them.

His score was 7-7-7 for a total of 21. That would leave him in second before the relay dances.

doug maverick
09-22-2009, 09:53 AM
mark should have a natural ability in dancing. martial artist automatically have that fluidity needed to be a good dancer from years of practice. i think going with the kung fu angle was cheesy. should've done something else.

mickey
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Greetings,

My money is on Mark Dacascos. I hope he does not get paired with Cheryl Burke. It is my opinion that she ruined her partner's chances of winning last season with a cheap choreography.....only because he would not give her any. And the guy was married. I used to think that she was MAD HOT until last season's antics.

mickey

GeneChing
09-29-2009, 09:21 AM
There's vid on this link.

Chuck Liddell does the tango on 'Dancing With the Stars' (http://www.newsday.com/sports/mixed-martial-arts/fightin-words-1.811935/chuck-liddell-does-the-tango-on-dancing-with-the-stars-1.1483716)
Monday September 28, 2009 10:05 PM By Mark La Monica

Chuck Liddell made it through the Week 2 of "Dancing With the Stars" with partner Anna Trebunskaya. This week, he performed the tango, and finished it off with a classic "Iceman" move.

For his effort, the judges gave him a 19. Watch and judge for yourself, for as long as YouTube keeps the clip up. You can vote for Liddell here, or call 800-VOTE4-02. AT&T Wireless customers can text the word "VOTE" to 3402.

Oso
09-29-2009, 01:06 PM
it was kinda hilarious to watch...he looked like he was about to fight with that stare...but, that chick judge apparently wet her panties during the performance the way she was wringing her hands and talking about it afterwards.

i'm still trying to decide amongst the women:

Mazar is def #1 closely followed by Hart amongst the 'stars'

the little hottie paired with the snowboarder is #1 followed by Chuck's girl

GeneChing
11-25-2009, 05:26 PM
First Dacascos pwns Liddell. Now Donny Osmond pwns both of them?!? Oh man, this show sucks big time.

Wednesday, November 25, 2009
Donny Osmond wins 'Dancing with the Stars' (http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/tv/2009/11/25/11921936.html#/entertainment/tv/2009/11/25/pf-11920146.html)
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Last Updated: 25th November 2009, 10:37am

NEW YORK — Donny Osmond was declared the new champion of “Dancing With Stars” on Tuesday night, taking home the show’s mirror ball trophy in the season finale of the ABC contest reality program.

Osmond, the former teen pop star of the singing Osmond family, said the show has been a highlight in a career of ups and downs.

“I did it!” Osmond exclaimed. He promptly rushed to the audience and plucked out his wife, Debbie, whom he carried across the stage.

Helping push Osmond over the top was the tango he performed Tuesday with his professional dancing partner, Kym Johnson. Judge Carrie Ann Inaba hailed it as “artistry in motion.” It earned the top score of the final performances.

Three celebrities made it to the finale of the show’s ninth season — Osmond, Mya and Kelly Osbourne, the daughter of Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne. The show picks a winner with a combination of judges’ scores and viewer votes.

Mya entered as the favourite, having won the highest scores on Monday’s show. Dancing with Dmitry Chaplin, she performed a jive.

“I’m just so happy to have made it to the finals,” Mya said after the loss.

The 30-year-old singer is most famous for collaborating on the Grammy-winning hit “Lady Marmalade” from the soundtrack of 2001’s “Moulin Rouge!”

Osbourne was the first of the three eliminated.

With her famous family — Ozzy, Sharon and Jack — looking on, Osbourne and professional partner Louis Van Amstel danced to a cover of Ray LaMontagne’s “Trouble.” The 25-year-old was clearly moved and began crying after her last dance.

She thanked the audience and said she had “grown so much“ during the show. Co-host Samantha Harris said Osbourne had become “a swan.”

The finale culminated a season of good ratings for “Dancing With the Stars,” which consistently ranked as one of the most-watched shows of the fall.

The contestant who grabbed the most headlines, former Congressman Tom DeLay, had to withdraw in the third week of competition because of stress fractures in both feet. A healed DeLay returned Tuesday night to dance the Texas two-step routine he had hoped to perform.

All former contestants returned, including former Dallas Cowboys receiver Michael Irvin, who performed a dance-off to the theme of “Monday Night Football” with another NFL receiving great, Jerry Rice, who was a contestant on the second season of “Dancing With the Stars.” The judges declared Rice the winner.

Pop singer Aaron Carter, voted off this season, performed a dance to the theme of “The Muppet Show.” Animal took the drums, while Miss Piggy lurked backstage.

Mistakes on the dance floor weren’t the only missteps of ABC’s live broadcast. At the top of the show, as highlights from Monday’s show ran, the video froze on shot of Miss Piggy, prompting host Tom Bergeron to remind viewers that the broadcast was live and send the show to an early commercial break.

Whitney Houston also made a guest appearance to perform her “Million Dollar Bill” and the fitting “I Wanna Dance With Somebody.”

Gymnast Shawn Johnson won last season’s “Dancing With the Stars.”

ABC can expect high ratings for Tuesday’s finale. Last week’s results show attracted an audience of 16.2 million.

GeneChing
03-02-2016, 10:01 AM
'Dancing with the Stars' season 22 cast news 2016: Model, MMA fighter, famous '80s star to dance for Mirror Ball trophy? (http://www.christiantoday.com/article/dancing.with.the.stars.s22.casting.news.model.mma. fighter.famous.80s.star.to.vie.for.mirror.ball.tro phy/80814.htm)
Shiena Bernardino REPORTER 02 March 2016

More names had been included in the list of celebrity contestants in "Dancing with the Stars" season 22.

http://d.christiantoday.com/en/full/43665/dancing-with-the-stars-season-22.jpg?w=760&h=281&l=50&t=40
facebook.com/dancingwiththestars

One of the rumored additions to the next lineup of contestants in the long-running reality dance competition is activist/model Nyle DiMarco. The most recent winner of Tyra Banks' "America's Next Top Model," the deaf activist is rumored to be trading the runway for the ABC dancefloor to join "Fuller House" star Jodie Sweetin in vying for the coveted Mirror Ball trophy.

PureDWTS revealed that the winner of "America's Top Model" cycle 22 will be partnered with pro dancer Peta Murgatroyd. To help them communicate, an interpreter will join DiMarco and Murgatroyd's rehearsals. But speculations claim that the dancing partners will have a great time dancing together because the deaf model works very hard during each dancing session.

Meanwhile, another rumor claims that pro dancer Mark Ballas will attempt to get his third Mirror Ball award with the help of the 5'4" tall mixed martial arts athlete Paige VanZant.

The speculations about VanZant's participation in the dancing competition were fueled by a Twitter post where she revealed that she will be in Los Angeles to attend a series of "training and photo shoots."

Ballas and VanZant could be one of the duos to watch out for in "Dancing with the Stars" season 22 since the dancer and the MMA fighter are known to be very competitive. They could probably be a perfect pair because of Ballas is known to be an avid MMA fan.

Another report claims that "The Facts of Life" and "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" star Kim Fields will also join "Dancing with the Stars" season 22.

Sources told ET Online about Fields' reported participation on the show. However, there is no word yet about whom Fields will be dancing with when the dance reality show returns.

The official list of celebrities and their pro partners will be revealed on "Good Morning America" on March 8.

We'll know for sure next week.

She seems to have better prospects there than Liddell did (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?55016-Dancing-with-the-Stars).

GeneChing
03-08-2016, 11:57 AM
Paige VanZant to appear on 'Dancing with the Stars' (http://espn.go.com/blog/mma/post/_/id/22990/paige-vanzant-to-appear-on-dancing-with-the-stars)

http://a3.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2015%2F0905%2Fmma_e_vancham1_r675 9_1296x518_5%2D2.jpg&w=1006&h=402&scale=crop&location=origin
UFC women's strawweight Paige VanZant, 21, will trade in her MMA gloves for dancing shoes when she joins the 22nd season of the hit ABC show. Rod Mar for ESPN
1:10 PM ET
Brett Okamoto ESPN Staff Writer

UFC women's strawweight Paige VanZant will appear as a contestant in the 22nd season of "Dancing with the Stars."

ABC announced the full cast this week. In addition to VanZant, 21, the list includes former and current NFL players in Antonio Brown, Doug Flutie and Von Miller.

The show premieres on March 21 at 10 p.m. ET. VanZant is the third high-profile mixed martial artist to compete on the show. Previous seasons have featured former UFC champions Randy Couture and Chuck Liddell.

VanZant (6-2), who trains with Team Alpha Male in Sacramento, California, signed with the UFC in 2014 and has compiled a 3-1 record in the Octagon. She is a longtime dancer and frequently posts videos of her second passion on social media.

She enters the competition fresh off the first loss of her UFC career in December, a fifth-round submission defeat to Rose Namajunas. She does not currently have a fight scheduled.

Paige is much easier on the eyes than Couture or Liddell, by any measure. ;)

GeneChing
03-25-2016, 03:23 PM
Anyone watching? Yea, me neither. :o

Lost in translation: MMA background hurting Paige VanZant on 'DWTS' (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/lost-in-translation--mma-background-hurting-paige-vanzant-on--dwts-220856656-mma.html)
By Andreas Hale
March 23, 2016 6:08 PM
Cagewriter

UFC strawweight contender Paige VanZant made her debut on Season 22 of “Dancing with the Stars” and impressed by finishing in a four-way tie for fourth place with a score of 21. Matched with pro dance partner Mark Ballas, VanZant’s foxtrot earned a trio of 7s from the judges and has seen the odds of her winning the contest improve from 10-1 to 2-1.

http://l2.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/ERlW0_JBCFCMysnyMrUkQg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3NfbGVnbztxPTg1/http://l.yimg.com/os/publish-images/sports/2016-03-10/fcc5e350-e708-11e5-88a1-3d928f6753fb_PAIGE-AND-MARK.jpg
Paige VanZant and Dancing with the Stars partner Mark Ballas. (Getty Images)

“I was really nervous,” VanZant told MMA Junkie. “The foxtrot isn’t a dance I was particularly excited about because you’re not allowed to do lifts, you’re not allowed to do certain [other] things. You have to be traditional and be in the frame, with very specific footwork. So we couldn’t be wild and crazy and have a fun routine.”
Next week will find VanZant challenged with the salsa. “We have the salsa, and it’s just an amazing routine so far," VanZant said. "I’m excited to show off the super fun side of things. [Mark] definitely knows I have areas I need to improve on. There are still little things that are hard for me to break, being an MMA fighter.”

Although VanZant is taking an extended hiatus from competing in the Octagon, the Team Alpha Male fighter is staying on top of her training regime and squeezes workouts in during her downtime. Although it can be assumed that her MMA training may assist her in this competition, VanZant said that it doesn’t help much, if at all.

“Not a lot translates over very well,” VanZant said while citing that flexibility and cardio are two small things that help her through practice. "There are a lot of techniques that are completely different [from fighting] – keeping your head up, I’m having a hard time not keeping my shoulders forward. It’s hard to break that fighter’s stance. It’s been a little difficult for me to try to break.”

We’ll see if VanZant can continue to improve when she competes on Monday’s episode.

GeneChing
04-05-2016, 05:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYbEZKSLiLM

o

m

g

:eek:

GeneChing
05-26-2016, 08:12 AM
I just made a new Paige VanZant thread (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?69534-Paige-VanZant), poached from our Paige-VanZant-vs-Felice-Herrig (http://www.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?68431-Paige-VanZant-vs-Felice-Herrig) thread.

Paige VanZant Wins Big Despite ‘Dancing With The Stars’ Loss (http://www.5thround.com/200099/paigevanzant-wins-big-despite-dancing-with-the-stars-loss/)
Written by Tom Ngo
May 25th, 2016

http://www.5thround.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/UFCDWTSPaigeVanZant.gif?51d4bc

Without question, Paige VanZant (pictured) is the best UFC fighter … to ever compete on “Dancing With The Stars.”
VanZant left UFC Hall of Famers Chuck Liddell and Randy Couture, who appeared on previous seasons of the popular dancing show, in her rear-view mirror weeks ago when it comes to ballroom blitzing.
VanZant burst out of the tiny MMA bubble and onto the mainstream with her breathtaking performances on DWTS. Although VanZant and partner Mark Ballas came up short in Tuesday’s finals against Nyle Dimarco, the UFC strawweight was plastered on millions of television sets for 10 straight weeks.
Week after week, Americans who had no idea of who PVZ was prior to the show continued to vote for the cute blonde who happens to be a cage fighter by day.
Paige VanZant is now a household name. That’s something that would have taken forever, if ever, had she remained merely a mixed martial artist, and that by itself is worth more than some tacky mirror ball trophy to put on her mantle.
When outsiders think of female MMA fighters, a person like Cris “Cyborg” Justino surely comes to mind. Former UFC bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey certainly helped crush that stereotype before VanZant showed off her fancy feet, but Rousey has never come off as graceful or lovable.
VanZant broke down a huge barrier in showing the mainstream that MMA athletes aren’t brutal neanderthals. They can in fact look and act just like your hot next door neighbor.
On the power of her strong stint on DWTS, VanZant was signed to join the cast of the upcoming movie “Kickboxer: Retaliation,” the sequel to 1989’s “Kickboxer: Vengeanace” starring Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Unfortunately for fight fans, VanZant’s success outside of the cage might now affect the next time they’ll see her inside of it. The UFC was hoping to book her for their historic UFC 200 event on July 9, but her extended run on DWTS derailed that chatter long ago. Now that Hollywood is in play, “12 Gauge’s” return to the octagon is foggier than ever.
“I’m going to remember it forever,” a gracious VanZant said after Tuesday’s loss.
America won’t soon forget her, either.

GeneChing
04-20-2017, 10:32 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh4em_TP19A